: Coil Over Help..

vettethret
03-12-06, 05:51 PM
I have a new V on the way. I have coil overs on my 04 Z and the car is slammed, rides well etc. I want to do the same to the V. I did a search and only Mallett came up. I'm not spending 5k on coil overs, which my Z doesnt even need. Does anybody know if there is a regular non adjustable set up available for 2-2500? I've looked through all the pictures on this board. Does anybody here have a slammed V? Your help is appreciated.:thumbsup:

BowenCT
03-12-06, 05:53 PM
Do a search for 'Ground Control'.

urbanski
03-12-06, 06:05 PM
GC still hasn't been released nor priced.
good luck finding something, there isnt anything

DILLIGAF
03-12-06, 06:12 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/67482-hey-wildwhl-whats-latest-gc-news.html

Heres some good readins

wooderson
03-12-06, 06:21 PM
There is no quality suspension set up for the V yet. I contacted Chuck Mallet personally to get the Penske set up on the Mallet cars. He will not sell the suspension parts without the rest of the $19,000 package. The stock set up on the V is the best there is at this time.

DILLIGAF
03-12-06, 06:33 PM
There is no quality suspension set up for the V yet. I contacted Chuck Mallet personally to get the Penske set up on the Mallet cars. He will not sell the suspension parts without the rest of the $19,000 package. The stock set up on the V is the best there is at this time.We are close to having a quality coil over set up,we are weeks away.:thumbsup:

vettethret
03-12-06, 06:35 PM
There is no quality suspension set up for the V yet. I contacted Chuck Mallet personally to get the Penske set up on the Mallet cars. He will not sell the suspension parts without the rest of the $19,000 package. The stock set up on the V is the best there is at this time.

That REALLY sucks. I have to slam this thing. Looks like I'll have to wait. I'm suprised there's nothing out yet. I've delt with Mallett before on my Z and their stuff is way overpriced and their attitudes suck as well. Looks like I'll have to be patient on this one. Thanks for the help.

DILLIGAF
03-12-06, 06:39 PM
That REALLY sucks. I have to slam this thing. Looks like I'll have to wait. I'm suprised there's nothing out yet. I've delt with Mallett before on my Z and their stuff is way overpriced and their attitudes suck as well. Looks like I'll have to be patient on this one. Thanks for the help.GC have told people in here they are close to releasing this kit(weeks away)look for a group purchase in the next week or two.Perfect amount of time to hide 500 bucks from your significant other.:highfive:

ace996
03-12-06, 07:21 PM
That REALLY sucks. I have to slam this thing. Looks like I'll have to wait. I'm suprised there's nothing out yet. I've delt with Mallett before on my Z and their stuff is way overpriced and their attitudes suck as well. Looks like I'll have to be patient on this one. Thanks for the help.

Be careful, one should not "slam" the V. Riding too low on the platform will require VERY stiff springs, stiffer than most vehicles, due to the weight.

If you are going to go to larger wheels, then slamming is out of the question, too.

Be careful, good luck.

-ace

wooderson
03-12-06, 08:06 PM
That REALLY sucks. I have to slam this thing. Looks like I'll have to wait. I'm suprised there's nothing out yet. I've delt with Mallett before on my Z and their stuff is way overpriced and their attitudes suck as well. Looks like I'll have to be patient on this one. Thanks for the help.I had a 2003 Track Z with a Tein coil over kit and a few other mods. The mod market for the Z was abundant with turbos, superchargers, coil overs, exhausts and wheels. The V is an amazing car and out performs the Z in every way. Unfortunately the limited sales of the V keeps aftermarket suppliers from manufacturing parts on a wide scale. There are 3 or 4 choices of exhausts. Magnussen is the only forced induction kit, God bless em. Wheels have to be custom made to order except for Mille Miglia from Tire Rack. You know the suspension situation. Mod junkies can get what they want but you have to look a little harder and the choices are fewer.

vettethret
03-12-06, 09:45 PM
I had a 2003 Track Z with a Tein coil over kit and a few other mods. The mod market for the Z was abundant with turbos, superchargers, coil overs, exhausts and wheels. The V is an amazing car and out performs the Z in every way. Unfortunately the limited sales of the V keeps aftermarket suppliers from manufacturing parts on a wide scale. There are 3 or 4 choices of exhausts. Magnussen is the only forced induction kit, God bless em. Wheels have to be custom made to order except for Mille Miglia from Tire Rack. You know the suspension situation. Mod junkies can get what they want but you have to look a little harder and the choices are fewer.

I should have clarified. I have a 550 hp 04 ZO6 CORVETTE. I dont mind stiff at all. I have 600/650 llb coil overs, t1 race bars, poly bushings and the tires are almost tucked. On top of that I have 20's in the back with zero sidewall.:thumbsup:

vettethret
03-12-06, 09:47 PM
We are close to having a quality coil over set up,we are weeks away.:thumbsup:

How many inches will I be able to set it down with your set up? I want the tires tucked a little and am not worried about a stiff ride at all!!:thumbsup:

Dreamin
03-13-06, 12:23 AM
http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/GC1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/GC3.jpg

I'm guessing this aint gonna be low enough for you...

Is this mainly for handling or looks?

