: heated seat issue

BCs71
03-14-06, 06:15 PM
NODIH's post about bad lumber seat feature (fuse) reminded me to post about my problem.

Ever since I got the car (2003 I think it was) the heated seat feature doesn't seem to work for the passenger or driver's side. Since I park the car for the winter I have never made time to look into it and figure out what the issue is.
I once looked for a fuse and IIRC they all looked good.....

When I flip the switch the LED light next to it lights up to indicate "on". But never seems to get warm at all.....

Just wondering if you guys have seen this before or worked on yours before I dig into mine. I have a factory service manual but haven;t even looked for the seats in there yet. Just fishing right now for suggestions.

Thanks

N0DIH
03-15-06, 01:22 PM
Well, the car I have had a problem with it before I bought it. The owner fixed it himself, said there was a bad wire on it. Don't know if both seats failed, but the drivers side did (he was single and not that many people rode there needing the heat)

Mine will toast you pretty good on high, so you will know for sure when it is on!

brougham
03-15-06, 08:19 PM
Well the easiest way to figure out what's wrong is to look in the service manual since you have one. It should say how to to check everything. And you can also do a search for it because it seems to be pretty normal for heated seats to stop working and a lot of people ask about it.

N0DIH
11-05-06, 04:26 PM
My heated seat problem current is similar to BCs71's, it is non functional on drivers side only.

Light on, no heat. Pass side seems ok from my wife said.

I am digging.....

Anyone with advice on what is common?

BCs71
11-06-06, 02:34 PM
NODIH,

I'm pretty sure you have the FSM? If not, I posted pages from the FSM on how to fix the heated seats a little while back:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1985-deville-fleetwood-1985/84875-broken-seat-heat-question.html

I still haven't looked into mine. I wish they worked, it has been cold enough some days lately where I definitely would want my butt toasty!

N0DIH
11-06-06, 05:20 PM
I have to pull the seat to get to the pins, I can't get to them. Bet it is the heater element. They put them in series (probably to keep costs down to only have 1 thermistor to measure temp), so if one goes, both are dead.

I have power and the relay clicks, but no heat. Drivers side only. There is 2 sources of power to it. I will rewrite the procedure, GM's is lousy, I can do it much easier. It obviously wasn't written by someone who knows how to troubleshoot well.

BCs71
11-08-06, 02:11 PM
Cool, let me know what you find out.
Caddycruiser posted a thread at Enigma a while back with pics of what a Fleetwood seat looks like when taken apart. May be worth a look, it shows the heat element.

rolingcoffe
02-13-07, 09:12 AM
Hey i ran down the same problem on my 99 STS. I have no idea if my solution could help you guys, but long story short, a wire heated up and broke. I took the seat base apart, found the scorch mark and the two charred ends of the wire. Cut the charred part off and soldered it back together. A little duct tape to hold it in place and I was done. Works great now.