: Overheat, Part 2

bjohnsto
03-13-06, 09:36 PM
My wife just got home with the somewhat warm Caddy. I opened the hood to check the coolant level and I could hear air escaping from the cap on the reservoir.

Could this be a part of the boil-over problem?

Ranger
03-13-06, 10:53 PM
Probably. May be exhaust gasses pressurizing the cooling system (head gasket).

Zorb750
03-14-06, 05:08 AM
Probably, Ranger? I'd say it's most likely that you are correct about exhaust gasses.

Easy test for that... Start car (cool) with cap off, let it run for a few seconds or a minute to get the air out of the system (it's self bleeding to the tank, if you didn't know that) if there is any, put car in drive, on brake, run the engine against the brake to about 1200-1300 RPM, and watch the coolant fly 8" into the air if your head gasket's blown. If it's not, coolant won't leave the tank, and your overheat's probably something else. I have my money on head gasket though.

bjohnsto
03-14-06, 11:02 AM
Well, I did your test, Zorb. Coolant didn't go flying all over but there were some very fine air bubbles in the coolant tank.

What are your opinions on Steel Seal, Thermogasket, and like products?

Since the head gasket (if blown) isn't far gone, will those products fix it long enough to trade it back to the dealer from whence it came 1.5 yrs ago?

Ranger
03-14-06, 11:47 AM
You will see some very fine bubbles. Those are from the purge line. Repairs in a bottle don't work. Have the cap pressure tested to be sure it is holding 15 psi.