: best oil to use in 04' 6.0l

Uria702
03-12-06, 09:13 PM
so my 6.0l is due for an oil change, i was just wondering what the best oil to use in this car from everyone on the boards experience is?
its a 2004 6.0l with awd.
right now i am using regular 5w-30 oil from the mobil gas station, should i be using synthetic as oppose to regular, i know that the last time i put synthetic in a gm vehicle (chevy malibu) the engine blew 7k mile after.
thank you

hornyjuan
03-12-06, 09:31 PM
Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil are all great choices. From what people say, do a regular oil change using non-syn for your first change. Then fully syn afterwards for the rest of the engines life. I'd also suggest sticking with the same synthetic oil throughout the life of your car. Personally I use amsoil and it's :thumbsup:

hcvone
03-13-06, 08:29 AM
AS said above. :) Synthetic oils just protect better, it's worth the small price difference to me. I used Red Line for 15 years and the last 5 years Amsoil. :)

OCESCALADE
03-13-06, 04:52 PM
I think it is a waste of money to put full synthetic in it. Doing frequent oil changes with a new filter every 3 to 4k should be fine with a good quality oil. But to each his own. Never have had a problem with either oils just that this is a truck and not a race car so i don't see the point. Just my opinion...

Rolex
03-13-06, 05:28 PM
Synthetic oils cost more but you don't have to change the oil as often, so the cost is offset. I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5W 30 and only change the oil every 4000-5000 miles. My oil life indicator usually indicates 25-30% oil life remaining when I have it changed.

The recommended thing is to break the vehicle in with regular motor oil, and then switch over to synthetic once the break in is complete. You should be free and clear of break in with a 2004 model, I'd recomend going full synthetic. Everything I've heard and read about synthetic indicates they prevent wear better. But like everything else.....opinions vary on the subject.

Uria702
03-13-06, 05:53 PM
the gm dealer actually told me that synthetic might be too thick for an american made engine. the last time i used syunthetic in my 01 malibu with 40k miles the engine blew and they said it was cause of the oil i used? which was castrol fully synthetic

hcvone
03-13-06, 07:09 PM
the gm dealer actually told me that synthetic might be too thick for an american made engine. the last time i used syunthetic in my 01 malibu with 40k miles the engine blew and they said it was cause of the oil i used? which was castrol fully synthetic

That is one of the funnest things I ever heard. Several American cars like Vette and Viper come with full synthetic oil. Did you know that Castrol would have paid to have your engine replaced if you would have contacted them. I have used synthetic oils in all my cars/SUV's since 1981. I am pretty sure that the V's from Caddy all come with synthetic oils.

Rolex
03-13-06, 07:48 PM
I don't believe the weight or viscosity of synthetic 5w 30 would be any different than that of petrolium based 5w 30.......but then I'm no expert.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question164.htm

hornyjuan
03-13-06, 08:43 PM
Just go fully syn...I mean it's a few dollars more per quart. If you by chance get behind on an oil change you'll be covered a little better with a synthetic oil vs petrolium. There's a reason why most high end cars use fully syn and that 6.0L monster isn't your run of the mill engine.

LADE in the SHADE
03-13-06, 09:25 PM
5w30 synthetic isnt any THICKER than 5w30 conventional. Anyone that says that just proves that they dont know what the hell they are talking about.

toneman
03-21-06, 12:04 PM
...just that this is a truck and not a race car so i don't see the point. Just my opinion...
Okay...since it's "just a truck"...do you drive your Esky like a real truck, or do you try to pamper it as if it were a luxury sedan? :thumbsup:

Don't take the above too seriously...just having a little fun at your expense.

toneman
03-21-06, 12:17 PM
...The recommended thing is to break the vehicle in with regular motor oil, and then switch over to synthetic once the break in is complete. You should be free and clear of break in with a 2004 model, I'd recomend going full synthetic...
Notwithstanding the second part of your statement (above)...on whose "authority" is it "recommended" that the vehicle (engine) be broken in w/ regular oil first, then switch to synthetic? Which leads me to:

LOL!!! Which GM dealer told you that? I could be wrong here, but don't (late-model) Corvettes come w/ synthetic from the factory? And last I checked, Corvette engines are built in America...

