: Does money change people?

SpeedyArizona
03-14-06, 07:07 PM
A simple question with a simple answer. What do you think?

P.S. Anyone know a good bookie, I have a few bets to wager on March Madness:bighead: .

Jonas McFeely
03-14-06, 07:19 PM
A simple question with a simple answer. What do you think?

P.S. Anyone know a good bookie, I have a few bets to wager on March Madness:bighead: .

Dude,for real,i love your controversial polls,no sarcasm either.I wish i had the balls to do that.Im kinda scared ever since i made that CADILLAC OWNERS: CONSERVATIVE OR LIBERAL thread,which in my opinion,could have been awesome.But whatever...

mccombie_5
03-14-06, 08:27 PM
Money changes lots of people, my dad's sister (my aunt) married into a rich family, and turned into a snob, her husband pulling in 400k a year with ease due to a family business, they divorced and she;s humbled herself somewhat, their sons stayed with their dad, so the settlement wasn't as big as it could have been, and she's living well, but not half as well as she was. She went frombeing chauffeur driven in a Lexus LS430, to driving herself in a 2003 Audi TT, I'ts nice, just not as nice. She used to live in some 1.2m mansion in a very exclusive area, now she lives in a quayside apartment, is all nice, just not as good.

Shes much more down to earth now and my family are much more receptive of her.

On the same stretch money tends to magnify people's personality more than change, some people change, but most dont, they are just how they were magnified.

For example, if you're an a-hole, then you get money, you're likely to end up as more of an a-hole

Same way that if youre a good person, you're likely to end up to be more of a good person if you get money.

FredMaxwell
03-14-06, 08:27 PM
Money doesn't change anyone
Money gives a man more freedom and freedom brings out his true nature.

powerglide
03-14-06, 08:37 PM
Money changes people.
I experienced it first hand.

Give a kid straight out of school a couple hundred thousand dollars a year and watch what happens.

That same kid will be pullin down a million bucks a few years later. I assure you, he is not the same guy he was in school.

Rolex
03-14-06, 08:59 PM
Yes. Of course money changes people. Really good people might change a little, but they'll remain really good people. People who change into arseholes had it in them to begin with IMO.

ETA: I didn't vote. My answer is YES.....some in a good way, some in a bad way.

FastCTS
03-14-06, 09:20 PM
YES it would positively change me, I could help a lot more people. :thumbsup:

EcSTSatic
03-14-06, 09:32 PM
That's what Whittaker thought when he won the largest single lottery.
News at 11:00 (http://www.lotterypost.com/news-102910.htm)

LittleB
03-14-06, 09:37 PM
Money doesn't change anyone
Money gives a man more freedom and freedom brings out his true nature.

I like that...good point. I definitely think there are cases though where it truly is the money that changes people. The more money you have, the more materialistic you become. The more you are surrounded by superficial people who may have other motives, or aren't as genuine....I don't personally know anyone that has changed by being rich, I guess my observations are mainly from movies/tv shows/reality tv....

Destroyer
03-14-06, 09:49 PM
It changed my life thats for sure. I'm not an ultra rich guy by any means but I'm a hell of a lot better off than I used to be. A few years ago I was your average guy massively in debt like most everyone else. Made a few real good investments and got out of debt completely, bought a huge house cash, a few nice but not ultra expensive cars, etc.. Thing is that when you have hit rock bottom and are in debt like I used to be (big mortgage, car payments, credit cards) and if you are lucky enought to get out of that hole, you never want to go back. In all honesty, I do less foolish spending now that I have money than I did when I was technically less than broke and just bought stuff on credit. I have it, I earned it and god damnit I want to keep it and make more.

Have I changed?. I dont know if I necessarily changed or the people around me did because of my moderate success. I mean, when with old friends if they start complaining about financial troubles they stop and look at me and say things like "you have money, you wouldn't understand" or "must be nice not to have to worry about bills". When I was in the same situation as them it seemed like we got along better, now I sometimes get treated like an out of touch snob even if I dont say a word. Thing is that now I see the mistakes I used to make loud and clear yet if I point out to someone that they are making a mistake they take it the wrong way. Refinancing a home to take vacations or buying nice cars, interest only loans, balloon loans, taking money out of IRA's, etc...., all very stupid moves in my book and I'm always trying to help old friends from making these mistakes but somehow I'm the bad guy for opening my mouth so I try to STFU now.

