: need info on lowering...about belltech and mcguaghy

clubrph
03-13-06, 06:34 PM
hello need info on lowering......please help.....

1. is there a big notice of ride quality? i'm riding on 26 inches all ready.

2. anyone ever heard of belltech?

3. my local sportrux, a upgrade shop, said that belltech is the best company for lowering kit. he said that mcguaghy normally copies their designs. any input?

4. anyone has belltech that could elaborate on quality?

5. and i own a ext, so is a 2/3 drop good for it riding on 26?

6. please please help. thanks.

clubrph
03-13-06, 06:35 PM
oh yeah, how about the problem of bottoming out on the truck bed? thanks.

cburand
03-13-06, 07:53 PM
I called McGaughys http://www.mcgaughys.com and asked them several questons about tires with their kits. My local shop recommended some lowered springs in the rear for $300 which she said was a cheap rough riding way to go.

According to McGaugys, Bell Tech tried to copy their patented spindle, and sell as their own. Suposedly Mcgaughys took Bell Tec to Federal court and won, after which it was bought out by a door handle manufacturer from overseas in order to use the name. I was wondering why the bell tech site http://www.belltechcorp.com/ has been down for at least a month.

Anyway, she said they had a Tahoe on 22s with the 305/40s and it rubbed just a bit in tight turns. I do not know about anything bigger. Will be happy if I can do 45s.

I am going with mcgaugys, they at least won the SEMA award. Based on what she said it looks like Bell Tech is slipping.:thumbsup:

05 Cadillac Escalade
03-13-06, 09:06 PM
Good choice. The McGaughy's seems to be the most popular lowering kit on the forum. I have only heard positive reviews for it and most people go with the 2"/3" Deluxe kit. Good luck.

Thanks.

hornyjuan
03-13-06, 09:09 PM
1. If you plan on dumping 26"s good luck with rub! I don't even think you can make a turn anymore. As far as ride quality I have seen no change with McGaughys. My buddy has a belltech drop with same wheel/tire configuration as mine and he says it rides a tad stiffer. If anything, the rear rides a bit stiffer because of coils. The drop spindle is definetly a great invention.

2. Yes, belltech is a very reputable company. They've been around just as long as McGaughys and they have a drop spindle as well. I think McGaughys just perfected it.

3. Considering the drop spindle design hasn't changed for the past 5 years I really don't see how they just copy Belltech's designs all the time. I think Belltech came out with the drop spindle in '01 and Mcgaughys came out in '03. This is only pertinent to 02'-06' Escalade designs so I don't know if either one copies one another on different truck/car platforms.

4. Belltech quality is good. McGaughys quality is good as well. You can't lose with either. But if I had to choose, I'd go with McGaughys without a doubt. I haven't heard anything bad about either...just McGaughys rides better IMO when compared with my buddies car.

5. Personally, 26"s with 2/3 will look SLAMMED. I'm not really sure about your tire configuration or how wide your rims are, but you'll definetly have issues with rub both front and back. Check to see if you get rub now and visualize your car 2/3 lower. 3-POINT TURN CITY!

ILLNALI
03-13-06, 09:26 PM
use the search function this has been addressed several times.. You can run Mcgaughy's 2/3 w/ 26's. there is some rubbing on the windshield washer resevervoir, and fender liners, nothing a little trimming can't help. They will give you the best ride for you can get on those rubberbands...

Here is a shot of my truck when I had the Mcgaughy's and 26's... I would not say it was slammed...I adjusted the torsion keys to make it look more even..

http://theprintingempire.com/denali/before%20changes/before%20changes%20%283%29%20%28Medium%29.JPG

05 Cadillac Escalade
03-13-06, 09:30 PM
That Denali has a real nice look. What kind of rims do you have on it? I am impressed.

Thanks.

hornyjuan
03-13-06, 09:32 PM
use the search function this has been addressed several times.. You can run Mcgaughy's 2/3 w/ 26's. there is some rubbing on the windshield washer resevervoir, and fender liners, nothing a little trimming can't help. They will give you the best ride for you can get on those rubberbands...

Here is a shot of my truck when I had the Mcgaughy's and 26's... I would not say it was slammed...I adjusted the torsion keys to make it look more even..

http://theprintingempire.com/denali/before%20changes/before%20changes%20%283%29%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Deluxe kit does not have torsion key. Torsion key and drop spindle are in a totally different class. Ride quality is night and day.

dnyce617
03-14-06, 10:42 AM
I'm pretty sure he's talking about using the spindle and adjusting the key for a small front to back adjustment. The spindle and torsion bar are completely independant, you can use the spindle and still adjust the height +/- 1" or so using the torsion key.

integline
03-14-06, 11:16 AM
that denali was nice. I think during summer if i keep my cadi ill do this mod. now that my factory warrant is gone should i dare to start modding this beast???
Go with the Mcguagy kit. everyone everywhere that i have tealked to recommends this.

womsterr
03-14-06, 03:52 PM
I went a little different and got Eibach lowering kit with the sway bars....haven't installed it yet...

ILLNALI
03-14-06, 10:57 PM
I'm pretty sure he's talking about using the spindle and adjusting the key for a small front to back adjustment. The spindle and torsion bar are completely independant, you can use the spindle and still adjust the height +/- 1" or so using the torsion key.

exactly... roughly +1"

DLE
05-23-06, 01:23 PM
Alright you guys. I just brought this thread back to life. I know it was last posted in March of 06.

But I was wondering, in the meantime, did anybody installed the Belltech lowering kit on their lade yet???

I am in the process of looking for a lowering kit.

Anyways, I just called around at the local suspension shops, and they said that they will only install the lowering kits that THEY sell!

I know most of you guys have the McGaughys kit, but if I order that, the shops here wont install it for me. Plus I called and for that kit, it costs $500 or so.

Well, I spoke w/ Les Schwab and they said that they carry the Belltech kit with spindles. Its a 2" front and 3" drop on the back. They said that they have installed many of the Belltech kits on Escalades and Denali's around my town, and that none of them has complained about it at all!

They gave me a price quote today for the Belltech kit w/ spindles installed on my '02 lade is $772.

You guys think I should go for it? Its warranteed by them and everything if I have them do it..

That prices includes EVERYTHING, from lowering kit, to alignments, etc.

I have 24's. 305/35/24s on my lade.

I need you guys opinions.

They also have the Eibach kit, but I guess its only 1" front (torsion adjust.) and 2" back (springs) for $310 installed. I told them, I dont want that, because thats not much of a drop, plus I dont want to mess with the torsion bars anyway.

fast66
05-23-06, 02:16 PM
Alright you guys. I just brought this thread back to life. I know it was last posted in March of 06.

But I was wondering, in the meantime, did anybody installed the Belltech lowering kit on their lade yet???

I am in the process of looking for a lowering kit.

Anyways, I just called around at the local suspension shops, and they said that they will only install the lowering kits that THEY sell!

I know most of you guys have the McGaughys kit, but if I order that, the shops here wont install it for me. Plus I called and for that kit, it costs $500 or so.

Well, I spoke w/ Les Schwab and they said that they carry the Belltech kit with spindles. Its a 2" front and 3" drop on the back. They said that they have installed many of the Belltech kits on Escalades and Denali's around my town, and that none of them has complained about it at all!

They gave me a price quote today for the Belltech kit w/ spindles installed on my '02 lade is $772.

You guys think I should go for it? Its warranteed by them and everything if I have them do it..

That prices includes EVERYTHING, from lowering kit, to alignments, etc.

I have 24's. 305/35/24s on my lade.

I need you guys opinions.

They also have the Eibach kit, but I guess its only 1" front (torsion adjust.) and 2" back (springs) for $310 installed. I told them, I dont want that, because thats not much of a drop, plus I dont want to mess with the torsion bars anyway.
all the advice i can give is either go to seattle or portland and get the mcgaughys installed.

integline
05-23-06, 03:03 PM
david from reading everything on this board and seeing the dispute between bell and Mcnau, and Bells site being down, i would go with the McNa.

Im sure others shops are capable of installing a lowering kit on the eski other than that one shop. Not sure what you want and if time is an issue but wait until you can get the McNau!!!

Vik

enjoylife
05-23-06, 07:14 PM
I just put mcguaghys on about 1 month ago and looks amazing. The ride is still good, I find that the ride suffers more because of the 22" wheel if you have 26" then your ride will probebly suffer more. I have 305/45/22 and get little rubbing on the driver front side (could be fixed no problem) and some rub on passenger rear when making a left turn (could be fixed by cutting 3/4 of an inch off the wheel well). No big deal either Trust Me!

enjoylife
05-23-06, 07:14 PM
I just put mcguaghys on about 1 month ago and looks amazing. The ride is still good, I find that the ride suffers more because of the 22" wheel if you have 26" then your ride will probebly suffer more. I have 305/45/22 and get little rubbing on the driver front side (could be fixed no problem) and some rub on passenger rear when making a left turn (could be fixed by cutting 3/4 of an inch off the wheel well). No big deal either Trust Me!

enjoylife
05-23-06, 07:17 PM
Sorry guy's pressed reply 2 times! OPPPS:thepan:

TheCaddyKidd
05-23-06, 07:25 PM
Yea my biggest worry is the ride also... I live in NJ.. pothole central... the ride is already a little rough with the 22's.. just nervous that ill pay for the drop and then want it off right away.. the stock height on the EXT isnt that bad.. but would be nice to get rid of the wheel well.. anyone else have dropped pics.. especially the 2/3 Mcguaphy's drop... thanks

ALLeyez187onME
05-23-06, 11:35 PM
coming from a person on 26's with a 2/3 inch drop, you wont have a problem, if you cut the ends of the fender wells and there is a sheet of metal that sticks out, under the fender that will cut the outer wall of the tire if you dont cut it with metal cutters. Other than that my ride is pretty good, your going to notice its a lot stiffer, after you rub and scrape a few times, everything in your fenderwell should be shaved down so you should only really noticed scrapage when fully turning or turning on a slant or dip. Other than its worth it, go for it! good luck