: Two Questions on my Brougham

Jonas McFeely
03-12-06, 03:28 PM
This has been going on for a few months now and i just now thought to ask you guys.I was driving and it did it and i was like why have i never asked anyone about this?So here we go...

When i come to a stop,whether im doing 70mph or 10mph the car jerks a whole lot when downshifting.Its right when im coming to a complete stop.I dont know what it is but it annoys the shit out of me.And if it doesnt downshift enough or whatever the hell its doing,when i let off the brake at a stop it launches forward as if im gunning it,but im not even hitting the gas(it doesnt do this as often.)Anybody know whats causing this?

Just recently,i'd say mabe a month ago,whwn i turn on my AC it blows really cold and hard for a minute,and then it makes a noise,kinda like a clicking noise and it still blows cold,but not as cold(not really a big diference) and its doesnt blow out nearly as fast.And when my AC is not on i just hear this clicking noise,or like a noise of something being switched off or a vent being closed or something,its a weird noise.Any ideas?

Now for this one,which i think i already know what it is.When i make a U-turn and really get on it,or i make a sharp turn at high speed,the whole front suspension goes apeshit and rattles and shake and makes a hell of a racket.I think that is the bushings or something being worn out.Anyone know for sure?

DopeStar 156
03-12-06, 06:43 PM
The first problem you have sorta reminds me of what my car is currently doing. When I'd come to a stop and my car would do the appropriate downshift to 1st while rolling to a stop there would be a strange noise, kinda sounding like a slip. Then I'd take off and when it would shift into 2nd, it would be a jerky violent shift and the acceleration was all off until it would make that noise again and shift into 3rd. Once in 3rd and 4th everything seemed fine. I had it diagnosed and the tranny shop found out my Torque Converter Clutch was kicking in during 2nd gear when it's supposed to kick in when in 3rd and/or 4th. The TCC Solenoid was the problem and estimated $140 to replace it. Both our cars have the 200R4 transmission if I'm correct here so your's I'm pretty sure has the TCC also. You also have the HT4100 where as I have the 307 so your engine might be making a bit more of a struggle because it's much smaller than mine pushing a car of similar weight. Definately have a tranny shop take your car for a spin and have them let you know what they think the problem is. It's free if you go to an AAMCO, I dunno about other places. Hopefully that's your problem and it's a simple $140 fix and not a $1,200 transmission. Good luck with that, the other stuff I dunno. Maybe your steering thing is a simple allignment, maybe the inside of the wheel rubbing against something. Possibly some worn out steering parts like you hinted at.

By the way I really love that green color and I was wondering if you'd post a few pics of your car. If you've ever seen the movie Bubble Boy as lame of a stupid shit movie as it was, there was an early 80's Brougham in that movie that was the same green as your's and that's the only reason I'll watch that lame ass movie. Haha. Thanks.

carnut
03-12-06, 07:56 PM
Also if the stop light switch is way out of adjustment or failed , it won't release the torque converter clutch. Verify by lightly pressing on the brakes and see that the brake lights come quickly. The TCC solenoid was a very common failure on this car.

Jonas McFeely
03-12-06, 09:24 PM
The first problem you have sorta reminds me of what my car is currently doing. When I'd come to a stop and my car would do the appropriate downshift to 1st while rolling to a stop there would be a strange noise, kinda sounding like a slip. Then I'd take off and when it would shift into 2nd, it would be a jerky violent shift and the acceleration was all off until it would make that noise again and shift into 3rd. Once in 3rd and 4th everything seemed fine. I had it diagnosed and the tranny shop found out my Torque Converter Clutch was kicking in during 2nd gear when it's supposed to kick in when in 3rd and/or 4th. The TCC Solenoid was the problem and estimated $140 to replace it. Both our cars have the 200R4 transmission if I'm correct here so your's I'm pretty sure has the TCC also. You also have the HT4100 where as I have the 307 so your engine might be making a bit more of a struggle because it's much smaller than mine pushing a car of similar weight. Definately have a tranny shop take your car for a spin and have them let you know what they think the problem is. It's free if you go to an AAMCO, I dunno about other places. Hopefully that's your problem and it's a simple $140 fix and not a $1,200 transmission. Good luck with that, the other stuff I dunno. Maybe your steering thing is a simple allignment, maybe the inside of the wheel rubbing against something. Possibly some worn out steering parts like you hinted at.

By the way I really love that green color and I was wondering if you'd post a few pics of your car. If you've ever seen the movie Bubble Boy as lame of a stupid shit movie as it was, there was an early 80's Brougham in that movie that was the same green as your's and that's the only reason I'll watch that lame ass movie. Haha. Thanks.

Funny you mention that movie,i about dumped in my pants when i saw that car.Then upon closer inspection noticed its a different color green than mine.I think that color is called aspen green,because it lighter than mine,mine is a darker like forest green.It also really pisses me off that they ruined that car,because it is a pretty rare color too.

Thanks for the help,i think i will take it up to a transmission place as soon as i get up some money.And i will try to get some pics of it up.I dont have a digital camera,but i think my friend may have a couple pictures of it on her computer.If not i'll borrow a camera from someone,it is a great color,its kind of like a unicorn,all majestic and stuff.Now if i could find a coupe in the same color....WOW,i'd probly sell my soul.

pimpin88
03-12-06, 09:36 PM
yep TCC. i have the same problem on my 88 brougham and have yet to get it fixed.

acceleration should have problems also. it should lug and rattle and shake a lot when at the very low rpm's in second gear.

this could be all the shit you hear coming from the front end when you make a u-turn. next time you make one, manually downshift into second gear, to make sure thats what it is in, and push on the gas. it'll prolly make some terrible noises. but my guess is that if the TCC is locked up, it is coming from the engine which = bad.

then try going through a u-turn in neutral and see if it makes the same noises.

just an idea.

DopeStar 156
03-12-06, 09:48 PM
Wow that TCC is one hell of a problem. I'm glad I'm getting mine fixed on Tuesday! Good thing it's only a $140 fix. Definitely get the car to a tranny shop, 9 outta 10 it's the TCC acting up.

Big_Blue
03-12-06, 10:42 PM
Wow that TCC is one hell of a problem. I'm glad I'm getting mine fixed on Tuesday! Good thing it's only a $140 fix. Definitely get the car to a tranny shop, 9 outta 10 it's the TCC acting up.

If your paying that much to get it done. Your getting robbed. The hardest part to the job is removing the trans fluid. The TCC cost 30 bucks. And if your trans fluid is still good and your catch pan is clean you can use most of the fluid again. Thats what trans shops do. Takes 45 mins at max because you have to move the cross member over

Read this site on how to do it. Same trans but in a different car
http://www.montecarloss.com/TCC_Solenoid.html#Definition

You should add the trans drain plug for rapid flushes in the future.

Jonas McFeely
03-12-06, 11:27 PM
Thanks for the link,i read alot of it and it seems like something i may be able to do myself.Im pretty sure this is the problem.Where would i go about getting a new TCC solenoid?

DopeStar 156
03-12-06, 11:48 PM
You could get one through a dealer, I'll bet they're still available since the 200R4 was around for quite some time. An Autozone would prolly be your best bet though, most likely cheaper than a Caddy dealer.