In the end I think money might change people, for the better or worse? Depends which people around them you ask. I think my wife and kids will definately attest its for the better and thats all that really counts to me.

LittleB
03-14-06, 09:54 PM
It changed my life thats for sure. I'm not an ultra rich guy by any means but I'm a hell of a lot better off than I used to be. A few years ago I was your average guy massively in debt like most everyone else. Made a few real good investments and got out of debt completely, bought a huge house cash, a few nice but not ultra expensive cars, etc.. Thing is that when you have hit rock bottom and are in debt like I used to be (big mortgage, car payments, credit cards) and if you are lucky enought to get out of that hole, you never want to go back. In all honesty, I do less foolish spending now that I have money than I did when I was technically less than broke and just bought stuff on credit. I have it, I earned it and god damnit I want to keep it and make more.

Have I changed?. I dont know if I necessarily changed or the people around me did because of my moderate success. I mean, when with old friends if they start complaining about financial troubles they stop and look at me and say things like "you have money, you wouldn't understand" or "must be nice not to have to worry about bills". When I was in the same situation as them it seemed like we got along better, now I sometimes get treated like an out of touch snob even if I dont say a word. Thing is that now I see the mistakes I used to make loud and clear yet if I point out to someone that they are making a mistake they take it the wrong way. Refinancing a home to take vacations or buying nice cars, interest only loans, balloon loans, taking money out of IRA's, etc...., all very stupid moves in my book and I'm always trying to help old friends from making these mistakes but somehow I'm the bad guy for opening my mouth so I try to STFU now.

In the end I think money might change people, for the better or worse? Depends which people around them you ask. I think my wife and kids will definately attest its for the better and thats all that really counts to me.

Nice to hear your perspective. I've said that to a few people i know before (like "Must be nice to not have to worry about that" etc.) I think it's different when you have been at rock bottom before, or when you know what it is like to be without money. I think people tend to stay grounded when they were unfortunate earlier in their lives, which is a good thing. I can't stand watching "Sweet Sixteen" on MTV. It's about these 16 year olds that have no budget what so ever for their Sweet Sixteen parties and they are SUCH disrespectful, non appreciative little brats! LOL Anyway congrats on your success :thumbsup:

Kev
03-14-06, 10:13 PM
Technically I think the answer is no and that's what I voted.

Money is a tool. It's how we deal with it, the lack or abundance or the desire for it. Greed baby! That changes people in a bad way. Contentment, that's a good thing whether you have a lot or a little. Knowing how to use money wisely and in a positive and constructive manner is a very valuable quality.

That's my two cents on the subject.

LittleB
03-14-06, 10:15 PM

Money is a tool. It's how we deal with it, the lack or abundance or the desire for it. Greed baby! That changes people in a bad way. Contentment, that's a good thing whether you have a lot or a little. Knowing how to use money wisely and in a positive and constructive manner is a very valuable quality.

I like your answer as well :thumbsup:

SpeedyArizona
03-14-06, 10:28 PM
I personally don't think money changes most people. I have a friend from college that has made something of himself and he is still the fun-loving and generous guy he was in college. He was brought up in a family of 7 children, so he was usually not the center of attention. His family wasn't neccesarily poor, but they had it tougher than most. He grew up with some values that helped him later in life, and I think that family values are one of those things that stick with you for the rest of your life.

He was taught to respect people and how important it was to honor your promises and vows. He has made his life and the life of his family comfortable. Lets just say he makes triple what I make a year...

I believe that the person doesn't neccesarily change, but the people around him do.

Florian
03-14-06, 10:45 PM

Well put...

F

Elvis
03-14-06, 11:00 PM
I hate money.

I love what you can do with it.

I wish I had more of it.

It changes people for the worse.

I hate worrying about it.

I laughed my ass off at Rolex's signature pic. I used it once.

CVP33
03-14-06, 11:01 PM
Before you read further, you can interchange money and power as in a capitalist society both go hand in hand.

#1 The man who says money doesn't change you has had money his entire life and can't imagine life without it.

#2 The man who says money changes you had issues before that the new found money became the easy blame for.

#3 The man who says money can or may change you if you allow it to, probably started with nothing and now has some or a lot but had the moral grounding to maintain himself throughout.

