: So whats the deal?

Brett
03-13-06, 08:25 PM
I've been thinking about buying a V for the weekends, and plan on making some heavy modifications, but it seems like even with a ton of money invested people are having trouble getting below 12.5's. Are the V's just not responsive to mods? whats the deal? I want an 11 sec car and it seems like it would be nearly impossible with the V.

CVP33
03-13-06, 08:33 PM
The car is very mod' friendly. The problem is keeping the drive train in tact with the increased HP. Even stock you have to baby the V off the line to avoid wheel hop, let alone protecting the differential. Add 150 HP and you're sitting on a time bomb. The CTS-V's engine is capable of 11's easy. The trans and diff are not. Read up on the guys hitting 12.50's and they'll tell you they "babied" the car off the line and "shifted easy" on their way to a 12.50 at 120mph. If you're going to mod set aside a minimum of $12,000 for a S/C, beefed up clutch and pressure plate and a beefed up rear diff'. Not cheap, but good insurance.

Luna.
03-13-06, 08:34 PM
I'm very certain that you could get into the 11s with a V. However, the V isn't what I would purchase if I wanted a drag car either.

Brett
03-13-06, 08:35 PM
I'm very certain that you could get into the 11s with a V. However, the V isn't what I would purchase if I wanted a drag car either.

i would agree with that, however I think the first gen v's are gonna become somewhat of a classic in years to come due to their low production numbers. Also you can find a used V for such a great price, compared to a used vette, its a no-brainer.

Katshot
03-14-06, 07:48 AM
What the heck are YOU going to do with a CTS-V? The car isn't real big on the inside as I recall. Get a SRT-8 and drop a supercharger on it if you want a fun, durable luxury sedan. I'm surprised you aren't thinking performance SUV to be honest. You can mod the hell out of a number of them. Escalades, Navigators, you name it.

kjr39
03-14-06, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't get a V if your main goal is getting 11s...

This may have been thousand times on this board, but the V is not a dragster.

Brett
03-14-06, 09:55 AM
What the heck are YOU going to do with a CTS-V? The car isn't real big on the inside as I recall. Get a SRT-8 and drop a supercharger on it if you want a fun, durable luxury sedan. I'm surprised you aren't thinking performance SUV to be honest. You can mod the hell out of a number of them. Escalades, Navigators, you name it.

I just cant deal with the looks of the SRT family. I hate them. Otherwise any one of them would be ideal for me.

Brett
03-14-06, 09:56 AM
I wouldn't get a V if your main goal is getting 11s...

This may have been thousand times on this board, but the V is not a dragster.

but wouldnt that be the fun of it. :)

Katshot
03-14-06, 10:06 AM
Okay, how about this, get a low-priced, use CTS-V (preferably with a blown rear) and have a solid axle rear installed. Get rid of that damn IRS and and all the trouble it brings with it. I still think a performance modded SUV would be more up your alley. Kenny Brown makes areal hot Aviator. They probably do Navigators too. Or don't you want a SUV? Hey, how about that new SRT-8 Jeep?

Brett
03-14-06, 10:28 AM
the first part is exactly what im thinking. The low used prices make the V pretty affordable next to the other cars. BTW I bought an Armada, thats really the only SUV I need.

ctsvflorida
03-14-06, 10:32 AM
If you are just looking to go fast for the least money, a 2002-2004 ZO6 is the only way to go! A few mods on tose and they are fast! You can buy an 02 for around $30k and with a few miles, around $27k, put $7k into that car and you are deep in the 11's. As far as 4 door cars, the V is not recommended for the 11's and I am a relatively new V owner who wants to go as fast as possible! You would need a full time mechanic and you will lose your warranty quickly, to go 11's. If you are up to a serious challenge and time and money are not much of an issue, then go for it! I can say, good luck! I think the charger srt8 would be a good start but who knows what will blow up on that thing once 500+ HP is reached. I am pretty sure the interior will fall apart quickly but as long as your going fast, who cares!

Brett
03-14-06, 10:35 AM
If you are up to a serious challenge and time and money are not much of an issue, then go for it! I can say, good luck!

:yup:

ctsvflorida
03-14-06, 11:10 AM
Brett, one more thing! If you haven't driven one yet, then I recommend it highly! I knew that I couldn't make the V really fast but had to have it anyway! I just figure I will make it as fast as I can with warranty for another 3 1/2 years and then I will extend it! I liked it so much that going faster faded quickly! For some reason, it sure feels faster than it is but bone stock it feels OK only! Just what I have done is a pretty big difference and the bushing from the dealer were a great thing to get rid of most of the wheel hop. Now it just skips a little! Just go and drive one!

Katshot
03-14-06, 01:09 PM
the first part is exactly what im thinking. The low used prices make the V pretty affordable next to the other cars. BTW I bought an Armada, thats really the only SUV I need.

How do you like it? I remember reading some fairly low ratings on them and the Infiniti variant. I'd be interested to know what a REAL person actually thinks about them.

urbanski
03-14-06, 01:17 PM
you'll dig the V man
she's such an awesome daily driver, what with nav, easily-upgraded stereo, road manners that's it's almost sad to think you may severely impact your driveability by making her an 11-sec drag racer.
why not buy an Evo and mod it all to hell? the V is just so damn nice :p

Brett
03-14-06, 01:18 PM
I love it...I bought it as a third vehicle, I think most of the problems were with the '04's, I've had 10k miles with no problems.

Katshot
03-14-06, 02:29 PM
you'll dig the V man
she's such an awesome daily driver, what with nav, easily-upgraded stereo, road manners that's it's almost sad to think you may severely impact your driveability by making her an 11-sec drag racer.
why not buy an Evo and mod it all to hell? the V is just so damn nice :p

:histeric: You're killing me!! Brett in an EVO?! :histeric:

Brett
03-14-06, 02:32 PM
yeah, a CTS is pushing it, an EVO would probably be impossible

Katshot
03-14-06, 02:32 PM
I love it...I bought it as a third vehicle, I think most of the problems were with the '04's, I've had 10k miles with no problems.

I must admit, I'd assume you'd like a big truck better. Just more comfortible to get in and out of, if nothing else. I remember racing a guy with one of the Infiniti's and being surprised how quick it was. How's the Nissan variant?

Brett
03-14-06, 02:53 PM
all things considered, its great performance-wise. and the fold flat cargo area really blows away the GM trucks, which sucks because I like the styling of the new ones.

Lord Cadillac
03-14-06, 03:00 PM
I remember going for a test drive in the Inifiniti QX56. A guy walked in with me and did the test drive along with me as well.. He had a 2003 Navigator and just got done with a test drive of the 2005 Navigator. He was stunned at the power and handling of the QX56 and purchased a new one right there. 0-60 in mid 6s is nice for an SUV. The Armada has that same power?

Wait. You liked the Armada better than your LS430? I guess you just got bored of it...

The Escalade can't get Brett anywhere near the 11s modified. Could it?

Katshot
03-14-06, 03:12 PM
You haven't commented on any Ford products. Don't like them? I know the Expedition and Navigator have fold-flat cargo floors too. Not sure about the new GM 900 SUVs but I know the GM 800's didn't have a fold-flat floor. The new GM trucks are "supposed" to be quite nice but out of all three, I think I only like the Tahoe to be honest. The last generation Denali was hot-looking IMO, much better than the new one, and I'm still not loving the new Escalade yet.

Brett
03-14-06, 03:27 PM
too many fords in my area. Tampa must be ford country because you could trip over an expedition walking to the bathroom.

Katshot
03-16-06, 05:54 AM
Maybe that's why you don't have a Caddy also? ;)