: Cadillac going to rear wheel drive

johneanderson
01-09-04, 12:26 PM
I heard somewhere that the new (2005) Sevilles were going to be rear wheel drive. Is this true?

I know the new SRX offers all-wheel drive as an option.

I've had two DeVilles (2001 & 2004) and love the front wheel drive. Sure hope they don't change to rear-wheel drive on the next re-design of the DeVille.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-09-04, 12:41 PM
nope next reskin of the deville will keep it as front drive , i belive it will migrate over to rear drive sometime around 2007-08 and be called the DTS

according to car connection production on seville ended a few weeks ago for retool to begin production of the reardrive sts which is based off of the cts platform (also where srx came from)

Spock
01-09-04, 02:57 PM
I'm I the only one happy to hear this? I've been waiting for GM to finally straighted out. Only the crown vic's and mercurys were the only option for fullsized rwd v8. Now the caddy's are back yay!

ShadowLvr400
01-09-04, 03:25 PM
The STS is rumored to move RWD, and if there is a god, they will. The Deville will be keeping FWD though from what I hear. Don't quote me though. And you like FWD? Bleh, give me RWD any day.

Brett
01-09-04, 04:46 PM
The STS wil be RWD with optional AWD

HotRodSaint
01-09-04, 05:06 PM
Cadillac is simply doing what is needed to be the best in the world.

Even if they had the best FWD car ever built (which they don't) it still wouldn't help them compete against Audi, BMW or Mercedes.

Every luxury/near luxury car company that relies exclusively on FWD is lagging in sales behind those that offer RWD vehicles in their line-up.

Deep Sleep
01-09-04, 09:03 PM
Cadillac is simply doing what is needed to be the best in the world.

Even if they had the best FWD car ever built (which they don't) it still wouldn't help them compete against Audi, BMW or Mercedes.

Every luxury/near luxury car company that relies exclusively on FWD is lagging in sales behind those that offer RWD vehicles in their line-up.

Power is supposed to go to the rear wheels, I like our 85 sedan deville. But its the 83 Fleetwood Brougham R(ight)W(heel)D(rive) that gets 500 cid engine.

Ralph
01-09-04, 11:26 PM
Engines are becomming more and more powerful from the luxury manufacturers again, and there is a limit to around 300 hp with FWD transaxles. If Cadillac is going to compete, and continually build more powerful engines in the future then the switch back to RWD is logical, and necessary IMO.

TimsToy
01-10-04, 07:26 AM
:confused: So is power the reason for going back to RWD? I guess I'm a little :suspect: . Does anyone know what reasons Caddy is giving for this move? I've always understood that you could pull a large object more easily than push it. And, that FWD was better in dealing with bad weather ,such as we see in S.E. WI. at this time of year :eek: Don't take me wrong, over 80% of the cars I've owned have been RWD, I'm just :confused: as to why they would make this move.
Thanks,
Tim

HotRodSaint
01-10-04, 10:01 AM
:confused: So is power the reason for going back to RWD?
Yes. Global Market Power!!! :D

Stoneage_Caddy
01-10-04, 10:10 AM
more balanced handleing too , damn the front drive push

kcnewell
01-10-04, 10:15 AM
There are advantages with both platforms....Weather is a big one with FWD. I'd much rather drive my Seville on an icy road than any of my RWD vehicles. RWD provides a much better power transfer in most other conditions ( Although most people can't really tell the difference ) particularly in W.O.T. Takeoffs. For most normal driving situations there is very little ( If any ) perceptable difference between the two platforms.

Night Wolf
01-13-04, 10:35 AM
well, the thing i hate is how Cadillac is leaving ALL their old names.....Fleetwood/Seville/Eldorado, and probally in the future the DeVille....

...IF the DeVille was ever changed to DTS, that would be a sad day...... I really lost a little respect in Cadillac for getting rid of all the names and going with these 3 random letter things.....

....besides that, under normal driving, I can't tell a differnce, in rain and snow, FWD is better, everything else, RWD is better.....

.... I had the kids in my avation class...who are all rice boys try to tel me that FWD is far better then RWD, ESPECALLY in off the line launches, I am not going to get into this again as I typed it up on another forum, but damn it pissed me off soo much......