I subscribe to #3 but am constantly surrounded by people in categories #1 and #2. I will not be changed by money or power. I will use both to help my family and others around me less fortunate.

Here's a great quote I love.

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

Elvis
03-14-06, 11:09 PM
That's wisdom, there.

FredMaxwell
03-15-06, 12:03 AM
Just read what I posted

Sandy
03-15-06, 12:16 AM
It changed me! Made me kinder, more understanding, sweeter, and alot calmer. Brought down the blood pressure and allowed me to retire at 55. Also made a few friends that I really liked, drop me because they were very jealous. That part I didn't like. Good people will stay good and bad people will stay nasty. Money makes your life easier, but rarely alters ones character or how they treat others.

CVP33
03-15-06, 12:36 AM
It changed me! Made me kinder, more understanding, sweeter, and alot calmer. Brought down the blood pressure and allowed me to retire at 55. Also made a few friends that I really liked, drop me because they were very jealous. That part I didn't like. Good people will stay good and bad people will stay nasty. Money makes your life easier, but rarely alters ones character or how they treat others.

Well said. And by the way, I knew this was a thread you couldn't resist. :thumbsup:

addison_ii
03-15-06, 02:03 AM
I'll share a personal experience: When I was young my parents had a lot of money. We had a nice house with a nice piece of adjoining property, 6 cars, dad's closet full, mom's closet full, and my sibling and I had everything. A few years later we lost everything and my siblings(1 new addition) were forced to live with my Grandma(due to a Fed enforced vacation for parents)(age 9). while living with Granny we had nothing, I mean thrift shop clothing, stitched with other people's names on them, I wore girl knockoffs of Chuck Taylors for 2 years(the same pair), being treated like scum, the whole kit and caboodle. When the vacation for my parents was over I lived with my mom(age 12) and things picked up a little. Later on when I was 13, I went to live with my dad and he received a nice settlement. Well I turned into a brat, I mean I thought I was better than everyone just because I got dropped off at school in new Lincoln, had the newest Sega console, and etc. Within a year all of it was gone due to my father, becoming an addict. So I have been at both ends of the spectrum, and now though I'm not rich, I spend wisely(cheaply), and save as much as possible. So it's the person's perception of themselves and others that changes when money comes into play.

Spyder
03-15-06, 02:30 AM
Sandy and Kev, I agree with the both of ya...excellent views, which I hadn't thought of in quite that way before. Thankee sai...

Sandy
03-15-06, 08:20 AM
Well said. And by the way, I knew this was a thread you couldn't resist. :thumbsup:

Ummm? How So ??

Rolex
03-15-06, 09:30 AM
That's what Whittaker thought when he won the largest single lottery.
News at 11:00 (http://www.lotterypost.com/news-102910.htm)

Seems like Whittaker was a boozer, womanizer, and compulsive gambler to begin with. Having the jack to finance his bad habits just made him worse.

I think money making people bad is akin to people who say drinking alcohol makes them mean. I like how CVP33 says it in his post, and I believe myself to fit in to the #3 category. My wife and I both came from small farming towns in SE Arkansas and worked our way through college and grad school. We both remember where we started and where we came from. That keeps us grateful for all that we have.

I laughed my ass off at Rolex's signature pic. I used it once.

:thumbsup:

bigmutt
03-15-06, 02:24 PM
So it's not the money that changes people, it's the person's perceptionof themselves and others that changes when money comes into play.
So what you're saying is that when money comes into play, it changes the person's perception of themselves and others, right?
your words, I just changed the order to illustrate that you're actually saying that money DOES change people.

I agree; money (aka: power) changes people by changing their perception of themselves and others.
I wager everyone on this forum feels very differently driving a cadillac than driving a ...... well, what shall we pick: a Pinto?? does that "date" me too much??? y'know what I mean.

I don't believe anyone who says they're still the same generous guy they were before they became "rich" (richer, whatever). Generous is giving that beggar on the street the 50 cents you were planning on spending on a Pepsi but now you can't (because you also are poor); it's not donating that five grand to charity now that you can afford it.
Ancient parables, found all over the bible, koran, etc. things haven't changed in these respects since those days. money makes it a lot easier to delude yourself, sooth your conscience.

