: Auto Show Impressions!!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-06, 12:21 AM
Alright so I went to the Minneapolis/ Saint Paul International auto show today and heres what I remember most.

Firstly, I looked at the Volkswagen section. I really liked the new GTi. It has a great look to it, wonderful lines, great interior, lots of luxury features, surprisingly roomy for a small car. Same with the new Golf, much better than the outgoing model, nice clean look, surprisingly roomy backseat (35" legroom) and a surprisingly large trunk. It didnt feel small at all, it felt more roomy than my friend Jared's 01 Accord EX-V6 Coupe. The next thing I remember looking at is the new A8L. Nice car, but not as roomy as the 750iL or S550, which probably had the best interior in the show.

I also liked the new 330ix, much more roomy than the A4, arguably better styling. This is the one car that Bangle didn't overdo. Then I sat in one of my dream cars, the M5. I love this car, nice seats, not great but nice. 500HP DOHC 40 Valve 5.0 V10. I was amazed to see that it's redline is 8250 RPM. Not a great looking car per se, but it stands out!

Next, I looked at the Lexus's. (Lexi?) I have to say, those are some amazing cars! Such high technology, high luxury, and I have never seen better fit and finish in a car. I sat in the GS430. Once, these cars were bland looking and lacked "personality", now they are almost as vibrant as the new Bangle BMW's. Which is probably a good thing, but many will argue that. Then we made our way over to Toyota so my friend Kevin could look at the new Tacomas, which is one of the vehicles he will purchase next. I have to say, I'm not that impressed with Toyota. They're not all they're brought up to be.

They had the Maserati MC12 race version. Very nice very nice, many many people around there with cameras, my friend Kevin probably took 10 pics of that car, from many different angles. He also got a pic of me smelling the italian leather samples they have ;)

Next, we made it over towards Acura, and I have to admit, I'm really impressed with their vehicles. Their fit and finish is excellent, many nice features in a smaller car, and some very impressive engines. He went straight for the RSX Type-S. Nice car, but I really liked the TSX! Very nice, warm inviting interior, nice seats, lots of features etc etc. I would love to own one with the 6 speed in a few years as the prices decrease. Next was Mercedes Benz, we werent there for long, but I did look at the S550, very very nice interior (best in show) TONS of rear legroom, nice warm dashboard and interior design. Just excellent. Then I looked at the CLS500, I didnt like that as much, too cramped for me, high beltline, low roof. Next I remember looking at the Grand Cherokee SRT8. I didnt like that at all, too cramped, low quality materials, the Trailblazer SS is much better! I looked at a Charger R/T Daytona, very nice seats, nice interior, high quality materials, a little flamboyant for my tastes, but still nice.

Then we made it over to L/M. I rushed off to see the Town Car, it was a designer series, and it had probably the best seats out of many cars I've seen, and the best there. Very very soft leather, and you just sink right into the seats just like in the old days. I didnt wanna get out of that car, partially because of the seats, but partially because I dont like the exterior design at all! I really thought it was cool how long that hood is though! It's longer than I am tall! (5'6") Looked at the Zephyr too, a surprisingly nice small sedan from FMC! High quality materials, nice dash design, good seats, good exterior design.

Part II comes tomorrow!

noahsdad
03-13-06, 09:04 AM
How about posting a few pics?

Jesda
03-13-06, 09:31 AM
I thought the TSX interior was cheap and flimsy, while the TL was pretty swanky. I'm not sold on the Zephyr's rear end, but I'd like to see the interior up close.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-06, 10:54 AM
How about posting a few pics?

I didnt bring my digital camera this time, but I'll bring one when I go again on Friday.

Playdrv4me
03-13-06, 12:43 PM
I thought the TSX interior was cheap and flimsy, while the TL was pretty swanky. I'm not sold on the Zephyr's rear end, but I'd like to see the interior up close.

The TL is ok... the RL is frieken GORGEOUS... too bad it still looks like an overgrown Accord. Oh wait... it is.

Jesda
03-13-06, 12:59 PM
I didnt bring my digital camera this time, but I'll bring one when I go again on Friday.

You are nothing but a tease.

http://q45.spilky.com/gallery/d/1453-1/britney1.jpg

gdwriter
03-13-06, 01:14 PM
What struck me about the new cars when I went to the Portland Auto Show back in January was there are now just three interior colors: black, gray or tan. And they all look the same.

Apparantly, Portland M-B dealers want to keep out the riff-raff because most of the Benzes were locked. I remember it was this way in Phoenix, too. Why bother coming the show? By comparison, Lexus has their cars with the electrics working so showgoers can play with all the toys. Much smarter strategy, I'd say.

The Audi A4 at the show was the standout interior for me. It was one of the rare cars that had a distinctive interior color, a beautiful gray blue (Audi calls it Platinum), with brushed metal accents.

I did like the Caddys inside and out. The Buick Lucerne was nice, too (even if it looks like a VW Passat with portholes).

Elvis
03-13-06, 06:07 PM
I like the Passat wagon for some reason.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-13-06, 07:07 PM
You are nothing but a tease.

http://q45.spilky.com/gallery/d/1453-1/britney1.jpg

No lol, a tease is when a beautifiul blonde girl friend of mine with a boyfriend says to me "feel how wet I am!!!" after brushing snow off her car!!

I was sooooooooo tempted to do that, but I had decided that probably wasnt the smartest thing to do at the time considering the bf!

gary88
03-13-06, 11:49 PM
This thread reminded me I have a bunch of pics (178) from the Chicago auto show when I was there last month. When I have time i'll upload some of them.

Jesda
03-14-06, 02:06 AM
Was the Chrysler Firepower there? DC keeps parading it around but not announcing production.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-15-06, 12:00 AM
No, I did not see the Firepower there.

Destroyer
03-15-06, 06:31 PM
I went to the Tampa Auto Show a couple of months ago. I liked Lexus and Audi the most. I was really dissapointed with the Mercedes cars at least as far as the excecution. I really wanted to check out the new S series but they werent out yet and I was real dissappointed with the CLS. Very small on the inside and the interior materials seemed rather plasticky. I found cars like the Chrysler 300 to be overhyped and dissapointing as far as the interior goes. BMW's got ugly but I still want an M5. Ford and GM were as usual......flimsy. Even the hyped up Ford 500 was way to cheap on the inside.

Zorb750
03-16-06, 03:22 AM
Firepower is such a STUPID name for a car, it sounds like they are trying to be retro, but failing very badly in the attempt.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-17-06, 01:20 AM
I went back today and took 47 pics, will post tomorrow!