: Few FAQ questions: Windshield and undercoat

ctsvett
03-13-06, 12:30 PM
I received a few FAQ questions that I cant answer (I live in LA, and its not cold here)... So I was hoping that you guys could throw in your opinions and experiences.

1. A owner has had his windshield crack in cold weather 2 times. Has anyone else had this happen? Dealer reaplced it the first time, but they are giving him crap the second time

2. Has anyone who lives in cold weather undercoated their car? What product did you use/ who did it? How much? Any issues with warranty at the dealer or mechanical issues that have come up?

Thanks!

Reed

thebigjimsho
03-13-06, 06:21 PM
A windshield can crack from improper installation. If the second windshield cracked starting at a pane and heading towards the middle, it should be replaced no questions asked. But things happen. I've got 137,000 miles on the original windshield on the Town Car. I've also had a rock cause a crack on a Town Car that was 2 weeks old.

As for undercoating, it's good insurance, but not necessarily needed. Keep it clean with a good hosing once in a while in the winter and you'll be fine with today's cars.

Katshot
03-14-06, 08:07 AM
We had a good number of our 2000 Devilles experience craked windshields. It wasn't until I taked to the glass guy that was doing the R&R at the dealer that I found out that GM had been using abnormally thin glass from the factory. Not sure why but after replacing with a thicker aftermarket glass, we stopped having the problem. In your case, if the glass cracked from the edge in, it's most likely a stress crack. Did they both crack in the same place? It's possible that there's a problem with an adjacent body panel moving as the chassis torques under an acceleration load. Does the guy drag race the car? It's also possible that there's a small high spot in the rim support edge of the windshield support edging. These windshields are most likely just set in urethane so if there's a high spot somewhere, it could crack the glass repeatedly (of course the glass would most likely crack in the same place which should be a clue).

keeksv
03-14-06, 08:23 AM
I've had windows blow out (yep...thought I was shot the first time) for no apparent reason in the cold weather (not on my V though). Usually fixed after the replacement is properly seated and aligned so that stress on the glass is at a minimum.

Katshot
03-14-06, 08:59 AM
Oh, I forgot to answer your question about undercoating. IMO, there's no reason to use it unless you want to gain a small amount of sound deadening.