: optimum coats of wax???

mlg
03-14-06, 11:26 AM
put 2 coats on wheels and the dust comes off much easier. i hear some put 2, 3, 4 coats on car any idea what is optimum #???

AmesCTS-V
03-14-06, 12:02 PM
Depends on what you are waxing the car with. Something like Zaino gets better with more coats. I've probably got 5 on the V and 15 on the GTO.

Katshot
03-14-06, 12:47 PM
Multiple coats of wax? Don't waste your money. Wax doesn't build up like you are suggesting. Using multiple coats only gets you to the bottom of the bottle faster.

AmesCTS-V
03-14-06, 12:53 PM
Multiple coats of wax? Don't waste your money. Wax doesn't build up like you are suggesting. Using multiple coats only gets you to the bottom of the bottle faster.
Umm yeah Zaino does. That's why I very specifically said depends on what you wax with.

Katshot
03-14-06, 01:30 PM
I know what Zaino "claims". I just find it hard to believe. I've yet to read any independent tests that confirm their claims. Over the years, I've run into a number of products that made similar claims but I've never found any that actually delivered on those claims. If Zaino does, that's great.

AmesCTS-V
03-14-06, 01:41 PM
If you have ever used or seen Zaino you would know that's exactly how it works. It's almost like a thin coat of glass. So every time you add a coat that "glass" gets thicker. If you let a puddle of it dry up you can see better what it is, just don't do that on your car it's tough to get off.

At GTO Meets I've seen GTO's sitting right by each other with 0, 5, and 15 coats. It's very easy to tell the difference. Usually the non-believers go home and order Zaino. It's made me think I should become a dealer the stuff is like crack for car guys.

CVP33
03-14-06, 03:01 PM
If you use an all natural cleaner wax like Zymol you're wasting your time. 1 good coat is all you need. Zaino, I'm told is a polish that actually benefits from multiple coats. Again so I'm told. Feel free to flame when ready. I own a Chrysler, I'm use to it. :thumbsup:

AmesCTS-V
03-14-06, 03:11 PM
Even Chrysler guys get things right sometimes. Wax must be one of them.

Florian
03-14-06, 03:14 PM
Ive used Zaino since 97 and can say that on black cars, Zaino looks stellar (until you get it dirty). Z will indeed get better with addl applications.

F

Got5onit
03-14-06, 06:27 PM
Proper prepping of the paint is just as important as waxing itself. Use a claybar on the vehicle before waxing & sealing. :bouncy:

DILLIGAF
03-14-06, 06:40 PM
I use the Zaino with multiple coats.Warning, Zaino is a internet order only product.You will have to wait patiently for it to arrive.

Ziplicon Tuesday
03-14-06, 08:20 PM
I recently read about a test done on another site where they actually compared Zymol to Zaino - the writer claimed he was a fan or Zymol. The did comparison tests and poled people etc,.....Zaino was the clear winner.

One point they mentioned that applies to the "wax build up" discussion - Zaino has no wax - it's a silicone based product or something but no wax whereas the others all have wax.

GT04CTS-V
03-14-06, 08:28 PM
Zaino is the only product that works well on black finishes. The more coats, the better.

GT

ctsvett
03-14-06, 08:34 PM
Comparison here:
http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

What I would like to see is a comparison of Meguirs NXT Tech Wax, Zaino, Z-best and plain paint.

I am sure zaino would win, but it would be fun.. anyone want to donate a hood or a f'ed up body panel? (balck preferred)

Reed

Dick's06Vee
03-15-06, 06:55 AM
I've used Zaino exclusively since 97 and have to agree with Ames. More coats, more shine. And if you're anal and want to wax your car four days a week, it only gets a deeper shine! No build up, no nothing, other than a deeper shine. Great product.

NH Vrod
03-15-06, 07:18 AM
I use "Liquid Glass" it works the same way, the more coats, the thicker the shine, it is a little expensive, but it is worth it!!
I have waxed my V every weekend, even now that is up for the winter I still wax it on weekends, it looks like you can dive into the paint :o)

patentguy
03-15-06, 01:57 PM
Zaino Z-2 Pro or Z-3?

ChicagoCTS32
03-15-06, 02:00 PM
Zaino Z-2 Pro or Z-3?

You want Z-2 Pro. Z-3 is for non-clear coated paint jobs.

Check out the website, it is VERY informative. Provides a lot of tips and tricks and application methods.

www.zainostore.com (http://www.zainostore.com)

patentguy
03-15-06, 02:06 PM
What about the ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive they advertise? Is it worth it?

V-Smooth
03-15-06, 02:12 PM
Additinal question(s), there is a "paint coating" dealerships try to pawn off when you purchase a new vehicle...they did when I bought my V. The cost was $600 or so and they claimed it would "protect and preserve the paint so that bird poo and other debris will just wash right off of it, no scrubbing or detailing required", even claimed that you wouldn't need to wax it but once a year. Is that like Zaino???

