: Wipers stopped working

85_fleetwood
03-14-06, 01:15 PM
I've got an 85 Fleetwood Brougham with HT4100 engine. The wipers stopped working and I can't figure it out.

The manual and the schematic both say that there is a fuse AND a circuit breaker. The fuse is good but I can't find a circuit breaker for it anywhere. I've searched high and low. Took the motor case apart and still see no circuit breaker. The manual says all i have to do is reset this circuit breaker and the wipers will work again.

Anybody know anything about the location of this circuit breaker for the wiper motor?!?!?

Thanks

Jonas McFeely
03-14-06, 01:45 PM
beautiful Fleetwood!The last year they made those coupes.I think it was the last year of the best Fleetwood's in my opinion.After 85 they didnt offer as many colors and they just wernt as unique.Also you never see any 85's,I think youre one of the few on here,if not 1 of 2.

As for the wipers,i had the same problem,but only when it was cold outside.So i really dont know.Not sure on circuit breaker location either.Someone here does though.

Katshot
03-14-06, 01:56 PM
As I recall, there's 2 fuses, not a fuse and breaker. Check the "Wiper" fuse and the "Ga-Trans" fuse.

85_fleetwood
03-14-06, 02:01 PM
OK, I'll check it out and see if that's it.

Thanks

FYI, I've been driving with a squeegee on standby in the backseat. I stole it from a gas station!!!!

85_fleetwood
03-14-06, 02:22 PM
I checked the "Ga-Trans" fuse and it's fine. Damn.

When the problem started the last time I used the wipers they started geeking out on high and wouldn't turn off. I just shut the car off and they haven't worked since.

dill
03-14-06, 09:29 PM
I had a problim with mine 87 brougham I removed it from the car last fall and over the winter looked at it close under the plastic cover. The coil where it is soldered to the connectors was broken away. I unwinded the coil one turn to make it reach the connector and resoldered it. Did not get a chanse to put it back on the car for a test yet will try tomorrow if it's fine. Be careful unwindineg the coil as it is very thin.

85_fleetwood
03-14-06, 11:39 PM
beautiful Fleetwood!The last year they made those coupes.I think it was the last year of the best Fleetwood's in my opinion.After 85 they didnt offer as many colors and they just wernt as unique.Also you never see any 85's,I think youre one of the few on here,if not 1 of 2.

As for the wipers,i had the same problem,but only when it was cold outside.So i really dont know.Not sure on circuit breaker location either.Someone here does though.

Thanks for the props!! I just got the car and absolutely love it. I bought it from a really good friend in Huntsville. It's got just over 80,000 miles on it, rebuilt tranny and runs like a champ. Someone took really good care of it. Just got to put some new shocks on it and new tires. And a couple small things with the interior. I think I'll keep it for a while. I used to have a 74 Calais with a 472 in it, but it was a real heap. Ran good, though.

dill
03-15-06, 01:50 PM
Wiper motor didn't work today,back to the work bench.

85_fleetwood
03-15-06, 11:03 PM
Man, I can't figure anything out. I'm afraid I'm just gonna have to replace the wiper motor.

Series75
03-16-06, 10:00 AM
You should also check the wiper switch. I've had to fix the one on our '82 Series 75 twice. The backing plate may be loose and the slider switch inside may not be making contact anymore. Once everything gets lined up inside again, a little hot glue around the backing plate will hold it in place again.

Dave

dill
03-18-06, 07:46 PM
I got my wipers working today. Had to take out the printed circuit out and repair it. There was a broken circuit between two connections. I sodered a wire between them on the bottom of the board. To remove the circuit board ,with the motor off the car, take off the black plastic,take the orange wire off the green box and the blue wire off the connector. Then remove the 1/4" boalt holding it in place. Check circuts with ohm meter and repair as needed. This was my problem yours might be different. To check the motor off the car put one wire from battery to ground and the other to the black and purple wire motor should run. GOOD LUCK!

85_fleetwood
03-18-06, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the info. You have been very helpful.

I gotta score an ohmeter first, then I'll test it out.