: is a sway bar link and stabalizer bar link the same?

gritter
03-12-06, 09:50 PM
searching at gmpartsdirect.com i was looking for a sway bar link kit for my mechanic told me that whats making a clunking sound when i go over bumps. I found a stabalizer bar link kit is that the same thing?

inconnu
03-12-06, 09:53 PM
I was told the same thing too by the shop but i havent gotten it done yet i will wait till some one else gets it done i just wanna see if that is the real problem or its the famous control arm bushing problem. :stirpot:

gritter
03-12-06, 09:58 PM
do u got any idea if the sway bar link is the same thing as a stabilizer bar link?

inconnu
03-12-06, 10:12 PM
To my knowlegde it is the same thing

tlarwa
03-13-06, 09:31 AM
Yes, it's the same thing....

caddlovers
03-15-06, 10:46 PM
Yes they are the same thing, but they produce, if defective - not a clunking sound but squiking one.......in most cases. Buy them at ...you better send me email to tamburinn@yahoo.com and will let you know where. Good luck

ewill3rd
03-16-06, 07:24 AM
"sway bar" is a way for lazy people to say "stabilizer bar".
That would be me by the way.
Yes it's the same thing, although the front sway bar is not the same as the rear :D

97cateraowner
03-16-06, 11:50 AM
searching at gmpartsdirect.com i was looking for a sway bar link kit for my mechanic told me that whats making a clunking sound when i go over bumps. I found a stabalizer bar link kit is that the same thing?
Caddlovers is correct. They make a different sound...a squeak. The bump sound I found on my 97 was the strut bushings worn. The way to tell if you have this is to raise the hood and check the strut upper support plates. If there is a gap between the circular plate and the strut tower you will hear a thump when you hit a bump. Use a jack to raise car high enough to get wheel off the ground and the gap goes away as the suspension drops. You car does the same thing when you hit a bump.

gixxer_751
03-16-06, 12:50 PM
Caddlovers is correct. They make a different sound...a squeak. The bump sound I found on my 97 was the strut bushings worn. The way to tell if you have this is to raise the hood and check the strut upper support plates. If there is a gap between the circular plate and the strut tower you will hear a thump when you hit a bump. Use a jack to raise car high enough to get wheel off the ground and the gap goes away as the suspension drops. You car does the same thing when you hit a bump.

97cateraowner, i sent you a pm, cuz you described exactly the noise when going over bumbs. I've gone on rockauto.com and cant seem to find "strut bushings." you help would be greatly apprecaited. :alchi:

gritter
03-17-06, 06:45 PM
found a stabalizer bar bushing but no strut bar bushings. Got a link to a place to find the strut bushings?

gritter
03-17-06, 07:01 PM
Caddlovers is correct. They make a different sound...a squeak. The bump sound I found on my 97 was the strut bushings worn. The way to tell if you have this is to raise the hood and check the strut upper support plates. If there is a gap between the circular plate and the strut tower you will hear a thump when you hit a bump. Use a jack to raise car high enough to get wheel off the ground and the gap goes away as the suspension drops. You car does the same thing when you hit a bump.Deff is a gap, and i raised the driver side tire up and the gap closed on the driver side. So i'd guess this is the problem! Now the next problem is where do i find these suckers lol

overplayed
03-17-06, 09:32 PM
I have a 2001 with a bad sway bar link that makes a clunking sound when I hit bumps, at lower speeds for the most part. I am %100 sure that it is the sway bar link because after the technician showed me the link shifting with someone boucing the front end up and down, I did not want to believe that the link was making as much noise as it was and decided to take the link off and look at it myself. After taking the link off, it felt OK. After putting it back on, the noise was better but soon returned. I duplicated the bounce test the technician did on a lift by lying on the ground, getting my hand on the sway bar link and had my wife bounce the car. I could feel the ball joint of the sway bar link shifting in the PLASTIC socket. I still have not replaced the link yet but will soon. The clunking noise I hear seems to come from the area of the sway bar link, low around my foot. I would think that if the strut bushing was the source of the noise, it would come from a higher location. Where does the noise apear to come from on your car? If you try to check your sway bar link the way I did, remember to check the upper and lower ball joint of the sway bar link.

gritter
03-17-06, 09:43 PM
sounds seem to be comming from lower then the strut bushing more around my foor like stated above.

gritter
03-17-06, 09:56 PM
Caddlovers is correct. They make a different sound...a squeak. The bump sound I found on my 97 was the strut bushings worn. The way to tell if you have this is to raise the hood and check the strut upper support plates. If there is a gap between the circular plate and the strut tower you will hear a thump when you hit a bump. Use a jack to raise car high enough to get wheel off the ground and the gap goes away as the suspension drops. You car does the same thing when you hit a bump.could the strut bushing also be the part listed undergmparts direct as the strut mount bearing part # 90500057

97cateraowner
03-18-06, 01:05 AM
could the strut bushing also be the part listed undergmparts direct as the strut mount bearing part # 90500057

For some reason my browser could not view the image. I added item to my cart so I could see part number and it is hard to believe GM would sell the entire thing for that price, So my guess it is just the bearing. I would call their customer service.

If it is true it is a good price. The sway bar links are priced good. I bought mine from my local dealer. He only dropped $10 from the MSRP.

gixxer_751
03-22-06, 11:44 AM
are the strut bushings in this image? i've contacted gmonline and this is what they sent me to try to clearify the part i need "strut bushings"

97cateraowner
03-22-06, 01:07 PM
Yes it is in the image. Part #10 I think. I will consult my manual when I get home. The Monroe part I bought included the bearing with the bushing.

gritter
04-05-06, 06:51 PM
it was the stabalizer bar links. $104 for both of them at napa.. Got them at cost :-). And a little bit of my time and no moooore clunking sound! Wahoo!

gixxer_751
04-06-06, 01:56 PM
im surprised they had your part in stock

gritter
04-06-06, 06:49 PM
It was the napa warehouse in our area. none of the regular stores had them in stoc.