1) I believe the dealer is full of BS, big surprise! :bigroll:
2) Does Zaino protect your paint from bird poo and other debris?
3) Does it take care of spider-webing?
4) Can someone post a high-rez pic of a black V Zaino'ed?

I have three black cars, and am picky about having my cars clean...why black you ask......
:thepan: :alchi::thepan: :alchi:

AmesCTS-V
03-15-06, 02:14 PM
Yeah you want the flash cure. You also want the clay bar and car wash. The best thing you can do is order the starter kit and follow thier instructions the first time. Wash with Dawn, clay bar, wash with Zaino wash, wax it.... It makes for a long day, but is worth every minute of it.

AmesCTS-V
03-15-06, 02:26 PM
Additinal question(s), there is a "paint coating" dealerships try to pawn off when you purchase a new vehicle...they did when I bought my V. The cost was $600 or so and they claimed it would "protect and preserve the paint so that bird poo and other debris will just wash right off of it, no scrubbing or detailing required", even claimed that you wouldn't need to wax it but once a year. Is that like Zaino???

1) I believe the dealer is full of BS, big surprise! :bigroll:
2) Does Zaino protect your paint from bird poo and other debris?
3) Does it take care of spider-webing?
4) Can someone post a high-rez pic of a black V Zaino'ed?

I have three black cars, and am picky about having my cars clean...why black you ask......
:thepan: :alchi::thepan: :alchi:
I've had friends get the paint coating. Maybe it protects, but it doesn't look any better than with nothing on.

Zaino is like a clear shell. It does wear off so you need to reapply it. Throughout the summer I put several coats on the V and it looks good all winter.

One other tip is Z2 everything. I Z2 the headlights, windshield (almost like RainX), and the chrome rims (this works awesome).

Watch out this stuff is like crack for car guys....

I don't know if anything can protect against bird crap, but I can tell you at my work birds crap on my car a lot and it probably stays on the car for a day or two before I wash it off. No problems yet with any actual damage.

I think it's a little tough to capture how good Zaino looks in a picture, but here is one after my V was Zaino'd. Also I threw in one of my GTO because I think it better illustrates how the car is like a mirror with Zaino. Finally I threw in one of my Silvy SS, it was with only a couple of coats of Zaino and just looked awesome.

http://www.blackcts-v.com/Albums/CTSV/General/DSC01799.JPG

http://www.redgto.com/Albums/GTO/General/DSC00127.JPG

http://www.redss.com/Albums/SS/Rims/DSC01031.jpg

V-Smooth
03-15-06, 02:51 PM
Love it! :thumbsup: That's what I'm looking for...thx Ames :highfive:

It's funny, we've got almost the same cars, except for the GTO (I have a Camaro SS)...have a SilvySS too (black of course :))

Did you chrome your rims on the V?

AmesCTS-V
03-15-06, 02:57 PM
Cool. I have met several people with GTO's and Silvy SS's, but don't hear about very many V's and Silvy's.

I did chrome the V rims. I bought a set of factory rims used off ebay and had them chromed, then put some 275's in the rear. They fit on the 8.5" well enough and I think it looks pretty good. I took my stock rims and put winter tires on them since I DD the V. There are a bunch of pics on my site of the rims/tires.

Got5onit
03-15-06, 04:29 PM
I'm getting ready to do a major detail job on the V once it comes off the jackstands in a couple of weeks.
My car has a buttload of swirl marks and marring. Black paint is very unforgiving.
Purchased a Porter Cable, cutting pads, buffing pads, finishing pads, two levels of swirl removers, polisher, sealant, and a topper glaze.
I hope to get the paint prepped(washed + claybar) and then hit it with a cutting pad all in one day. Looking to finish the car in 3 days.

I'll definitely post pics when I'm done.
:thumbsup:

I've used Zaino for years and it lasts longer than anything I've ever seen on the market. I was very happy at how it made the paint look on silver metallic, gray metallic, & the red finishes of my other vehicles. However, I haven't owned a black vehicle in ~8 years and the Zaino with the swirl remover just doesn't do enough for me. Swirls are still present even with microfiber towels.
So I'm switching to Poorboys & Wolfgang products per the advice from other black vehicle owners. They're getting excellent results.

ndogg ct
03-15-06, 07:46 PM
have had excellent results using the klasse products!!
they say that a couple of coats of the sealent is recomended...
after the klasse products i finish the v with pinnacle natural brilliance wax and the black looks amazing!

pietroraimondi
03-17-06, 03:22 PM
Zaino is an automotive polish. It contains no wax. I think I have experimented with more automotive polishes and waxes than Marty Mogavero (LasstSS) has experimented with CTSV exhaust systems.