HotRodSaint
01-13-04, 11:00 AM
.... I had the kids in my avation class...who are all rice boys try to tel me that FWD is far better then RWD, ESPECALLY in off the line launches, I am not going to get into this again as I typed it up on another forum, but damn it pissed me off soo much......
Don't you know that weight transfer to the rear upon launch is great for front wheel traction! :D

tru504187211
01-13-04, 01:03 PM
Any talk of a RWD Fleetwood resurrection yet???

As long as I have to put up with Wisconsin winters, I'll always have a FWD for the snow. I don't even dare take out my Grandparent's 1981 Olds out in the snow - I fear ice and snow.

Pete03Z06
01-14-04, 12:15 AM
Front wheel drive is awful. In snow, I would probably rather have the rear wheels lose traction and let off the gas as my front wheels still go where I want them to than have my front wheels slip and have them pull me wherever they feel like going, negating my steering. Obviously in general FWD is better for most people in snow/bad weather, but I feel a bit differently. Also, on the performance side, front wheel drive is a total joke. Not only for torque steer but also weight distribution and transfer. All in all, I am very glad Cadillac is heading back in the right direction and wish my STS was RWD. :coolgleam

Ralph
01-14-04, 12:49 AM
Front wheel drive is awful. In snow, I would probably rather have the rear wheels lose traction and let off the gas as my front wheels still go where I want them to than have my front wheels slip and have them pull me wherever they feel like going, negating my steering. Obviously in general FWD is better for most people in snow/bad weather, but I feel a bit differently. Also, on the performance side, front wheel drive is a total joke. Not only for torque steer but also weight distribution and transfer. All in all, I am very glad Cadillac is heading back in the right direction and wish my STS was RWD. :coolgleam

You make some bold claims. And that's just fine. ;) It is snowing a lot up here almost every day, and I am VERY impressed with my FWD Fleetwood. It is just as though I am driving in the summer time with this car! I WISH I had this traction in my big assed Grand Marquis, which was 400 pounds heavier, and not half the traction! When you are trying to merge into an intersection, that has some ice, some snow, everyone is a dink and not letting you in, do NOT get left behind with RWD! (in this situation, you will) When you have a near miss with a Dodge Durango because you cannot merge, you will change your opinion, FAST. You mentioned the performance side of things, well it is not really a serious performance car that has FWD anyway. IMO. If you want serious performance capabilities, you get a car with RWD. If you want a good car that PERFORMS WELL in many scenarios, get FWD. I have been driving both platforms for twenty years, and I can say that.

PS, they have eliminated torque steer from what I have experienced and read. That arguement cannot really be used anymore, and I am more than tired of it.

Pete03Z06
01-14-04, 03:16 AM
In retrospect, you are right in your points and I agree that, with such things as merging and many other situations in bad weather, FWD will be superior. I guess I just enjoy letting the tail out around turns from time to time :p I think something about RWD just *feels* better to me, I can't really explain it. Maybe it's because i'm used to it, as the STS is my first front wheel drive car, but I agree that most performance cars will not be FWD for various aforementioned reasons. If by torque steer you are referring to, under WOT acceleration, the tendency for a front wheel drive car's wheels to veer right to left due to lack of traction, then I suppose with better/newer tires it would be eliminated, but as my STS stands now it happens on all WOT runs. The car has trouble finding traction in first gear and thus the wheels go back and forth like crazy. :coolgleam

Big Jim
01-14-04, 04:43 AM
I think everybody missed a key line above - AWD optional. AWD is the best of both worlds at the expense of some mechanical complexity. My mom had an AWD AMC Eagle. Gutless 6 banger but it was one of the nicest handling cars in rain and snow I've ever driven. With 20 years of advancement in traction control and the like, an AWD Caddy will be a formidible machine. It should offer all the suburban advantages of a SUV without all the drawbacks. Just think: horsepower and traction at the same time.

brougham
01-14-04, 10:38 AM
On ice AWD is pretty much the worst you can get because it's the wheels that aren't spinning that keep you on the road. For getting unstuck it's the best.

