: Potential Cadillac owner with questions

CoreZman
03-15-06, 09:24 AM
Hello folks. I'm new here and really only posting to try to learn. I'm in the market for a used luxury vehicle, and I'm lloking at BMW 5's and 7's, Acura RL's, and of course, Cadillacs. I have a line on a 1999 STS that looks great but I have no idea of what I am getting into in terms of being a Cadillac owner. So what I am looking for is somewhere to learn about this specific model - the 1999 STS. It has 110K miles, garage kept, two owners, all maintenance records since the second owner bought it at 16K miles. Do these cars have fatal flaws at high mileage? Will they run forever with good care? I'm sorry to ask such basic questions but I've never even considered a Cadillac before and I'm clueless about them. If it would help, I will post the link the the sale, but I won't if it's considered rude.

Thanks.

Lord Cadillac
03-15-06, 11:35 AM
Welcome aboard.. And thank you for signing up.. Since you can get all the maintenance records, just make sure it's been well-maintained - especially the cooling system. The Northstar will last a long, long time.. I had a 1995 ETC with 110,000 miles and it ran like brand new. I drove a 1997 STS for awhile - that had 150,000 miles on it - and IT ran brand new (only the suspension was getting a little loose by then and probably needed replacement as any car with that many miles would).

I think for the years you're looking at, the Cadillac will be the more reliable, inexpensive vehicle to own/maintain.. The 1999 STS is a nice, powerful car that should keep you very happy for a long time...

CADDYBLACK99
03-16-06, 08:18 AM
Welcome CoreZman!

Thanks for signing up with us! You have come to the right place for your information search. You can start here:What to look for when buying used cadillacs (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/general-cadillac-non-model-specific-discussion/5880-what-look-when-buying-used-cadillacs.html)
Another useful link here (VIN Decode):1999 Cadillac history (http://100megsfree4.com/cadillac/cad1990/cad99.htm)

I agree with Sal, you already have alot more info than most used car buyers by having access to the maintenance history! Most of these cars are well maintained and cared for (why would you drive a car for 100K if you didn't like it or it was a money pit!?). Check the repair history against the recommended maintenance schedule(maintenance schedule) (http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#maint) for any additional items that were replaced.

My own opinion: I have a 1999 Deville (82K mi). I have had some warranty repairs ($0) 2 front struts, radio, and front stabilizers. I have repaced a set of tires (did not like the performance of the GYear rubber). Other than oil changes I have no other complaints. The ride is smooth and the performance is great for a 4K lb sedan. City mpg is 13-17 for me, but on longer trips on the hwy it is much better (20-26 mpg).

Good luck keep us posted especially if you have other questions,
:welcome:
Paul

CoreZman
03-16-06, 09:22 PM
Thanks to both of you for the friendly replies. I've got a thread in the Seville section that has gotten quick replies to my questions. I've read quite a bit here in the last few days and I'm impressed with the content and attitude of the members. Now all I need is a Cadillac and I'll start to feel like I belong!

Jetboyphx
03-16-06, 10:20 PM
Those STS's are pretty solid, I would expect about the same maintenance needs on any of the vehicles you are looking at, maybe an earlier timing belt on the Acura. The advantage to the STS is replacement parts and service for wear and tear items should be much lower.

MWA
03-26-06, 04:54 AM
CoreZman- purchased a two-owner 98 Eldorado that had been maintained well and after changing the coolant, tran fluid, and always changing the oil at 3k, it performs like no other automobile that I have owned. It had 39k and now turned 90. New michelins at 50. The DIC literally "tells me if anything is abnormal." Run the codes, write them down, if any appear, and then clear them and see if any return. It is an unbelievable luxury car. I have had to repair the fuel sender-gauge, but no other problems. (24-26mpg city, 28-30 hwy w/premium). Will change platinum plugs and wires shortly and that is the only real maintenance and it is suggested at 100k. Good luck and enjoy the 99.

Boombotz
03-26-06, 12:39 PM
Thanks to both of you for the friendly replies. I've got a thread in the Seville section that has gotten quick replies to my questions. I've read quite a bit here in the last few days and I'm impressed with the content and attitude of the members. Now all I need is a Cadillac and I'll start to feel like I belong!

Good luck and let us know what you have decided. Hopefully we here you are in a Caddy. Good luck.