Also, if it were indeed true (synthetic too thick for American engines)...why would certain syn oils like Mobil 1 5W-30 and M1 10W-30 be rated so as to meet--among other specs--GM 6094M and GM 4718M (the latter being the Corvette spec)?

And hey, I'll add more fuel to the fire--many GM service departments offer syn oil changes (for a premium, of course).

Sheesh...the amount of misinformation that comes out of the mouths of some GM dealers never ceases to amuse me... :rolleyes:

Oh wait--I see hcvone previously replied with just about the same response I just posted...nevermind.

Rolex
03-21-06, 01:40 PM
Notwithstanding the second part of your statement (above)...on whose "authority" is it "recommended" that the vehicle (engine) be broken in w/ regular oil first, then switch to synthetic?

It has been my understanding that using petroleum based oil, like that installed from the factory (Escalade), is a better choice during engine break in. It allows proper wearing-in of the pistons, cylinders, rings, bearings, valves, camshaft, lifters, rockers, etc. There's a lot of misinformation floating around and everybody has an opinion (from mechanics to shade tree gear heads) about just how many miles should be driven before the modern engine is truly broken in, and when the proper time to switch over to full synthetic would be.

Through my own reading and information gathering about synthetics I found this (using petroleum oil for break-in) to be a "generally accepted" idea among gear heads, and was also posted as a recomendation by the producers of several synthetic oil manufacturers. I'm not a mechanic, nor am I an authority on the subject so I'm merely offering my anecdotal opinion.

As for what specific "authority" recomends this, well you must satisy yourself because I can't put my finger on a "person" or specific "body of knowledge" for you. Here's a link to Amsoil, which is one of the synthetics I considered for my Escalade. Their site also recomends break-in with non synthetic.

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/convertingtoamsoil.htm (http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/convertingtoamsoil.htm)

What issue do you take with my recomendation for using full synthetic? EVERY single thing I found when looking into synthetics seemed to indicate they run cooler, longer, and offer better protection to an engine. It seems like a no brainer to me. If you have information to the contrary I'd like to hear it.

toneman
03-22-06, 11:38 AM
What issue do you take with my recomendation for using full synthetic? EVERY single thing I found when looking into synthetics seemed to indicate they run cooler, longer, and offer better protection to an engine. It seems like a no brainer to me. If you have information to the contrary I'd like to hear it.
Whoa...wait a minute--where exactly did I say or imply that switching to synthetic wasn't a good thing? All I asked was where you got your information about why it was "recommended" that a new engine ("new", as in driving the vehicle off the lot--not right after the engine is built) be broken in w/ dino oil before switching to synthetic? I wasn't asking that question because I was calling you BS on it...just that more than a few high-performance vehicles come with synthetic in the engine already from the factory...so if indeed these vehicle engines needed to be broken in with dino oil first as "recommended", it must have been done at the factory.

Essentially, what I was looking for was some official authority stating that--generally speaking--if an engine was broken in w/ synthetic, there might be undesired consequences from doing so.

hcvone
03-22-06, 02:10 PM
Many new cars come with full synthetic oils, Corvette, Vipers, M5 and Ferrari's to name a few, synthetic oils are fine for break in's for new engines, that was not true years ago, but with the way engines are machined today synthetic are fine. It would be in all cars and trucks if not for the cost. :)

Rolex
03-22-06, 05:00 PM
Whoa...wait a minute--where exactly did I say or imply that switching to synthetic wasn't a good thing? All I asked was where you got your information about why it was "recommended" that a new engine ("new", as in driving the vehicle off the lot--not right after the engine is built) be broken in w/ dino oil before switching to synthetic? I wasn't asking that question because I was calling you BS on it...just that more than a few high-performance vehicles come with synthetic in the engine already from the factory...so if indeed these vehicle engines needed to be broken in with dino oil first as "recommended", it must have been done at the factory.

Essentially, what I was looking for was some official authority stating that--generally speaking--if an engine was broken in w/ synthetic, there might be undesired consequences from doing so.

I stand to be corrected on this, but many of those high performance "hand built" engines have also had several hours of hot testing from the factory. I'd have to research to find any information about whether or not breaking an engine in with synthetic would be detrimental to the seating of the rings or wear-in of the motor.

I must have misunderstood you. :thumbsup:

Dif
03-22-06, 07:33 PM
I quess it's debatable how to break in the engine but..
I've been using Synthetic now for about 15 years and here's some of the things that switched me over ..
Synthetic oil can be run longer in the enigine before changes... within reason.
It doesn't thin out when the engine gets hot.
It doesn't get thicker when the weather turns cold.
An engine that has been run with Synthetic all it's life does not get all the sludge and mud type oil deposit build up like conventional oil so if the engine needed to be torn down for any reason you would find it is as clean as the day it was built.
This I've seen with many engines over the years.
Also, with conventional oil.. whether you drive it only 1,000 miles or 3,000 miles before oil changes.. it's recommended to change the oil after 3 months regardless of the milage.
That's because the conventional oil breaks down just from being hot and cold from normal running of the engine and changes in the weather.

Last but not least I've noticed the difference in performance which is better with Synthetic..
Although it may be slight.. it is noticable if you're into monitoring your milage and just how fine your engine runs.

The benefits make it well worth the few extra dollars it cost to run Synthetic.

DLE
04-04-06, 01:32 PM
Alright, I have a question for you guys.

I bought my '02 Lade AWD, 6.0L a little over a month ago. It has 41K miles on it. I finally just took it to my local GM/Cadillac dealer to have them do the oil change, since it was due according to the sticket on the windshield. I asked the service guy if I should run Mobile 1 and he said that its an option, and that its just a waste of money. He said regular oil which they use (I think) GM Goodwrench or whatever, 5/30, is what they've always used on "ALL" the Escalades that come in and never had a problem.

So what do you guys think? I went ahead and went with it because I wasnt sure, or should I next time tell them to go with the full synthetic Mobile 1????

Also, on my '02, I cannot find the oil life indicator and the services guys couldnt either???? Where the heck do I find that at????

mja
04-04-06, 01:39 PM
Amsoil here

hcvone
04-04-06, 01:54 PM
Alright, I have a question for you guys.

I bought my '02 Lade AWD, 6.0L a little over a month ago. It has 41K miles on it. I finally just took it to my local GM/Cadillac dealer to have them do the oil change, since it was due according to the sticket on the windshield. I asked the service guy if I should run Mobile 1 and he said that its an option, and that its just a waste of money. He said regular oil which they use (I think) GM Goodwrench or whatever, 5/30, is what they've always used on "ALL" the Escalades that come in and never had a problem.

So what do you guys think? I went ahead and went with it because I wasnt sure, or should I next time tell them to go with the full synthetic Mobile 1????

Also, on my '02, I cannot find the oil life indicator and the services guys couldnt either???? Where the heck do I find that at????

Mobil 1 is better that regular oil for sure. I would go with the full synthetic, it should not be much more money. :)

Steelhead Jess
04-04-06, 02:17 PM
I used castrol synthetic blend on my fist oil change (just like DLE, I have `02 with ~ 40K on it).

the only thing is that I used 10w-30. Should I have used 5w-30? Would it be bad to change now that I have started using the 10w-30?

shinyescalade
04-04-06, 10:26 PM
past two vehicles including current slade have all had mobil one 5w30 fully synthetic with pure one oil filter. just like beer - buy the better oil...

LADE in the SHADE
04-04-06, 11:47 PM
Although there is no reason to use 10w30, there is absolutely no problem going back to 5w30 or even going from synthetic to conventional and vice versa.

Steelhead Jess
04-05-06, 12:44 AM
Although there is no reason to use 10w30, there is absolutely no problem going back to 5w30 or even going from synthetic to conventional and vice versa.

thanks man.....you would recommend going to the 5w?

hornyjuan
04-05-06, 01:37 AM
Caddy reccomends 5w-30. Your talking about a differences of -20C vs -25C at cold start (Lower weight = Lower celsius).

hcvone
04-05-06, 06:56 AM
thanks man.....you would recommend going to the 5w?

You can switch at your next oil change, 10-30 will not hurt anything, the thinner oil helps give you better fuel mileage, but between 0-30, 5-30 & 10-30 you would not see much difference.