If handling, that is about as low as you want to go... 0.75" drop in front and 1" drop in rear (+/-)... There's not a lot of suspension travel up front, and 0.75" leaves enough travel so you're on the bump stops every 5 seconds. The rear has load-leveling shocks, so 1" (+/-) is the most you'll get out of the rear. The above pics are the Ground Control Coil-Over kit with 500lbs F / 550lbs R springs (stock is 400lbs). You could probably get away with about 1/8" - 1/4" drop with more spring rate if you have the "performance shock option" - FG2... but you cant go crazy with springs rate due to the limited shock options.

Otherwise to go lower... Eibach springs say they drop 1.6"F and 1.2"R (though people are getting a little less)... and with this Eibach tell you to change to the regular CTS (not load-leveling) rear shocks.

And :welcome: to the forum!

Dreamin
03-13-06, 12:25 AM
How many inches will I be able to set it down with your set up? I want the tires tucked a little and am not worried about a stiff ride at all!!:thumbsup:

With the Ground Control kit... the adjusters will let you go another 3" lower then in my pics... but that would be a mess....

Dreamin
03-13-06, 12:34 AM
Or go with air-bags:

http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/IMG_3001.jpg

vettethret
03-13-06, 11:31 AM
http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/GC1.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/zeemr@sbcglobal.net/GC3.jpg

I'm guessing this aint gonna be low enough for you...

Is this mainly for handling or looks?

If handling, that is about as low as you want to go... 0.75" drop in front and 1" drop in rear (+/-)... There's not a lot of suspension travel up front, and 0.75" leaves enough travel so you're on the bump stops every 5 seconds. The rear has load-leveling shocks, so 1" (+/-) is the most you'll get out of the rear. The above pics are the Ground Control Coil-Over kit with 500lbs F / 550lbs R springs (stock is 400lbs). You could probably get away with about 1/8" - 1/4" drop with more spring rate if you have the "performance shock option" - FG2... but you cant go crazy with springs rate due to the limited shock options.

Otherwise to go lower... Eibach springs say they drop 1.6"F and 1.2"R (though people are getting a little less)... and with this Eibach tell you to change to the regular CTS (not load-leveling) rear shocks.

And :welcome: to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome and the pics. I would say about another inch from where your at. I want the tires barely tucked. Like on my Vette I would go with stiffer springs to offset the lowering. It's mostly for looks. I have the Z when I want to corner. I wonder If I could order some bilsteins for this application with shorter shock bodies. Thats how I'm running my Z? Good looking ride!:thumbsup:

ace996
03-13-06, 05:23 PM
Thanks for the welcome and the pics. I would say about another inch from where your at. I want the tires barely tucked. Like on my Vette I would go with stiffer springs to offset the lowering. It's mostly for looks. I have the Z when I want to corner. I wonder If I could order some bilsteins for this application with shorter shock bodies. Thats how I'm running my Z? Good looking ride!:thumbsup:

No bilsteins.....not for us...:crybaby:

wooderson
03-13-06, 06:38 PM
I should have clarified. I have a 550 hp 04 ZO6 CORVETTE. I dont mind stiff at all. I have 600/650 llb coil overs, t1 race bars, poly bushings and the tires are almost tucked. On top of that I have 20's in the back with zero sidewall.:thumbsup:My bad, I should of realized that you mention Mallett and they don't work on Jap cars.

alcast082
03-13-06, 07:46 PM
Dreamin

Would half an inch lower on the front and the back be unberable on the V????
HANDLING WISE , I don't want to bottom out every 5 seconds like you said.

Is this possible with the gc kit, when available of course.
I can see the V on 19' and a 1.5" drop:bouncy:

rgd
03-14-06, 01:10 AM
Dreamin

Would half an inch lower on the front and the back be unberable on the V????
HANDLING WISE , I don't want to bottom out every 5 seconds like you said.

Is this possible with the gc kit, when available of course.
I can see the V on 19' and a 1.5" drop:bouncy:

I think Dreamins at 26 7/8" in those picts. My car is set up at 26 1/4" back and 26" front. They are off by 1/4" only because I do not have the luxury of the GC kit. I'm not running on stock shocks either I have QA1's, H&R springs and my tires are lower profile, 255/40R18 Azinas. Fender still sits just above the tire though. So to answer your question, yes i think 1/2" is possible! The way I'm set up now I don't bottom out often at all. In fact I have only bottomed out one time since my last major adjustment to the suspension almost a month ago. The real test comes next Monday at LS, at the bottom of the S!

Dreamin
03-16-06, 12:13 AM
R: Your tires are 0.8" shorter than mine... so if you measured from ground to fender, add 1 sidewall height back in... so apples-to-apples, you're (effectively) at 26.4" front, and 26.65" in rear... and i'm at 26 3/4" in front and rear. (Those pics are at 26 7/8").

And we should compare shocks... i wonder if your QA1 shocks have more travel than the stockers (slightly shorter shock body)... Suspension travel-wise, it's shock shaft length that's the problem in front (bump-stop is on the shock shaft).

I'll bring a tape measure to LS on Monday, we'll measure everything out on your car, my car, and Dennis' car. :thumbsup: