: Brembo Big Brake Kit Question

vietfob714
03-14-06, 12:08 AM
I was planning on gettin the Brembo Big brake kit and if I heard correctly, I cannot use my stock wheels & tires right? If that is true, Can i get a set of 18s for when i go snowboarding and stuff or are 18s to small? Help me out. Thanks.

DLE
03-14-06, 04:20 PM
I would like to know this as well. I have an 02' Escalade (not EXT) and plan on upgrading to 24s, which means, I gotta upgrade the brakes.

I dont want it to not be able to put my stockies back on for winter?

SOmebody here has to know. Come on peeps. Help a brotha out. :thumbsup:

integline
03-14-06, 04:53 PM
i am almost positive if you do the brembo's u will need 18's as well. Im pretty sure if you get the right offset 18's thye will be fine, but u could run into osme problems. call brembo and baer and ask them though if your serious about this.

05 Cadillac Escalade
03-14-06, 08:25 PM
I was planning on gettin the Brembo Big brake kit and if I heard correctly, I cannot use my stock wheels & tires right? If that is true, Can i get a set of 18s for when i go snowboarding and stuff or are 18s to small? Help me out. Thanks.

Why are you upgrading your brakes? I am just confused because I don't see a reason for the big brake upgrade if you are not going to upgrade your rims as well. Is there any particular reason for this?

Thanks.

Synergetic
03-14-06, 08:37 PM
When some punks took a knife to my tires a few months ago, I had to put some spares on to get the tires replaced. We removed all four wheels and went to go throw on some 18" stock rims and they didn't fit! So I had to borrow a set of 22's to get them to fit over my 14" rotors.

LADE in the SHADE
03-14-06, 09:49 PM
I have been asking the question of upgrading my brakes but still being able to use the stock 17s for a long time. In the summer I have 22s but I want to put the stockers on for the winter. I dont think anything can be done.

vietfob714
03-15-06, 12:22 AM
I'm upgrading my wheels and want to know if i can fit my stocks on if i wanna go up to the mountains or something... but i will be upgrading to 24s within the next month or 2

hcvone
03-15-06, 07:34 AM
Some 18's will not fit the large brakes, you can get AT tires in 20" size.

toneman
03-21-06, 01:47 PM
If the Brembo full kit (even rotor-only ones that come with caliper relocation hardware) includes rotors larger than 14", then 18" wheels won't work. Baer Alumasport kits can take an 18" minimum; that's the size I'm gonna get for my DXL to use as a spare.

Note--I have done some "research" into getting the right-sized spare that'll work in a GM fullsize SUV/Alumasport setup. Basically, if you go 18" you can either get a 285-60-18, which has roughly the same overall circumference as a non-spare stock or 305-40-22 tire (meaning, no speedo accuracy issues)...or go with a 265-60-18, which has roughly the same circumference as the factory spare (which on my DXL is 245-75-16). The deal with going with a 265-60 is that it won't sit relatively lower to the ground than a 285-60 would. Keep in mind that both 265 and 285 will have wider tread widths than 245; with a 285, the spare will be roughly 1 1/2" closer to the ground than the factory spare. Not that big a deal function-wise, but from an aesthetic standpoint a 285 might not "tuck" in the spare tire storage area as cleanly as say, a 265...meaning, the 285 might be easily visible from behind due to its relatively larger tread width.

mallettv
03-22-06, 01:28 AM
Yo I got the big brembo brake kit, get anterra 20inch rims, and toyo beefed up tires. Got it on mine for winter, sick. Only some wheels work with those brakes they just clear my 0Z commanches in 24.

Nasty Black Lac
03-22-06, 11:57 AM
Yo I got the big brembo brake kit, get anterra 20inch rims, and toyo beefed up tires. Got it on mine for winter, sick. Only some wheels work with those brakes they just clear my 0Z commanches in 24.

I would like to see some pics of these. I am now thinking of getting either 20s or 22s with meaty tires. Please post some if possible. Thanks.

toneman
03-22-06, 01:13 PM
Update--the 18" wheel I chose to go with will not clear the Alumasport caliper--just 1/2" more (if at that) and it would have cleared...so now I have no choice but to go w/ a 20" spare...not unless someone can offer as to exactly which 18" wheel(s) will indeed clear the Alumasport caliper.

And if 18" won't clear the Alumasport caliper, in all likelyhood it definitely won't clear a front Brembo or Wilwood caliper; it might clear the rear if a 13" rear rotor is used...or, if you choose not to get a rear brake kit. If the rear rotor is 14" or larger...than 18" wheel is most likely a no-go as well.

Bismarck
03-26-06, 01:40 AM
I have the full Brembo setup... wish I had gone with another brand. After 20K miles the rotors are so shot they are worth less. Go with Wilwood or Baer. BRembo is only a name... their products are poor as compared to other makers. I learned the hard way.

hornyjuan
03-26-06, 02:33 AM
I have the full Brembo setup... wish I had gone with another brand. After 20K miles the rotors are so shot they are worth less. Go with Wilwood or Baer. BRembo is only a name... their products are poor as compared to other makers. I learned the hard way.

Both front and back rotors are shot? Did you season the rotors and bed the pads?

Steelhead Jess
03-26-06, 03:20 AM
Both front and back rotors are shot? Did you season the rotors and bed the pads?

can you explain a little further?

blown black caddy
03-26-06, 01:35 PM
Sounds like you didn't? I've used Baer, AP racing and Brembo on my vehicles. They all have been good brake systems! Basically you are heat cycling the metal rotors. For your reading pleasure. :thumbsup:

http://baer.com/baer/news/img/Pad_Bedding_Street_Light_Track.pdf

http://baer.com/baer/news/img/Pad_Bedding_Street_Light_Track.pdf

BBC

Steelhead Jess
03-27-06, 02:26 AM
thanks BBC

toneman
03-27-06, 12:54 PM
Boy, I know what you speak about seasoning and bedding--took me a few nights on deserted stretches of road in order to complete the seasoning and bedding process on my Baers...LOL!!!

NOCLRNCE
03-28-06, 01:59 AM
How many pistons are in those calipers? The more pistons that are in them the wider and longer they would be i think.

Todd TCE
04-06-06, 10:41 AM
The Wilwood kit will not even come close to fitting 18s. Min would be 20s.