: Can't find in shop manual/valve gasket replament

rapster37
03-13-06, 11:53 PM
I just bought the 3set 2nd edition 1998 Catera shop manual. I can't seem to find the page in replacing the gasket. The only thing I see is something on the camshaft and intake manifold. Are the same as the valve cover?

Omega_man
03-15-06, 08:20 AM
Hello,

Are you trying to find out how to replace the gaskets under the black cam covers?

James.

rapster37
03-16-06, 12:53 AM
Yes James.

Omega_man
03-16-06, 02:53 AM
Hello,

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=63628

This links to a How To on the UK Omega forum, for this exact job. A couple of points to add from my experience of doing the job.

1 - Access is improved if you remove the wipers and scuttle first (a 5 min job)

2 - Long nose pliers are ideal for removing the bolts from the inlet bridge (bit below the plenum chamber)

3 - Remove the black crankcase vent pipes and blast them through to clear any crud out

4 - Use only the black sealant, Cadillac should be able to supply that.

5 - Saturate the EGR valve bolts overnight in WD40 or whatever penertrating oil you have in the states :).

6 - Take your time, worst case, invisage having the car off the road for 2 days.

7 - All the advise given in the above link, and info above is to be used entirely at the owners risk, no responsibility for potential damage to person or car is accepted :).

8 - If unsure, label where all wire connectors plug into, with those luminous permanent coloured markers.

Hope this helps.

James.

rapster37
03-17-06, 01:03 AM
James,

Wow!! Thank you soooo much. The book does not detail it the way you did. I can go ahead now get the work done. I think a lot of user here in the forum will love what you have done.:worship: :worship:

Hey James, If you have anymore work you've done on your car please send to me...either here in the forum or send to me here redmaster1@msn.com (eredmaster1@msn.com).

1986cimarron
05-28-06, 10:52 PM
Document ID# 247808
1998 Cadillac Catera

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Camshaft Cover Removal

http://service.gm.com/engif/000/000/217/217344.gif

Remove the oil filter tube from the driver side valve cover.
Remove the valve cover bolts (2).
Remove the valve cover (4).

Important
Ensure that all eight sealing O-rings (3) are accounted for. O-rings may stick to the camshaft bearing caps. O-rings may fall into the oil return journals in the cylinder head.

Remove the valve cover seals.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 247808
1998 Cadillac Catera

Document ID# 248334
1998 Cadillac Catera

Camshaft Cover Installation
Lightly coat new seals, including the O-rings, with engine oil prior to installation to assist in holding the O-ring seals to the valve cover.
Install the valve cover seals.

Apply a thin coat of silicone sealer GM P/N 12345997 at the front and at the back of the seals.
Install the valve cover to the cylinder head.
Install the valve cover bolts.

Tighten
Tighten the valve cover bolts to 8 N·m (71 lb in).

Document ID# 248334
1998 Cadillac Catera