: 94 SLS radiator hydraulic line

Rob Benham
03-12-06, 03:57 PM
Just as I was tidying up my starter job and refilling the water system, a small jet of water spurted out of the rad. It had been rubbed by the fan some years ago, so I guess I can't grumble.

I have two questions if anyone has a moment.

The car has...from the front. A small oil rad, a full sized transmission rad, then the main cooling rad.

Why, when there is a complete rad for the gearbox, are there any hydraulics going into the water rad?

Will the hydraulic line in the water rad bleed itself ?

Thanks Rob.

Zorb750
03-12-06, 04:21 PM
Yes there is still a trans cooler in your radiator, and yes, it will bleed itself. Bleed by idling for a few minutes before driving to ensure the air is out. After the drive (make it about 5 miles), check the trans fluid level with the car idling in park, warm. If you KNOW you lost a lot of fluid, add some before driving, just not a lot. DO NOT OVERFILL! It can do serious damage.

Ranger
03-12-06, 04:35 PM
I am not sure I follow you completely, but I think you might be misinformed. Right behind the grill (moving from front to rear) is the A/C condenser. Behind that is the radiator. The trans cooler is a coiled tube in the side tank (drivers side I believe) of the radiator. The oil cooler is the same thing in the opposite side tank.

Rob Benham
03-12-06, 08:15 PM
Aaaaaagh, my brain must have fused.:thepan: Of course it's the A/C rad.

The transmission cooling I assume is contained in the left side, and will be retained when the new center piece is replaced. All will become clear if they let me watch them at work.

Thanks guys.

Rob

96-deville-man
03-13-06, 12:00 AM
Would it be safe to buy a 4core and custom fit it. then put a seprate coolers for the trans and oil. while still using the current lines?

Zorb750
03-13-06, 02:13 AM
My Eldorado's got a trans cooler in front of the A/C condenser.

Zorb750
03-13-06, 02:16 AM
Would it be safe to buy a 4core and custom fit it. then put a seprate coolers for the trans and oil. while still using the current lines?

:confused:

That doesn't make sense. Your existing lines are mostly metal, so I don't see how you could use them. You could modify them by putting a hose with ID matching their OD and hose clamp it, that works pretty well, just ensure 1" overlap and double clamp it.