: Rough Idle And Stalling

PAGEJR
03-14-06, 05:06 PM
I Am Having A Problem With Rough Idling And My Car Stall Sometimes When I Put It Into Reverse. I Eleimated The Cat Because It Was Clogged. I Still Have The Same Problem Though. I Took A Volt Meter To The Battery As The Car Was Running And Noticed That The Voltage Would Go Up And Down. From 8.5 To 13 Volts. Is This Normal? I Read A Couple Of Posts And I May Need A New Ignition Coil And Pack. Anyway To Test This To See If Indeed I Need A New Coil? The Car Is A 1990 Brougham D'elegance With 150k Miles. Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated. I Sold My 99 Durango To Get This Car So Im Trying To Keep It As Long As Possible. Always Wanted The Oldschool Caddy!!

settlepa
03-15-06, 08:30 AM
May want to mention what year and model you have. Sorry didnt see that.

PAGEJR
03-15-06, 09:12 AM
ARE THERE ANY TECHS IN THIS FORUM? AS STATED ABOVE THE CAR IS A 1990 BROUGHAM D'ELEGANCE WITH 150K MILES ON IT. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.:thumbsup:

85_fleetwood
03-15-06, 12:15 PM
Take the car to you local parts store (ie. Autozone, Advance, etc).

Most of them will do a free test of your charging system. If your voltage is irregular like that you may want to do that first before you look into the ignition system.

I assume you've replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor button recently? They cause symtoms you are mentioning if you don't replace them regularly.