: Weird issue: Tire rubbing

ctsvett
03-14-06, 01:33 AM
Ok guys. I cant figure this out for the life of me right now.

No changes in anything in the past 2-3 months suspension related. New tires about 7 k miles ago (BFG tires)... no problems...

Now, for some reason, the tires are rubbing on the front inner wheel well "sometimes"... First, I didnt buy it when the dealer told me, but I can see the rubbing marks on the front wheel well myself. If you are looking at the driver wheel, its about the 10 o'clock position and its right on the lip where the inner fender plastic curves in. It has rubbed a away the black wheel well plastic.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Can someone who also has the BFG tires measure between your front wheel and the plastic of the wheel well when the wheel is straight.

The dealer obviously says they are aftermarket tires (even though they are the stock size) and that is their excuse. I claim BS, but I need ammo to prove it (yes folks, as a GM owner, the burden of proof is on the owner, not the dealer)

Anyone have any thoughts? I am thinking that I might need have the dealer check the alignment, but the tires are wearing very evenly (over the pask 7k miles at least)...

Reed

Geno
03-14-06, 08:50 AM
Ok guys. I cant figure this out for the life of me right now.

No changes in anything in the past 2-3 months suspension related. New tires about 7 k miles ago (BFG tires)... no problems...

Now, for some reason, the tires are rubbing on the front inner wheel well "sometimes"... It has rubbed a away the black wheel well plastic.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Can someone who also has the BFG tires measure between your front wheel and the plastic of the wheel well when the wheel is straight.

The dealer obviously says they are aftermarket tires (even though they are the stock size) and that is their excuse. I claim BS, but I need ammo to prove it (yes folks, as a GM owner, the burden of proof is on the owner, not the dealer)

Anyone have any thoughts? I am thinking that I might need have the dealer check the alignment, but the tires are wearing very evenly (over the pask 7k miles at least)...

Reed

Well let's see. The new tires were probably rubbing as soon as you put them on. Sometimes a rubbing tire will make a racket, but when rubbing on the inner wheel well (black plastic) they can be very quiet while rubbing. The rubbing can generate so much friction that the plastic actually melts. Consider the large block tread pattern of the BFG, there isn't going to be a lot of resonance (noise) as compared to a tire with an intense thread design.

It not unusual for tire of the same spec'd size, made by different manufacturers to actually have slightly different dimensions. I read some acticle in the last week that stated this very fact.

I would be very surprised if your alignment was so far out as to cause the rub...there would be other issues.

Finally, what the heck is it with some of these bone headed dealers. Life is so much better when dealing with a good dealership.:cloud9:

BowenCT
03-14-06, 08:57 AM
It sounds like it is only rubbing under tight, slow, lock-to-lock type turning. Is this possibly the case?

V-SATX
03-14-06, 09:04 AM
Reed,

If you went with stock sizes, I can not imagine you would have a tire size problem. Did you hit a pot hole or something else? With stock size tire; rubbing would seem to be a front end issue. The front end may have been moved somehow way out of alignment. Just my guess.

CTS5
03-14-06, 11:14 AM
Has the plastic inner fender dropped down? I had this on my passenger side which allowed rubbing at about the 2:00 position (which would be 10:00 on the driver's side). The fastener had pulled out a bit and allowed the head to slip through the fastening hole on the inner fender.

ctsvett
03-14-06, 12:19 PM
I looked at the front end.. Everything looks in alignment and no body panels are misalgined...

I previously checked the clips to make sure they were all in place... 2 were missing but when I put them in, it made no difference.

Not enough material is worn away to make be believe that this has been happening since I got the tires. The noise is very obvious and I remember when I first heard it. Nothing happened aroound that time.

Still stumped... I am going to have a friend drive around the parking lot while I watch... Yes, it does happen in turns, (not necessarily tight turns though)...

