: pin striping

CognLac
01-09-04, 10:41 AM
Does anyone know the best way to remove the painted on pin stripe on my 98 deville. I have removed all the badges on the car and would love to remove the final bit of gold.

Spock
01-09-04, 03:10 PM
Painted on? Unless you'd like to lightly sand it and then paint over with the same colour to mask it. I was repainting my car completely, so I just painted over it, gave me a reference to put a new pinstripe on afterwards. I think it may come down to actually sanding it off and then repainting, unless there is a another method of removing paint that is less instrusive.

CognLac
01-09-04, 05:29 PM
Painted on? Unless you'd like to lightly sand it and then paint over with the same colour to mask it. I was repainting my car completely, so I just painted over it, gave me a reference to put a new pinstripe on afterwards. I think it may come down to actually sanding it off and then repainting, unless there is a another method of removing paint that is less instrusive.

??yea painted ?? weird I know. humm I dont think I trust myself with sand paper near my baby. Any other deville owners have theirs painted on?

os101king
02-02-04, 11:19 AM
find a reputable detailer. it's not too hard to get those off if you know what you're doing with a 'wheel', but it's REAL easy to take the paint underneath off, too. that's assuming that the pin is at least a couple years old and OVER the clear. unless she's been painted since new, you're safe. the enamel most stripers use degrades pretty quickly outside. i have a 94, and the pin on that basically rubs off. (garaged from 94-2001). any good detailer will be able to get it off, and hopefully blend the paint underneath with the rest of the finish (the paint under the stripes will be BRAND NEW remember.)

CognLac
02-09-04, 01:10 PM
thanks OS101 i will look into that