: 1999 Eldorado won't start and left me stranded

vjmorgan309
03-13-06, 09:38 AM
I was on a trip this weekend and stopped and got gas in Mississippi. The car was running fine-no problems at all. Drove about 85 miles and stopped at a rest area and when I got ready to leave-the car wouldn't start...the motor would turn over but wouldn't crank....ever try to get a tow truck and a rental car in Mississippi on Saturday afternoon? It wasn't easy but getting stranded at the rest area wasn't exactly the way I wanted to spend Saturday night .... anyone have any ideas/suggestions as to what might be wrong before the dealer calls me with the diagnosis and I cry when I find out how much it's going to cost me?

Ranger
03-13-06, 02:19 PM
Crankshaft position sensors are a posibility. Not very expensive as I recall.

familycruiser
03-13-06, 09:16 PM
I experienced a similar problem and it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. The tip I received from these forums worked great to verify that was the problem. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/22319-northstar-starting-problems.html?highlight=pressure+regulator

To test for a rich condition causing a hard start warm/hot hold the throttle firmly to the floor before cranking and keep it firmly depressed when you crank. This enables clear flood and turns off the injectors. If the engine starts immediately then something is flooding the engine such as the FPR or a leaking injector. Thanks BeelzeBob

vjmorgan309
03-14-06, 03:29 PM
the dealership just informed me that it was the fuel pump and filter. Total costs (plus towing) $888.00