: $87.06 for an oil change!

ajedwardsjr
03-14-06, 08:30 AM
Just curious - has anyone here ever been charged more than that? To make this even worse, I provided my own (K&N) oil filter. Obviously this is not a shop that I'm going back to, unless it is with the Better Business Bureau or the District Attorney from the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Kadonny
03-14-06, 08:33 AM
Dealer or independent shop? Mobil1 I hope? Even so, that is high.

DrivingAmericanNow
03-14-06, 08:36 AM
Highway Robbery. Even with a full synthetic Mobil-1 service, I typically pay less than half that. Were there any other "services" involved???? :duck:

Dave-V
03-14-06, 08:40 AM
I pay about $65 at my dealer with Mobil 1.

NH Vrod
03-14-06, 09:02 AM
WOW, that cost more than my X5, and that takes 8 quarts!!

Kadonny
03-14-06, 09:43 AM
Do they at least give you a cup of coffee and a donut?

RobertCTS
03-14-06, 10:19 AM
I Paid $85 At The Dealer For The First One. Do It Myself For $35.

CIWS
03-14-06, 10:22 AM
At my dealership 75.00= 7 quarts of Mobil 1 Synthetic oil and a filter.

ctsvett
03-14-06, 11:15 AM
do it yourself for about $30... its really is worth it... Then you are sure it is done right...

Reed

ajedwardsjr
03-14-06, 11:20 AM
This rip-off included 7 quarts of Mobil 1 5W-30.

No oil filter - I provided my own (K&N).

No cup of coffee.

No doughnuts.

No other services. They claim to have topped off the fluids and checked the tire pressure, but not even that was not done. My left front tire was 2 pounds low when I pulled in, and two pounds low when I pulled out. They promised an hour to an hour and a half wait time, and then ended up taking three hours.

Not even a cute girl at the service counter!

It was an independent shop in my home town. I wanted to find a good place to do all of the service on my V, rather than the dealer. Apparently, I need to keep looking.

ctsvett
03-14-06, 11:52 AM
Holy crap...3 hours to do an oil change?..

Sorry to say, but you really got screwed...

If you do it yourself:

1. You know it is done right- piece of mind
2. It costs about $30/ change (startup costs = $50 for ramps and a filter wrench)
3. You can do it at home when you want
4. It only takes 20-30 mins (40 mins the first time)
5. You can drink beer (cause you dont have to drive anywhere)
6. Invite your wife/ girlfriend to watch and you can say a "cute girl" was at the "service counter" (milage may vary... )

instructions are here: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/oilchange.html

Reed

ctsvett
03-14-06, 11:54 AM
I will do a better procedure for all you "newbies" out there (maybe with some video) next time I do a change...

This is something that everyone can/should do themselves... (I dont even use the free ones that GM gives me when they F' up)

Reed

Kadonny
03-14-06, 11:58 AM
Holy crap...3 hours to do an oil change?..

Reed

3 hours? Not that I agree with what they charged, because I don't, but most shops in my area are charging out about $ 50.00 an hour.

Where are you located to get $ 30.00/hour? :eek: I have to move there

ahahnu
03-14-06, 12:25 PM
The dealer I bought the car from cahrges lik e$92 and change I think. It is a rip off, but I cant do it myself and don't know who or where to trust. I wouldn't have them do it if I could get away with it, but.... I don't know where else to turn.

heavymetals
03-14-06, 01:21 PM
I pay about the same at an EZ lube.

Should be renamed EZ MONEY!:eek:

thefly
03-14-06, 01:44 PM
I will do a better procedure for all you "newbies" out there (maybe with some video) next time I do a change...

This is something that everyone can/should do themselves... (I dont even use the free ones that GM gives me when they F' up)

Reed

i paid $25 at the dealership. what i do is go buy the oil myself 6 quarts = $30 w/tax (this is where they make their money most charge $7-9 a quart for mobil 1). and then let them provide the filter. so essentialy i pay someone else ~ $12 to change the oil (an hour of my time is worth more then $12). especially since they gave me a loaner and sent me on my way while they did it...

carmaster
03-14-06, 01:51 PM
I remember when I was at the Porsche/ Audi dealership they were charging $125 for an oil change, and I thought that was rediculous.