FastCTS
03-15-06, 03:47 PM
We judge other people on what WE would do. I have never forgotten where I came from or what I didn't have. I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty, I'm happy to have the glass and I'll fill it up. Before I retired some of my coworkers would ask me, why do you always help people? I told them if I have to explain the feeling I get when I help others, your never understand. We are who we are and if money can change you then there is a problem, it should only change what you can buy and who you can help.
Maybe our views have something to do with age, I'm over 60. :)

boricuacaddy
03-15-06, 04:06 PM
Well, I know first hands how money changes people. When I first got married, my wife and I didn't have any money, we lived from check to check. We were happy. We didn't care, because we had each other to love. Eventually I ended up getting a good paying job and bought things we could never afford before. I got her a brand new car, house and anything she wanted. But the happiness wasn't the same it was like the money was making a different kind of happiness for us. I ended up getting injured at work and was laid up for awhile and the money wasn't coming in like before. To make a long story short my wife ended up divorcing me and ended up with a good chunk of money. If I had to do it all again I would have preferred to be not too well off and happy, than well off and very miserable.

David

Jonas McFeely
03-15-06, 04:10 PM
This thread is pointless in my opinion.I could argue all day about the scemantics and what not of how money does or does not change people.The people who have money will swear up and down it didnt change who they are,the poeple who dont have money will swear up and down it does because they know somebody who did change.

One of my best friends is very wealthy,or at least her mom is(2006 SL 500 and a Rolls Royce Corniche II and house in Winter Park FL.)She has a few million to say the least.The girl is total snob and has had everything given to her her whole life.But i love her for who she is.Not her money and her snobby rich attitude.She has never not had money,and is a total snob.Thus money did not make her that way.She was born that way.

I however,grew up pretty poor.Never really had all that much when i was younger.Then a little later in my life,my father was doing alot better and my quality of life improved.I stayed the same.Then i was making alot of money on my own after i moved out.I stayed the same,if anything i was more generous.I'd take my friends out to dinner alot and buy them things all the time.I no longer have the cash flow i once did.I am the same

What im trying to say is,if youre raised to act like a respectable human being,you will act like that.Money i think has nothing to do with it.My friend,was born with money,and shes just a snob because she knows nothing else.I was born without money,and im reasonably respectful because thats what i was taught.Then when i got money,i still had foundation i was raised on,so i didnt change me because i was appreciative of what i had.Some people are different and are HIGHLY influenced by outside variables.im not one of those people.

In general,money changes only the weak spirited in my opinion.

If your taught to be a good person,you will remain that way no matter what.

For some reason i think this post doesnt make sense... oh yeah i replied to what i said was pointless,ehhh,whatever

Jesda
03-15-06, 04:30 PM
Money -> Comfort -> Happiness

Destroyer
03-15-06, 04:50 PM
This thread is pointless in my opinion.I could argue all day about the scemantics and what not of how money does or does not change people.The people who have money will swear up and down it didnt change who they are,the poeple who dont have money will swear up and down it does because they know somebody who did change.

One of my best friends is very wealthy,or at least her mom is(2006 SL 500 and a Rolls Royce Corniche II and house in Winter Park FL.)She has a few million to say the least.The girl is total snob and has had everything given to her her whole life.But i love her for who she is.Not her money and her snobby rich attitude.She has never not had money,and is a total snob.Thus money did not make her that way.She was born that way.

I however,grew up pretty poor.Never really had all that much when i was younger.Then a little later in my life,my father was doing alot better and my quality of life improved.I stayed the same.Then i was making alot of money on my own after i moved out.I stayed the same,if anything i was more generous.I'd take my friends out to dinner alot and buy them things all the time.I no longer have the cash flow i once did.I am the same

What im trying to say is,if youre raised to act like a respectable human being,you will act like that.Money i think has nothing to do with it.My friend,was born with money,and shes just a snob because she knows nothing else.I was born without money,and im reasonably respectful because thats what i was taught.Then when i got money,i still had foundation i was raised on,so i didnt change me because i was appreciative of what i had.Some people are different and are HIGHLY influenced by outside variables.im not one of those people.

