: Specter Bushing Install & Torque Specs

JOEYCTS-V
03-12-06, 05:56 PM
I did a search but it looks like some people are still not sure of the torque specs and what is involved in the install. I have a few questions... First, what exactly is involved to remove/lower the cradle? Does the exhaust have to be dropped? I don't remember what it looks like back there. Second, what should I torque the bolts to? The FAQ's says to torque them to 90 ft. lbs. while others have posted 130, or 140 ft. lbs. :hmm: Thanks in advance. Any other helpful hints/tricks would be greatly appreciated.

DILLIGAF
03-12-06, 06:49 PM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html think the torgue specs are here under bmr.
LINK NOT WORKING

wildwhl
03-12-06, 07:06 PM
I believe the correct torque is RFT (really...tight)

Edit: (swapped them around the first time) 140R and 180F is my recollection.

WW

DILLIGAF
03-12-06, 07:08 PM
180ftlbs front (24mm), 140 ftlbs rear (21mm)
Links not working,pasted this from there.

austin
03-12-06, 07:20 PM
>180ftlbs front (24mm), 140 ftlbs rear (21mm)

That's the ticket!!!! Worked like a charm for me!!!! :)

mlg
03-12-06, 07:28 PM
WTF!!!!, lasr week had dealer install new anti hop bushings , when i got car home i jacked up the rear end and retorqued the 4 bolts to 90 ft/lbs as per recent posts.... what is the CORRECT #??? I SURE AS HELL DONT want my rear end falling off...btw the car does seem to have a new better compliance in the rear and hooks up much better/s03s/ than before.

DILLIGAF
03-12-06, 07:31 PM
Thread specs are now correct.

JOEYCTS-V
03-12-06, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the torque spec info. Does anyone know if the exhaust has to be taken down?

DILLIGAF
03-12-06, 09:16 PM
You should be able to loosen the cradle enough to get the bushings in.Just don't loosen all the bolts at same time.Do the front then the back or vise versa.No need to drop the exhaust,a lift would be helpfull.

mlg
03-12-06, 10:05 PM
im still CONFUSEDDD. i went to the FAQ section, looked under suspension section, and it has 90 ft/lbs listed for cradle bolts... take a look . maybe the specs are different for spectervs gm vs others???? i also looked at the tsb for the antihop bushing install and there was NO mention of torq specs...

DILLIGAF
03-12-06, 10:12 PM
Dude,the cradle bolts need torqued as we've showed.GM bushings,specter,all the same torque.All those bushings do is tighten up the side play of the stock rubber bushings.Has nothing to do with what the cradle needs torqued to.This info is in the faq.

ctsvett
03-12-06, 10:36 PM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/bmr-torque.html

There was a page (bushing install) that was incorrect... I have updated it.

Reed

Kadonny
03-13-06, 10:28 AM
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/bmr-torque.html

There was a page (bushing install) that was incorrect... I have updated it.

Reed

Not to be confusing or anything, but from the horses mouth (James at Lindsey) he says 195/141.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/67665-1000th-time-cradle-bolts-spectre-bushings.html

ctsvett
03-13-06, 12:19 PM
Thats what the book said as well and james confirmed. I will change the website specs..

195 Front 141 Rear

Reed

DILLIGAF
03-13-06, 07:06 PM
Thats what the book said as well and james confirmed. I will change the website specs..

195 Front 141 Rear

ReedI'm finally starting to post some usefull information and it's incorrect,I'm meant to be a forum smartass I guess.The faq was the only thing in my life that I was certain of.I suppose theres no Santa either.:crybaby:

ewill3rd
03-14-06, 07:23 AM
Support the control arm, remove the lower shock mount bolt and relieve the pressure on the control arm. The suspension will drop a little lower.
On the right side remove the two 10 mm nuts that hold the brake line bracket onto the inner fender, pull the bracket off the studs and let it hang.
Support the frame, remove the two cradle bolts. Lower the frame from the body. Just lower it enough to slide the thin part of the bushing into place and then you can line up the tabs and push them in.
I lube up the specter bushing tabs as they are a tight fit. Don't worry about pressing them completely into place, they will pull in when you tighten the bolts.
After the upper bushings are in place raise the frame back up, watch the shock mount, it likes to bind on the knuckle. Just get a prybar and move it inboard to rest close to it's installed position. Then put the lower spacers in place and install the bolts, torque to spec and support the lower control arm, lift it into place and install the lower shock bolt.
Oh, make sure the coil springs are on the upper seat when you jack the frame back up, sometimes when you lower the frame too far they slide out to the side.

Be sure to reinstall the brake pipe bracket on the right side.
Do one side at a time (left and right).

The torque spec has to do with the size of the bolt moreso than anything else. Factory torque specs are what you want.

HTH

Kadonny
03-14-06, 08:05 AM
I'm finally starting to post some usefull information and it's incorrect,I'm meant to be a forum smartass I guess.The faq was the only thing in my life that I was certain of.I suppose theres no Santa either.:crybaby:

You want to hear about the Easter Bunny too? :stirpot:

Don't worry about it, we all get stuff wrong.