Pretty much the only bad thing about rear wheel drive is getting going after you stop. On ice or slippery roads the back wheels will spint without going anywhere. The car I was driving a couple years ago in the winter was terrible for this. It had enough torque that once you started taking your foot off the brakes it would already start doing that. But since I'm not using that car in the winter anymore it's not a problem. The back does try to slip around more on them when you're moving but it's usually not much of a problem.

gothicaleigh
01-14-04, 11:35 AM
With the current advances in StabiliTrak, traction control, and winter driving modes, I can honestly say that you would rather have RWD in the snow. My CTS tracks and handles better in the winter than any FWD car I've ever owned. Don't get wild upon take off and your rear wheels aren't going to spin. Hell, my traction control won't allow me to spin. I think that FWD has been dominate for so long that many of us have forgotten how to drive a RWD car in the winter.

I live in Michigan where they don't skimp on the snow and ice either...

Ralph
01-15-04, 02:24 AM
With the current advances in StabiliTrak, traction control, and winter driving modes, I can honestly say that you would rather have RWD in the snow. My CTS tracks and handles better in the winter than any FWD car I've ever owned. Don't get wild upon take off and your rear wheels aren't going to spin. Hell, my traction control won't allow me to spin. I think that FWD has been dominate for so long that many of us have forgotten how to drive a RWD car in the winter.

I live in Michigan where they don't skimp on the snow and ice either...

That's just it!! Technology has made it easy to drive a RWD car in more varied conditions. The RWD cars I had required great skill to handle on ice, etc. Don't get me wrong, but I think technology has almost replaced the skilled driver or one that has an "educated foot." Take anti-lock brakes for ex. we knew about "pumping" the brakes in the mid 1980's years before it was even offered as standard equiptment. Stabilitrack is another example that makes RWD handle much like a FWD with equal length drive shafts and not even know the difference. I think in the near future, it won't really matter what driveline cars have because technology will make them better and equal in adverse conditions.

Night Wolf
01-16-04, 07:06 PM
That's just it!! Technology has made it easy to drive a RWD car in more varied conditions. The RWD cars I had required great skill to handle on ice, etc. Don't get me wrong, but I think technology has almost replaced the skilled driver or one that has an "educated foot." Take anti-lock brakes for ex. we knew about "pumping" the brakes in the mid 1980's years before it was even offered as standard equiptment. Stabilitrack is another example that makes RWD handle much like a FWD with equal length drive shafts and not even know the difference. I think in the near future, it won't really matter what driveline cars have because technology will make them better and equal in adverse conditions.

????

Stabillatrack is just a system on the newer Cads to keep the car stable.... there are sensors all over, and when the car detects a slide, it will engauge the brakes on any of the wheels to keep the car in line...dosn't have anything to do with making FWD like RWD....

gothicaleigh
01-16-04, 09:07 PM
Ah. But the largest complaint people make of RWD is the stability in wet or slippery conditions. StabiliTrak and Traction Control virtually eliminate this problem. And with the better overall weight distribution and balance allowed by a RWD powertrain, I would venture to say it is even safer than FWD now.

Ralph
01-17-04, 01:55 AM
????

Stabillatrack is just a system on the newer Cads to keep the car stable.... there are sensors all over, and when the car detects a slide, it will engauge the brakes on any of the wheels to keep the car in line...dosn't have anything to do with making FWD like RWD....

Stability has a lot to do with the drive platform IMO! I have never been stupid enough to even be able to do a fishtail in a FWD vehicle. It occurs often with our 6 months of ice and hard packed snow on the streets with RWD. Unless you have an educated foot.

Ralph
01-17-04, 01:59 AM
Ah. But the largest complaint people make of RWD is the stability in wet or slippery conditions. StabiliTrak and Traction Control virtually eliminate this problem. And with the better overall weight distribution and balance allowed by a RWD powertrain, I would venture to say it is even safer than FWD now.

Exactly, from what I've learned about Stabilitrac, if you happen to begin a skid (like a fishtail) the system will apply light braking action on an opposing wheel to eliminate or straighten the vehicle. Technology can be our friend. :halo: