: 06 CTS or 06 BMW 330i? - Update - Getting BMW 330i instead of CTS

Mr. Caddy
03-13-06, 04:38 PM
After much comparison and several test drives in both cars, I have decided to get a new 330i instead of the CTS. Here are the major factors that took the CTS out of the picture:

1. Color - I really wanted a Blue car and the Black interior was a must have. Not sure why Cadillac does not allow the Blue Chip with black interior anymore.
2. Emergency brake - Why is this on the floor? That's just unacceptable with a manual Trans.
3. Maintenance warranty - Must have on a car like this.
4. Interior quality - Just not up to par with European cars.
5. Daytime running lights - There has to be an option to turn these off.

The things I did like:
1. Great acceleration - Car has plenty of getup and go!
2. Ride comfort - Definitely better than BMW but does sacrifice some handling.
3. Roominess - Has more interior room and trunk space than the BMW.
4. Cost - Would have been about 5K less than the BMW.
5. Radio - Blows away the BMW radio period.

All in all the biggest factor was not being able to get the color combination that I really wanted. I almost settled for black on black but just don't want the hassle of caring for a black car and if I'm going to spend that kind of money I better be able to get the color that I want.

Anyway just thought I would share my thoughts for anyone who cares. I would defiantly consider Cadillac again in the future when the time comes to get something new.

aeromass
03-13-06, 04:51 PM
Enjoy the 330i. The BWM is a great car, and I like them, so I can't slam you for your choice.

One thing though, I may be the only person that doesn't mind the e-brake on the floor. I'll tell you why; the center console has a real clean look without one of those long handles-in-a-bag riding down along side of it.

FSU_Noles
03-13-06, 05:09 PM
I have no problems with the brake on the floor. I like that I don't have to lift my console armrest to release/engage the e-brake. I guess I grew up with them on the floor and don't consider that to be a negative.

Good luck with your bimmer... happy motoring.

2004CTS
03-13-06, 06:58 PM
Interersting feedback. Not going to bash your decision or BMWs, but seems like most of you rationale is based on relatively minute things. Enjoy it.

ChicagoCTS32
03-13-06, 07:10 PM
As long as you're happy, that's all that really matters. Enjoy!

RichCTS
03-13-06, 11:03 PM
Good! Now go join a BMW forum.

SoCadillac
03-13-06, 11:11 PM
What is so easy to forget, because the CTS is designed so well, is that it is in its first generation. Let me repeat that--first generation. What iteration is the BMW 3 series in? The second generation CTS should be much better, and the generation after that the same. Cadillac has a winner on its hands with the CTS.

ChicagoCTS32
03-13-06, 11:27 PM
What is so easy to forget, because the CTS is designed so well, is that it is in its first generation. Let me repeat that--first generation. What iteration is the BMW 3 series in? The second generation CTS should be much better, and the generation after that the same. Cadillac has a winner on its hands with the CTS.

Quite right. It's going to be very interesting to see what happens with the 2nd gen CTS. Cadillac has certainly turned themselves around and created a widely accepted car company. (read that as, the Art & Science design has created something new that didn't shoot themselves in the foot)

BishopRuger
03-14-06, 10:49 AM
I cant wait for the next gen CTS, hopefully its killer. Hey kind of out line w/the thread but I was just at the dealership today and sat in a STS, are they all standard push button start??

pjohnesq
03-14-06, 11:57 AM
After much comparison and several test drives in both cars, I have decided to get a new 330i instead of the CTS.
I was in the EXACT position as you in November 2003. the 330i or the CTS, so I know where you are coming from. I opted for the CTS and have had no regrets. Enjoy the Beamer!.....

PAW 47
03-14-06, 03:38 PM

I have to disagree here! Having autocrossed against one & driven one they are very equal. CTS Sport pakage vs 330i (4dr) Sport package. The only advantage the BMW has is wider tires. Other then that, I don't see paying extra.

MikeB066
03-15-06, 05:59 AM
After much comparison and several test drives in both cars, I have decided to get a new 330i instead of the CTS. Here are the major factors that took the CTS out of the picture:

1. Color - I really wanted a Blue car and the Black interior was a must have. Not sure why Cadillac does not allow the Blue Chip with black interior anymore.
2. Emergency brake - Why is this on the floor? That's just unacceptable with a manual Trans.
3. Maintenance warranty - Must have on a car like this.
4. Interior quality - Just not up to par with European cars.
5. Daytime running lights - There has to be an option to turn these off.

The things I did like:
1. Great acceleration - Car has plenty of getup and go!
3. Roominess - Has more interior room and trunk space than the BMW.
4. Cost - Would have been about 5K less than the BMW.
5. Radio - Blows away the BMW radio period.

All in all the biggest factor was not being able to get the color combination that I really wanted. I almost settled for black on black but just don't want the hassle of caring for a black car and if I'm going to spend that kind of money I better be able to get the color that I want.

Anyway just thought I would share my thoughts for anyone who cares. I would defiantly consider Cadillac again in the future when the time comes to get something new.

Since it is going to be your money you end up spending, do not let anyone else second guess your decision. Having never driven the latest generation of the 3-series I cannot offer much feedback except to say that the last generation was left wanting in the face of the power and roominess of the 3.6L CTS. Your complaints about the CTS are valid, there are plenty of forum members who have echoed your objections, including myself, in one way or another. So it comes down to personal preference and how you want to spend your earnings. Hopefully, you will enjoy the CMW and will fulfill your greatest desires. Whether it does or does not, there are plenty of well meaning folks here in the forum who are more than happy to show you the error of your ways on the street, ha-ha.:)

Really, best of luck with the BMW and thanks for your contributions to the forums.