: Row, Row, Row your boat

blackonblackonblack
03-15-06, 03:25 AM
I finally got my UUC installed and i'm still disapointed with the shifts. What do you guys think about the CAGS eliminator? Is there anything else I can do to my tranny to make it shift better? My friend (supercharged s2k owner) says that shifting my car is like rowing a boat. I have the urethane bushings in my UUC and i oiled it as well as i could, but it is still jamming between gears, and the shifts are too long.

Texan V
03-15-06, 08:20 AM
Wow, that's the first neg post I've seen about a UUC. I wouldn't think that a shifter would alleviate sticking between gears but rather just firm up the feel and shorten the throw. Maybe you have a clutch engagement or tranny prob that's causing the sticking between gears. If you haven't already gotten the CAGS, do it. It's the best and most affordable mod I have done.

04CTSVFLA
03-15-06, 11:56 AM
what did u oil...im starting to get a metal on metal type of noise when shifting my b&m into 1st....

ctsvett
03-15-06, 02:04 PM
Make the dealer (or do it yourself) change the tranny fluid... Go dextron 6 if you can.

Reed

Imperator
03-15-06, 02:16 PM
Meh, don't listen to your friend. He's used to driving an S2000, which probably has the shortest throws and best mechanical feel of any production-spec shifter. You've taken the necessary precautions, and it's your opinion that matters anyhow.

Daffy
03-15-06, 02:42 PM
Not a good comparison for sure .. our Turbo S Beetle shifter is tight & short on the throws, but it's 190hp too.

Main thing is the difference in what it was like stock vs now with the shifter & bushings, to me this is the big bonus, the improvement.

My 03 Cobra Mustang has esentially the same tranny, the position of the shifter isn't as good as the V, but the shifts are much cleaner & smoother, so the V definitely has its shifting nuances, but again where did you start vs how it is now. I like the earlier post about changing fluid, I wonder how that would be, I may consider that myself.

D.

ctsvett
03-15-06, 03:17 PM
For me, I just had the bushings isntalled last week (the Lasstss ones from lindsay cadillac)... I had MAJOR shifting issues prior to the install. However, after the install my shifting problems are reduced about 85 %... I still have problems with 1st sometimes- more rarely- and reverse a bit, but no longer do I have issues with 3rd or any other gear...

I recommend this simple inexpensive mod 100%.

Call james @ lindsay cadillac.

Reed

diverdan
03-15-06, 03:20 PM
The Tremec T-56 is never going to be as smooth and crisp as a transmission for a much lower torque engine. If I remember correctly, it has square cut gears, as opposed to beveled ones, to give it additional strength to tolerate high torque engines. If you took the tranny from an S2000 and shoehorned it into a V it would detonate in short order because it wasn't built to hand that much torque.

Carnalsupply
03-15-06, 03:36 PM
The bushings everyone is speaking of, where exactly do they go?
What is the standard fluid in the tranny, as compared to the Dextron 6 recommended here?
Thanks.

diverdan
03-15-06, 03:44 PM
I noticed an improvement in the shifting of the T-56s in my Z06 and GTO when I put Amsoil synthetic in them. There are others who swear by Red Line and Royal Purple synthetics.
I would have put Amsoil in my V already..... If I wasn't waiting for the dealer to get the new tranny to go in it.:bigroll:

Ak Jim
03-15-06, 04:51 PM
As far a straight cut vs beveled gears I think only the most hard core applications use straight cut gears. This is due to the large amount of gear "whine" (I know, my kids must have straigt cut gears in them!) that they produce. While they are noisy they are very strong.

lasstss
03-15-06, 04:56 PM
We should solicit comments from the 2006 guys. There are supposed to be many improvement on the 06 tremec. I have a laundry list.

As far as shorter shifts, the end link is about as close to the rotating driveshaft as you would feel comfortable with. UUC did their homework with the length. Unfortunately for a remote shifter, this is about as good as it gets.

blackonblackonblack
03-15-06, 10:58 PM
I greased the bushings and the bearings.

The CAGS looks like a very simple install, so i'm going to order that tomorrow.

I'm taking my car to the mobil station down the street with afew quarts of Amsoil, i just need to find someone who has it, I'm also going to get my diff fluid changed.

I want to go drive an '06 now to see how it shifts. If my tranny gives out on me, i'll have to upgrade it to the '06

Jschmank
03-15-06, 11:40 PM
Definitely put on the CAGS. VERY simple to install, get the StealthV one. Nothing is more frustrating than being locked out of 2nd and 3rd gear.

sotxmike
03-16-06, 12:08 AM
I finally got the UUC installed with the lasstss bushings finished tonight. On the ground and out the garage. This is a tremendous improvement over stock. Short throws and PRECISE !!! Before I could be in 4th thinking it was 6th or ocassionally 3rd when I wanted 5th. The slop is gone. GM would be well advised to make this improvement. Thank you James at Lindsay & Lasstss !!

calicadi
03-17-06, 11:27 AM
Definitely get the CAGS Elim. That's a 10 minute DIY. That in itself will probably make it feel like a whole new transmission to you. As I recall, neither the B&M (which I have) nor the UUC advertise more than a 25% to 30% decrease in overall shifter throw. Set your expectations accordingly. That said, the 25 to 30 percent improvement feels very good to me and sacrifices only a small amount of increased shifter effort. The T-56 was built for handling high-horse power and for reliability. Only custom racing boxes do better and many racers use T-56's right out of the box.

obzidian
03-17-06, 11:41 AM
dont worry about it. I haven't driven a V with the shifter mod but when i had my whole shifter assembly replaced, it was as if I added a short throw on it.

Also, you can't compare yours to that torque monster of a s2k. Its a different feel and im almost certain its a direct mount whereas ours is on a linkage.

Hey, you wanta feel even more dissappointed, drive a 87-89 rx-7 that isnt all trashed and you'll see what it means to change gears with only your wrist. Or even the newer rx-8'z, really nice shifter assembly....

Davidstan
03-17-06, 01:53 PM
My 06 is slightly more precise than the 05 i test drove before my purchase. The shifts are easier no doubt but the throws are still too long.