Reed

urbanski
03-14-06, 01:32 PM
i'd go for the droopy plastic theory, too.
the clips wear out, things sag....need a plastopexy :p

CTS5
03-21-06, 11:34 PM
What was it?

wildwhl
03-21-06, 11:41 PM
Too much beer in the trunk and too much cash in the passenger seat causing it to ride low?

heavymetals
03-22-06, 12:18 AM
Reed,

You can borrow my camera mount and see if you can record it.

ctsvett
03-22-06, 12:39 AM
Still happening.. too busy to deal with it now... rear is binding (issue 1) tires in front are rubbing (issue 2)... A buddy of mine owns a zo6 and complained about the bushings.. i gotta look now...

Can someone measure the gap between the front of their front tire and the wheel well? Stock car please or BFGs..

Thanks,

Reed

nikon
03-22-06, 10:59 AM
well, I dont understand exactly where yours is rubbing but on my stock tires I'v got 1 and almost 1-1/4 of clearance with the tires straight on the edge of the wheel well, I know this might not be where your rubbing is but maybee a good reference point...hope that helps.

oh ya, and what model bfg tire are you running, how do you like it....I've always been a big fan of BFG I want the kdw-2's

jspridge
03-30-06, 10:38 PM
Found this on the regular CTS board. I think this is the problem with my car:

http://service.gm.com/engif/000/999/999/999999995.gif Subject:Creak Noise from Front End When Braking or Turning - keywords arm brake bushing control end LCA lower squeak #PIC3802 - (12/08/2005)

Models:2003-2006 Cadillac CTS

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="http://service.gm.com/servlets/BlobShtml?ShtmlFile=1740964&psdid=888&evc=sm#ss1-1740964">Condition/Concern:

Some owners may report a creak type noise while braking or on slow turns coming from the front suspension. In some cases this is caused by the rear lower control arm bushing rubbing against its outer rate washer. This can be isolated as lubing or wetting the rear bushing will temporarily eliminate the noise. While this noise can be irritating, it poses no durability or functional concern. Engineering is developing a washer that can be installed between the bushing and its outer rate plate that will isolate contact between the two. Owners should be encouraged to wait for this new washer rather than have the control arm replaced as the noise could return over time. Watch for updates in SI for the future release of this part.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Jschmank
03-30-06, 11:08 PM
Reed
another thought would be to go to tirerack.com and look up the BFG and F1 tire specs. This shows all the dimensions of the tire and you would be able to see if the BFG is bigger around or wider than stock. Can't imagine it would make a difference. but at least it would eliminate the tire as the culpret.

Chef
03-31-06, 12:39 AM
I had a similar experience with my BMW 850i --- same exact symptoms with Kumho Ecsta's. Ended up that the rim (wheel was slightly warped/bent) and it was very, very slight but it was the issue. I had a buddy do the parking lot two step and watched it ----:confused:

my .02

Chef

VELOSE
03-31-06, 01:05 AM
I'm going to go with Geno's theory. It could be the tire is larger than your stocks eventhough the tires are the same size. Also, check to see if for any reason your front end could've shifted. The simplest solution would be if the plastic liner just came loose and began making contact with the tire. Hopefully you can figure it out.

SBONES
03-31-06, 09:43 AM
i have 245 40 19 and t1r's....when i turn the wheel all the way to right and go in a circle....i hear a slight rub...only right.:hmm:

CVP33
03-31-06, 05:22 PM
Reed,

I posted similar rubbing with my 255/45's but chalked it up to the increased tire size. Weird indeed.

Chef
03-31-06, 05:32 PM
I now think it's definitely the tire sizing...

NORRISK66
03-31-06, 05:57 PM
maybe this was already covered-but i did not see any mention of stock or aftermarket rims?

Jschmank
03-31-06, 08:19 PM
I looked up the F1's and the BFG t/a KDW-2's (not sure if these are what you have on but guessed). The tire diameter of the F1's is 26.6" and the BFG's are 26.8". So they are slightly taller, but I can't imagine .2" would make that much difference. Curious to know what you are finding out about this.

ctsvett
04-01-06, 03:02 AM
problem is that I put tires on it 6 months ago and the rubbing started about a month ago now...

Yes, they are the KDW2s on STOCK rims...

I am beginning to think I have a bushing issue up front or my car is way out of alignment.... I am going into the dealer in a few weeks and will get them to check the alignment...

also have a pop coming from the left rear... Maybe the bushings are creaking...

Reed