For some reason i think this post doesnt make sense... oh yeah i replied to what i said was pointless,ehhh,whatever
If she is such a snob why do you love her?. So she has no respect because she (or her mother) have money?. Basically what you are saying is that because you were born pretty poor you have a solid foundation but your friend that was born rich is just a snobby person with no respect albeit she cant help it cause she was born that way. Sorry man just trying to piece this post together so I understand the moral of the story. Makes perfect sense :highfive: .

LittleB
03-15-06, 05:12 PM

That was sort of confusing. It sounds like you are saying she would've been a snob no matter what, but how can you say that when she has only experienced growing up with money? If she were less fortunate, she may not have the same attitude...we'll never know though.

OffThaHorseCEO
03-15-06, 06:34 PM
i know the post is about large sums of money, millions i guess, or at least hundreds of thousands, but, i noticed something in myself. i actually become more humble when i have more money, a few hundred extra, maybe a grand extra, im broke 99 percent of the time but i play around like im a balla etc (comments like,"yea im a balla i thought you knew") but when i come across that extra cash i dont mention it at all, like im tryin not to put it in peoples faces and stuff. maybe that makes no sense but....yea

i always think that if i had mad cash, id be a good person, ive actually thought out scenarios where im a rich rich man, and im walkin down the street when an unfortunate person asks for spare change, so i say tell you wat, come with me, offer em a place to stay and a meal and job

i agree with CVP33

also, 85evergreenbrougham i think she acts the way she does because shes had money all her life, its that rich old money attitude

urbanski
03-15-06, 06:34 PM
Money -> Comfort -> Happiness
dang man...i dunno
i make more now than when i was younger....but then i stress about making even more, lol
then you read the lottery winners who kill themselves point out that you can't always be happy

LittleB
03-15-06, 06:59 PM
haha more money more problems!! (not that I would know...it's just a song) :D

CVP33
03-15-06, 07:26 PM
Ummm? How So ??

You PM'd me regarding a thread that had parenting as the subject matter. I suspect that you weigh in on the meatier topics rather than the usual "how do you like my new tint?" threads. Just an observation, not an accusation. :thumbsup:

Jonas McFeely
03-15-06, 08:16 PM
If she is such a snob why do you love her?. So she has no respect because she (or her mother) have money?. Basically what you are saying is that because you were born pretty poor you have a solid foundation but your friend that was born rich is just a snobby person with no respect albeit she cant help it cause she was born that way. Sorry man just trying to piece this post together so I understand the moral of the story. Makes perfect sense :highfive: .

Yeah now that read it over,it is a bit confusing,i was typing fast and my brain was going faster than i could type and it came out funny.My comparison was a bit confusing.Moral of the story is that the way she was raised affected the way she acted.Not her getting money and changing.Her mom has always had money,and she always had money.Her mom raised her to only accept the finest of everything with no exceptions.Which kind of made her think she was elite,or better,kind of.She was born into this and cannot help it,thus money did not change her,because she would have known nothing else,rich or poor,because her mom raised her that way. Though Little B made a good point in saying what if she never had money in the first place,would she be different?Maybe,probably.But would she have changed if she came accross money?Maybe.I dont think so though.Because behind her snobbyness,she is a great person and fun to be around,just doesnt have a good perception of reality.DAMMIT! you guys are right,this doesnt make alot of sense,i keep typing things and then deleting it because it doesnt make sense.Im trying to look at it from the readers point of view and it sounds retarded.I could explain it better by talking,its kinda hard to type it make any sense.Whatever,money is cool,i like it,i wish i had more of it,fun stuff....

LittleB
03-15-06, 09:20 PM
Yeah now that read it over,it is a bit confusing,i was typing fast and my brain was going faster than i could type and it came out funny.My comparison was a bit confusing.Moral of the story is that the way she was raised affected the way she acted.Not her getting money and changing.Her mom has always had money,and she always had money.Her mom raised her to only accept the finest of everything with no exceptions.Which kind of made her think she was elite,or better,kind of.She was born into this and cannot help it,thus money did not change her,because she would have known nothing else,rich or poor,because her mom raised her that way. Though Little B made a good point in saying what if she never had money in the first place,would she be different?Maybe,probably.But would she have changed if she came accross money?Maybe.I dont think so though.Because behind her snobbyness,she is a great person and fun to be around,just doesnt have a good perception of reality.DAMMIT! you guys are right,this doesnt make alot of sense,i keep typing things and then deleting it because it doesnt make sense.Im trying to look at it from the readers point of view and it sounds retarded.I could explain it better by talking,its kinda hard to type it make any sense.Whatever,money is cool,i like it,i wish i had more of it,fun stuff....

