: More in the V or a Track Beater?

dannystang
03-14-06, 11:30 AM
Going to start going to some NASA events in florida...

I am taking the V for atleast lvl 1-4 but I am a little worried I might have to drive a little conservative as my insurance doesn't exactly cover V into Wall at race event...

What do you guys think of the 93-94 tt rx7?

They go for like 10k used with 60-80k miles...

I always loved that car...

TampaV
03-14-06, 12:35 PM
I have a perfect 93 R1 TT RX-7 that I used to autocross. I've had it totally restored and it's probably the nicest 3rd gen RX-7 you'll see around. Most of them have been beaten up, modded and pretty rough since they're all 10-14 years old. Mine has a new engine (3,000 miles on it), very high quality repaint (red), newly powder coated stock wheels (graphite metallic). I have a second set of chromed stock wheels that can be used for race tires. I also have a second set of turbos for the car. It has Koni yellow single adjustable shocks, a Peter Farrell cat back exhaust and a very good Tri-Point Engineering front sway bar.

I have it in Tampa and have been thinking about selling it, since I have an 05 CTS-V, Z06 and GMC 2500HD crew cab truck. A guy can only drive so many vehicles. The car is very nice and I have owned it since new. It's not going to go for $10k though. Let me know if you're interested.

TampaV

dannystang
03-14-06, 12:54 PM
Hmm Tampa...right now I am just thinking about it...

But in a couple of months maybe...

I don't want to spend too much since I am looking for relatively guilt free racing fun...

Besides right now I am poor :(

edit: btw I am a little concerned when I looked at used ones there all on there 2,3,4 engine???

Guess those engines pop easy whats a rebuild run?

Florian
03-14-06, 03:17 PM
Hey puss, thought you bailed.... Welcome back! Now, wax your nads, I have some dabbling to do!

F

crispyrx7
03-14-06, 04:12 PM
Going to start going to some NASA events in florida...

I am taking the V for atleast lvl 1-4 but I am a little worried I might have to drive a little conservative as my insurance doesn't exactly cover V into Wall at race event...

What do you guys think of the 93-94 tt rx7?

They go for like 10k used with 60-80k miles...

I always loved that car...

As the owner of a '05 V and a 93 RX7 (although single T now) you'd have much more fun in the RX-7 as a track "beater." I track my RX7 regularly as well as race an 86 RX7. The 93/94 TT RX7 would be a good choice if you can find a decent one. As mentioned most are trashed and untrackworthy as-is. Your $10k example wouldn't last one session before something broke...I'd guarantee that. Most decent examples are $15k-$18k and even then they might require some TLC to undo some of the crap the previous owners might have done to it. Be prepared to invest some mechanic time to get it track worthy but once it is you will be one of the fastest cars out there for fraction of what the big bucks poseurs have spent.
Regards,
Crispy

dannystang
03-14-06, 08:07 PM
As the owner of a '05 V and a 93 RX7 (although single T now) you'd have much more fun in the RX-7 as a track "beater." I track my RX7 regularly as well as race an 86 RX7. The 93/94 TT RX7 would be a good choice if you can find a decent one. As mentioned most are trashed and untrackworthy as-is. Your $10k example wouldn't last one session before something broke...I'd guarantee that. Most decent examples are $15k-$18k and even then they might require some TLC to undo some of the crap the previous owners might have done to it. Be prepared to invest some mechanic time to get it track worthy but once it is you will be one of the fastest cars out there for fraction of what the big bucks poseurs have spent.
Regards,
Crispy

Ugh...I was afraid of that...

if I go that high will they take a beating though?

A little afraid of those rotary engines poping on me...

dannystang
03-14-06, 08:10 PM
Hey puss, thought you bailed.... Welcome back! Now, wax your nads, I have some dabbling to do!

F

I think I will keep posting till I get the boot from that ass*hole urbanski.

...or maybe the board isnt censored by him?

dannystang
03-14-06, 08:11 PM
This is an example of what I found for 12k

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=516500

DILLIGAF
03-14-06, 08:37 PM
Welcome back big D,If you need a place to keep that avatar might I know somebody.

Dennisscars
03-14-06, 09:36 PM
Key word, stay out of wall.... I've been to 18 track days since July and can't wait for more. Buy some comp rubber and drive this car where it likes to run.

f2000keith
03-14-06, 09:52 PM
Get a track car... You can pick up a spec miata for less than $12k and have more fun racing wheel to wheel than you ever will doing track days. I've seen spec miata's race in 50 car packs at Road America and it looks like an absolute BLAST! You don't have this thought in the corner of your mind thinking "What if I ball this $50k thing up?" either. Get your license and go out and race!

dannystang
03-15-06, 08:49 AM
Get a track car... You can pick up a spec miata for less than $12k and have more fun racing wheel to wheel than you ever will doing track days. I've seen spec miata's race in 50 car packs at Road America and it looks like an absolute BLAST! You don't have this thought in the corner of your mind thinking "What if I ball this $50k thing up?" either. Get your license and go out and race!

Thanks yeah thats what Ive been told by one of the guys that does alot of track events...

Says you really learn how to drive when you have 140hp at your disposal..

Aren't miatas fwd though?

I would really like something rwd hence the rx7...but there is ALOT out there for 10k...

Where do you find spec miatas 4 sale?

To my lovers I know you missed me I missed you to...

dannystang
03-15-06, 09:17 AM
Found something...

http://www.specmiata.com/classifieds/detail.php?siteid=2845

Something like this???

crispyrx7
03-15-06, 12:20 PM
This is an example of what I found for 12k

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=516500

So-so but it needs work to be truely reliable - upgraded radiator, oil coolers etc. A good platform to build upon though.

Looking for track ready RX7? THIS is what you want:
http://www.gqmracerx7.com/
I know the owner and the car. Wicked quick car and quite reliable he's selling due to marriage and new home... the poor guy.

Crispy

crispyrx7
03-15-06, 12:24 PM
Found something...

http://www.specmiata.com/classifieds/detail.php?siteid=2845

Something like this???

Sorry me again...A good buy but how competitive do you want to be?
Note this is an "unproven" car with NO logbook and never been raced so it's anyones guess.
Most podium SM cars are $30k+.
Of course if you are a ringer for a driver this might just be your up of tea :)

Regards,
Crispy

dannystang
03-15-06, 03:35 PM
Damnit this is complicated...

In reality I think I am going to stay to the NASA racing I think the only rules for that are a helmet and safe car...

For that kinda money I can just get a used ls1 vette which I KNOW is reliable...?

Thats what I see thats wrong with the miatas...They have all this crap for professional racing and weigh exactly 2200 lbs for SM competition..

I just want to go fast ass all hell and have a good time...

Not looking to win any scca comps....

pinnacle71
03-15-06, 04:24 PM
Are you the same "Crispy" who did the lap video of VIR? If so, I used that to help prep for a track day there in my V - thanks!
-Greg

Dennisscars
03-15-06, 09:48 PM
V goes like hell and people go :jawdrop:

crispyrx7
03-15-06, 10:30 PM
Damnit this is complicated...

In reality I think I am going to stay to the NASA racing I think the only rules for that are a helmet and safe car...

For that kinda money I can just get a used ls1 vette which I KNOW is reliable...?

I just want to go fast ass all hell and have a good time...

Not looking to win any scca comps....

Ls1 vettes have their problems too. I've seen many with cracked and warped brake rotors, extreme oil temperatures, and even cooling issues.
But I agree with your point...probably the best bang for the buck with a few caveats.

Find a decent cheap fast car, install a roll bar and harnesses,buy a spare set of grungy wheels slap on some sticky tires and go have fun.

Crispy

crispyrx7
03-15-06, 10:32 PM
Are you the same "Crispy" who did the lap video of VIR? If so, I used that to help prep for a track day there in my V - thanks!
-Greg

Not too many Crispy's around so yes most likely it was moi. Lots of my video floating around the world wide web :D
Crispy

Dreamin
03-16-06, 12:33 AM
D, how many track events do you plan to do per year? And are you going out there just to have fun... or make this a "serious" hobby (or more).

If maybe 4-5 'fun' events per year... the V is perfectly suited to have a blast in... and a few events a year aren't going to trash it.

Otherwise... the RX7 is a great track car... as posted they do need TLC as a track-car... a few power, suspension, and "reliability" tweaks and you're set... too bad M2 Performance is no longer around... they had some great turn key mods. But the motors blow with extended hard use (i.e. the term "original engine" in an ad is a BAD thing!)...

If you can spend ~$30K... the '02+ Z06 is also a great track car... and you have to do almost nothing with it to make it track-worthy.

But tracking a Z06 is the most fun you can have without lubrication... guaranteed!

Dreamin
03-16-06, 12:36 AM
Or you can put an LS6 into an RX7! This one is Calif smog-legal.

My buddy just sold this... for $28K I believe... and got a '04 Z06. That's his track car now.

http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/THs10.jpg

dannystang
03-16-06, 02:54 PM
D, how many track events do you plan to do per year? And are you going out there just to have fun... or make this a "serious" hobby (or more).

If maybe 4-5 'fun' events per year... the V is perfectly suited to have a blast in... and a few events a year aren't going to trash it.

Otherwise... the RX7 is a great track car... as posted they do need TLC as a track-car... a few power, suspension, and "reliability" tweaks and you're set... too bad M2 Performance is no longer around... they had some great turn key mods. But the motors blow with extended hard use (i.e. the term "original engine" in an ad is a BAD thing!)...

If you can spend ~$30K... the '02+ Z06 is also a great track car... and you have to do almost nothing with it to make it track-worthy.

But tracking a Z06 is the most fun you can have without lubrication... guaranteed!

I'm looking to have guilt-free fun...

I can probably drive the crap out of the V...but I cant take it to that extra step since Im concerned about wrecking...

I'll never forget when I started college I has a Datson think 82" 200 sx.

It had 8 spark plugs, but 4 cylinders...very rare I was told?

Man I use the drive the SH*T out of it, play bumper cars with my friends beater...I never had so much fun, and I wasnt really concerned with the $450 I paid...

I'd kinda like to have the same worry free fun, but I can spend a little more now :)

BTW...

The engine finally cracked when I went up a ramp I think I caught 20-30 feet of air...that was more exciting then skydiving....

oohh the good days... :crybaby: