: CTS-V Hood // Vented

rgd
03-14-06, 01:25 AM
Figured I would start a new thread about the hood since they are shipping now and the other post is a mile long.

I will be receiving the first vented hood from Jimmy this Friday. As you can there isn't a drip pan attached to the hood, which is because I will fab one to attach to the fender as soon as I receive the hood. It's hard to tell but I am told the vent is nicely fitted and very close to being ready for paint. I am going to do some of the finish work myself by choice. I want to install the windshield spray valves and under hood dudah etc. I will post picts when project is finished.

By the way :worship: to lasstss for his great work getting this whole thing started. THANK YOU SIR!!

RobertCTS
03-14-06, 07:32 AM
Figured I would start a new thread about the hood since they are shipping now and the other post is a mile long.

I will be receiving the first vented hood from Jimmy this Friday. As you can there isn't a drip pan attached to the hood, which is because I will fab one to attach to the fender as soon as I receive the hood. It's hard to tell but I am told the vent is nicely fitted and very close to being ready for paint. I am going to do some of the finish work myself by choice. I want to install the windshield spray valves and under hood dudah etc. I will post picts when project is finished.

By the way :worship: to lasstss for his great work getting this whole thing started. THANK YOU SIR!!

Sure would be nice to see details and pics as you do your wiper squirters:)

lasstss
03-14-06, 09:40 AM
I think those cheap plastic nozzle ruin the line of the hood. I am going to try and get them or another brand behind the cowl.. (just a suggestion)..

Kadonny
03-14-06, 09:42 AM
I think those cheap plastic nozzle ruin the line of the hood. I am going to try and get them or another brand behind the cowl.. (just a suggestion)..

For those of us in colder climates, the hood nozzles are a must for non freezing of the fluid.

Chef
03-14-06, 09:49 AM
Question:

What's the total weight? Is this fiberglass or carbon fiber? price?

Looks awesome!!

Thanks,
Chef

RobertCTS
03-14-06, 10:03 AM
I like the nozzles that fasten to the wiper blade:)

rgd
03-15-06, 01:31 PM
Good question I will let you know when it arrives.
Fiberglass hood.

Good point lasstss
I am going to look around to see what is available for the water squirts!

Question:

What's the total weight? Is this fiberglass or carbon fiber? price?

Looks awesome!!

Thanks,
Chef

lasstss
03-15-06, 03:21 PM
I like the nozzles that fasten to the wiper blade:)

Good suggestion. I will look into that.Makes the most sense.

rgd
04-18-06, 03:00 AM
Thought some of you might like to see how the vented hood is coming. I received the hood just as it is pictured above, unfinished (no screen). The screen that was sent to use was the type of screen (wire mesh) you would use to keep your dog from ruining your screen door so I decided to make one out of stainless steel. I used 1/4 square rod and 1/16 round rod drilled the square and...

Anyway you get the idea.

rgd
04-18-06, 03:06 AM
One thought i am working on is to attach the sprayer nozzles under the lip of the hood so it won't be on top of hood. Because the lip is higher than the wiper blades i will be able to either make my own spray nozzle or modify one or???
Just a thought.

rgd

lasstss
04-18-06, 08:44 AM
One thought i am working on is to attach the sprayer nozzles under the lip of the hood so it won't be on top of hood. Because the lip is higher than the wiper blades i will be able to either make my own spray nozzle or modify one or???
Just a thought.

rgd

Nice job on the vents... Im now working on Caspers to make a 10 string of LED's to put on the back of the cowl to read boost. 1 PSI per lamp. An in your face display!

ajedwardsjr
04-18-06, 10:22 AM
I am in need of some education here.

It looks to me as if the vents open backwards - in other words, that they face toward rear of the car. Why is it that way instead of the opposite? If I were to have designed this, I would have had them open toward the front of the car, where the oncoming air is.

Thank you!

thebigjimsho
04-18-06, 10:44 AM
You're welcome!

lasstss
04-18-06, 11:00 AM
You're welcome!

You and CVP are in cahoots!:highfive:

Kael
04-18-06, 11:05 AM
you can get sprayers that attach to the wiper blades off of a grand am. the hoses simple run right to them and they pretty much clip right on, no muss, no fuss.

looking good.

RobertCTS
04-18-06, 11:06 AM
I am in need of some education here.

It looks to me as if the vents open backwards - in other words, that they face toward rear of the car. Why is it that way instead of the opposite? If I were to have designed this, I would have had them open toward the front of the car, where the oncoming air is.

Thank you!

They use to call that design a "Waste Gate". As air rushes over them they create a low pressure area and sucks out the engine compartment's hot air. Just the opposite of a Hood Scoop. The V, specially with a Maggie, creates a lot of engine compartment heat.

Kael
04-18-06, 11:10 AM
think of it as a heat wick. over the hood is lower pressure, in front of an behind (against the windshield) are high pressure areas.

ajedwardsjr
04-18-06, 08:26 PM
Thanks to RobertCTS and Kael for explaining how these hood vents work. I really did not know, and I appreciate the information.

DeputyDog
04-18-06, 09:02 PM
That hood looks absolutely awsome!! If I had the money and my wife would let me I would get one.

Rickerbucks
04-19-06, 12:15 AM
RGD

Did you have to do the "finishing" work around the vents. the first set of pictures have the vents looking pretty rough. The second set look nicely finished. How much work did you have to do?

I got one of the fist hoods but I'm to get a vented hood due to some problems with the first hood. I want to kno if I have another big bill ahead to get the hood as good as you have it.

rgd
04-20-06, 07:42 PM
Yes I did the work myself. It took a long time as I am a rookie. It's not hard, I just didn't know the tricks to get it done faster. Painting it is going to be the fun part!

RGD

Did you have to do the "finishing" work around the vents. the first set of pictures have the vents looking pretty rough. The second set look nicely finished. How much work did you have to do?

I got one of the fist hoods but I'm to get a vented hood due to some problems with the first hood. I want to kno if I have another big bill ahead to get the hood as good as you have it.

KILR CAD
04-22-06, 10:02 PM
Thought some of you might like to see how the vented hood is coming. I received the hood just as it is pictured above, unfinished (no screen). The screen that was sent to use was the type of screen (wire mesh) you would use to keep your dog from ruining your screen door so I decided to make one out of stainless steel. I used 1/4 square rod and 1/16 round rod drilled the square and...

Anyway you get the idea.

What's the chance of using the wire mesh from our grill's? I see they have that type of mesh going on other cars now from aftermarket companies.

rgd
04-23-06, 06:45 AM
What's the chance of using the wire mesh from our grill's? I see they have that type of mesh going on other cars now from aftermarket companies.

Yes you could, but it would be allot more work because of all the wire that would need Bondo formed around it. Probably look nice though.

rgd

DrMikeQ
04-23-06, 07:50 PM
how much and when can i get it