:histeric: HAHAHAHA! It's ok, I think we get what you are trying to say. I agree that her being snobby probably has a lot to do with how she was raised, BUT her mother probably wouldn't be the same, or have raised her the same, if she were without all that money. We'll just never know ;)

Jonas McFeely
03-15-06, 09:25 PM
:histeric: HAHAHAHA! It's ok, I think we get what you are trying to say. I agree that her being snobby probably has a lot to do with how she was raised, BUT her mother probably wouldn't be the same, or have raised her the same, if she were without all that money. We'll just never know ;)

Agreed

FSU_Noles
03-15-06, 11:16 PM

.. and have you signed up for our very own cadillac forums march madness??

FredMaxwell
03-16-06, 04:46 AM
Folks I think it is pretty simple.. like I say, when someone has alot of money they have more guts.
They express their true nature when they feel more free to do so.

It really is that simple.

Even when you come into alot of money and people treat you differently and you change your attitude or behavior.. it is still due to your own nature which lead you to be impressionable enough to respond to others in that way.. Or if you grow a huge ego when you come into alot of money, again, it is your true nature coming out.

Me for example.. when I had alot of money I enjoyed my freedom - I was very generous, I didn't like to flash cash around but I didn't go out of my way hiding anything I had either.

A lack of money has showed me better sides of myself I never knew were there. I've learned how to be more tolerant, more adaptable and more self sufficient whereas if I would have continued to have alot of money.. the freedom to NOT be forced into discovering these things would have prevented me from doing so.

Yet again.. it's all about your individual nature. We're human.
Money is freedom and physical comfort to a human being.
Freedom to live and act however you care to.
Freedom to move about.
Freedom to do just as you please.
Money is Freedom.
Nothing more and nothing less.
Period.

I guess not many people agreed with my original post because it was so short but if you'll look over it you'll notice that it said exactly what this whole few paragraphs says.

There is no use in overthinking anything.. this question it's pretty simply answered.

FredMaxwell
03-16-06, 04:49 AM
I like that...good point. I definitely think there are cases though where it truly is the money that changes people. The more money you have, the more materialistic you become. The more you are surrounded by superficial people who may have other motives, or aren't as genuine....I don't personally know anyone that has changed by being rich, I guess my observations are mainly from movies/tv shows/reality tv....

Thank you Ms. LittleB

I believe that all of those changes couldn't happen if they were truly against an individual persons nature... I agree that those things seem to happen to people,
I just have an odd way of explaining the reason behind it I imagine :)

Kev
03-16-06, 09:17 AM
Folks I think it is pretty simple.. like I say, when someone has alot of money they have more guts.
They express their true nature when they feel more free to do so.

It really is that simple.

Even when you come into alot of money and people treat you differently and you change your attitude or behavior.. it is still due to your own nature which lead you to be impressionable enough to respond to others in that way.. Or if you grow a huge ego when you come into alot of money, again, it is your true nature coming out.

Me for example.. when I had alot of money I enjoyed my freedom - I was very generous, I didn't like to flash cash around but I didn't go out of my way hiding anything I had either.

A lack of money has showed me better sides of myself I never knew were there. I've learned how to be more tolerant, more adaptable and more self sufficient whereas if I would have continued to have alot of money.. the freedom to NOT be forced into discovering these things would have prevented me from doing so.

Yet again.. it's all about your individual nature. We're human.
Money is freedom and physical comfort to a human being.
Freedom to live and act however you care to.
Freedom to move about.
Freedom to do just as you please.
Money is Freedom.
Nothing more and nothing less.
Period.

I guess not many people agreed with my original post because it was so short but if you'll look over it you'll notice that it said exactly what this whole few paragraphs says.

There is no use in overthinking anything.. this question it's pretty simply answered.I think you are pretty close here but to put it more simply and more accurately;

Money is a defense.

70eldo
03-16-06, 10:37 AM
In my experience I would say more money doesn't neccesarily make more happy, but up to a certain point less money does make unhappy!!!!

And it really depends on the person in what way it affects personality. In my case my personality didn't change, but I am sure more happy now than before!