There is a very distinct difference between an automotive polish and an automotive wax. Polishes contain petroleum distillates and silicone that can actually and will in fact damage some automotive paint finishes.

Polishes such as Zaino are "ideal" for any modern OEM factory paint finish that is enamel based. I use Zaino and find it to be the best of all of the 100 or so automotive polishes that I have used in the decade!

Automotive waxes are reserved and best served for lacquer based paint finishes. Lacquer is usually found on two types of automobiles. The first being older vehicles before the advent of enamel based paint. And the second scenario would be on custom applied paint finish such as a House of Kolor product.

By contrast; a complete HOK single stage lacquer paint job would have a minimum price of at least $8000 and the sky is the limit from there.

Regardless of whether or not you have enamel based paint or lacquer based paint; the clear coat that is applied over the paint is of the same. Enamel based paints have enamel based clear coats that give the paint finish its depth and gloss.

The same is true with lacquer; a lacquer based paint job has a lacquer based clear coat to provide paint protection and added depth and gloss.

The reason why you wax lacquer versus polishing it is that lacquer lacks the "flex agents" that are urethane based and what is found in modern enamel based paint. Therefore; enamel based paint does not have the inherent "checking and spiderwebbing" that is typically found in lacquer based paint. Waxing lacquer actually "feeds" the paint and the oil that is found in the wax helps to prevent this spider-webbing from occurring.

About the only thing that really requires traditional wax on modern automobiles are your wheel rims if they are mirror polished aluminum alloy or chrome. You would first polish them and then apply a couple coats of automotive wax as a protective barrier to make the removal of brake dust a lot easier during your normal detailing process.

But applying "wax" to a modern enamel based automotive finish is a waste of product and a waste of time and provides no additional paint or clear coat protection.

I'm not quite sure exactly what proprietary products make up the Zaino Bros. products; but I will say that they make the best automotive "polish" that I have ever used. And it is true that each subsequent Zaino coat does "burn in" to each underlying coat providing a deeper level of gloss and depth.

Finally; one of the best things that you can do at least twice a year is to "clay wash" the car before applying your automotive polish.

Vendetta-V-
03-31-06, 07:58 AM
Okay, I have a 2006 that is less than a week old and started with 5 miles on it.

Two questions:
1. Any required wait time before I can begin polishing the paint?
2. Is it recommended to clay bar wash the car before applying the Zaino since the paint is so new?

Thanks in advance,

VV

Dick's06Vee
03-31-06, 08:12 AM
Okay, I have a 2006 that is less than a week old and started with 5 miles on it.

Two questions:
1. Any required wait time before I can begin polishing the paint?
2. Is it recommended to clay bar wash the car before applying the Zaino since the paint is so new?

Thanks in advance,

VV

1. No required wait time to polish the factory paint. It is baked on at the factory and thus cured.

2. I would still wash the car with Dawn (not in the sun) before starting with the loc and then the polish. Others might do the clay bar to a brand new car, I didn't/don't. Guess it might depend on the distance of the transport and how long it sat outside at the dealership. My car was transported three miles from the assembly plant, unloaded off the truck and driven inside. I picked it up the next day. I had given the dealership specific instructions.....don't wash or wax the car. I drove it home, washed it with Dawn and began the process, loc first, then several coats of polish.

Might read the info on their site, that should help answer most of your questions.

Happy polishing!

Vendetta-V-
03-31-06, 08:18 AM
1. No required wait time to polish the factory paint. It is baked on at the factory and thus cured.

2. I would still wash the car with Dawn (not in the sun) before starting with the loc and then the polish. Others might do the clay bar to a brand new car, I didn't/don't. Guess it might depend on the distance of the transport and how long it sat outside at the dealership. My car was transported three miles from the assembly plant, unloaded off the truck and driven inside. I picked it up the next day. I had given the dealership specific instructions.....don't wash or wax the car. I drove it home, washed it with Dawn and began the process, loc first, then several coats of polish.

Might read the info on their site, that should help answer most of your questions.

Happy polishing!

I'm about in the same boat. Car was at one dealership for two days...line hauled to my dealer the next day, then put in the show room until the day after where I picked it up. That was on Tuesday, and it's been driven daily around town since. Hasn't seen rain yet...but has seen pollen.

I just ordered the Zaino, so probably by the time it arrives, I'll clay bar it just to be safe.

Thanks for the info.

AmesCTS-V
03-31-06, 10:10 AM
Wash with Dawn and clay bar it.

CADI-V
03-31-06, 02:54 PM
I just ordered the Zaino Products, after reading the reviews of the users on the Zaino website I like what I see. I will see how it all comes together and hopefully my paint will still be intact. I will keep everyone posted on the outcome.:thumbsup:

Vendetta-V-
03-31-06, 07:27 PM
I ordered the Ultimate Show Kit earlier this morning (they already shipped it :0) ---only best of the best for my V!