: Is it easy to swap oem stereo for oem nav unit?

Swine
03-12-06, 06:13 PM
Looking at an 03 escalade, but it has no nav. I need nav. Is it tough to swap out? Does it make a difference as to what package I have, and what stereo?

Rays2kCaddy
03-12-06, 07:39 PM
It's very easy. My 03 didn't have one either so I bought a touch screen nav off ebay and installed it myself. I love it to death!

Swine
03-12-06, 08:12 PM
It's very easy. My 03 didn't have one either so I bought a touch screen nav off ebay and installed it myself. I love it to death!
Any tips? Just installed one in my 2002 Deville DTS, and it was pretty tricky. Had to change a pins in the wiring harness, etc.

Any thing I should know, or is it purely plug&play?

Just bought an 03 on E-BAY- I might be nuts:bang2:

loanman
03-12-06, 10:41 PM
Any tips? Just installed one in my 2002 Deville DTS, and it was pretty tricky. Had to change a pins in the wiring harness, etc.

Any thing I should know, or is it purely plug&play?

Just bought an 03 on E-BAY- I might be nuts:bang2:

It is just plug and play except that you need a gps antenna which you can get from the dealer for about $100. No different wires no nothing. I did the same thing as rays2kcaddy, and bought my touchscreen nav off ebay and bought the antenna from the dealer took me all of 15 min to take out standard stereo and install nav. You will probably have to go to the dealer to have the vin number erased to accept yours but they shouldn't have any problem with that. Good luck and congrats on the new escalade.

toneman
03-21-06, 11:59 AM
You might also want to mention that not all GM factory touchscreen navs--specifically those that can be used on '03-'06 GM fullsize SUV/trucks--are the same. There are basically two kinds of touchscreen navs--one for setups that have the Bose lux amp, and one for those that don't have the Bose lux amp. Assuming that Eskys have the Bose lux amp setup (after all, the Esky is a "luxury" vehicle--no?), if you stick in a touchscreen nav meant for a non-lux setup, it won't work...at least not w/o reflashing the nav (note--this is not the same as clearing the Theftlock) so that it'll work on a non-lux setup.

Rays2kCaddy
03-24-06, 11:21 AM
I agree with loneman. My 03 had the Y91 option (Bose lux) setup and it was just plug and play and it came with the GPS ant. Just look at you sticker in the glove box and check to see if you have the lux or non lux version. With mine I didn't have to add any wires because mine was setup for it.

notinblue
03-26-06, 11:38 AM
This is a very well covered thread if you do the (search this forum) search under "adding Navigation. It goes into awesome detail on wich ones work, serial numbers, instruction and the all important VSS wire that should be hooked up. But keep in mind there is a lot of reading, so put some time aside to do so. I just got bought one from e-bay this week and cant wait till it comes in, everyone loves it to death from what I've read. Good Luck with yours.

Chuck