BTW how do you dispose of your oil after changing it? I'm curious to see how enviromentally friendly everyone is.

Florian
03-14-06, 03:18 PM
I usually pour mine out on a nest of seabirds, making sure they are good and flightless, then on the way out, I club a few baby seals.

F

Kadonny
03-14-06, 03:24 PM
I usually pour mine out on a nest of seabirds, making sure they are good and flightless, then on the way out, I club a few baby seals.

F

:thepan: :thepan: :histeric: :histeric:

For real. I have an auto repair shop on my way to work that takes it. He uses it to run his heaters in his garage. Perfect.

Eld. STS
03-14-06, 03:42 PM
Wow!:eek: I just bought a 05 STS, so when I read this post I call my local dealer and asked what the cost of an oil chage was. $35 for regular and $65 for synthedic. So $87 is high!

Florian
03-14-06, 04:00 PM
:thepan: :thepan: :histeric: :histeric:

For real. I have an auto repair shop on my way to work that takes it. He uses it to run his heaters in his garage. Perfect.

I just take it to BP Procare and they use it to heat their shop....no fuss.
After I drop it off, I usually push an old lady into traffic or clip her walker with my front bumper....

F

carmaster
03-14-06, 04:06 PM
After I drop it off, I usually push an old lady into traffic or clip her walker with my front bumper....

F
Wouldn't you run the chance of scratching your bumper?

carmaster
03-14-06, 04:06 PM
That does make it easy to find a garage that burns it.

Kadonny
03-14-06, 04:41 PM

F

Only one? If you get really good sometimes you can take out 2 at a time. Try it ;)

urbanski
03-14-06, 05:12 PM
I remember when I was at the Porsche/ Audi dealership they were charging $125 for an oil change, and I thought that was rediculous.

BTW how do you dispose of your oil after changing it? I'm curious to see how enviromentally friendly everyone is.
autozone, 10qt container, dump used oil at your nearest walmart. free.

BadCad
03-14-06, 05:25 PM
My wife brought her '04 CTS 3.6L in for an oil change, they told her it'd be best to change all the fluids (at 20,000 miles.) Bill came to ~$450. Ask me again why I don't like "authorized dealer service" or dealer service in general. Those of you that pay the dealer's service staff tips for "excellent service", good for you. As for me, no dealer service at all unless it's authorized-factory warranty work or a recall campaign.

sotxmike
03-15-06, 12:11 AM
I have been doing my own oil changes on every vehicle I have owned for years. Reed is right...do it yourself and you know its done correctly. All I have to do now is get my girlfriend to standby and be cute while making positive comments:thumbsup:

SoFlaV
03-18-06, 08:48 PM
Eh, it really depends on the market. When I did a cost comparison while working in Chicago, our friends at Jaguar were charging $85 for a synthetic oil change, and Mercedes-Benz ran over $100. It sounds like the shop you were working with didn't have a menu price for a synthetic oil change and charged you for everything separately with standard markup. It may sound high, but again, it's not like you're driving a Chevy Cobalt, either.

Zorb750
03-18-06, 10:55 PM
BMW dealer. $98.50 OTD were I to have them do it on my 7. 8.5 quarts of Mobil1's still $6 apiece, so $54, filter's $13. Total $67 DIY.

Less if oil bought at Costco, $25.93 for 6 quarts Mobil 1 (case).

I take my oil to Autozone. They have a bin in the back you put it in. Just don't take disposable containers! They don't give you a place to throw them away.

stkshkr
03-19-06, 02:17 AM
My dealer changed it for $10.15, I supplied the oil (bought at Walmart) and the mobile One filter (bought at Autozone) I was going to do it myself but for $10 it saved a hassle. Total cost about $60