: What's the Big deal about an E55?

VDiddy
03-12-06, 02:40 PM
OK everyone, I've read the threads about what a beast the E55 is but I have to share a personal experience that really proved to me I bought the right car.

My boss has an E55 and saw my V in the parking garage as I was leaving one day. Since it has a Corsa, it drew his attention and he said jokingly "do you want to race?" and laughed. I looked him seriously in the eye and said "anytime." My V is not well known in this forum because I don't post all the mods...mostly because they are very few. I have a PCM tune, Corsa and K&N....oh, and some Hotchkiss sway bars that kick ass!

So... I'm about to leave when he pulls up behind me at the stop sign. I pull out on the local highway and wait for him to ride up on me. As he pulls up beside me (I was still in 1st and waiting...) we tromp on it full throttle all the way through 5th gear on my car.

The result, he beat me but he didn't destroy me. He had maybe two car lengths on me at the top of 5th but there were times when we were solid, neck and neck. Also, after we raced down the highway he followed me through the twisties on a road on the way to our homes. I smoked him... even left him behind where I couldn't see him in the rearview at one point.

For what I paid, I'm very happy with this car. I have also not had any probs with the Diff, although my transmission has the low vibration in 6th. I'm used to the wheelhop know so it doesn't bother me as much anymore. In short, I'm stunned with the all-around performance of this car, including the stereo and nav system. Everyone that sees it loves it. Rock on V-Freaks!

moldowan
03-12-06, 02:56 PM
I think on dragtimes.com I saw e55's turning a 11.7 against a new M5 12.4
If your V ( with the exact same mods as mine) did that well that is great! Or maybe you are an exceptional driver too!
On my Gtech pro i could only get 5.3 0-60 for my best time to date did not try 1/4 time yet.
My viper I can get 4.2 0-60 on the gtech and at the track the best I could do is 12.4 My point is with the manual cars driver is the key!
I was considering a e55 as a replacement for the V in the future, as having two manual cars is getting old and sometimes i think a fast auto would be a nice change.
BTW I hit a deer with my viper last night. cut it off at the knee and it fliped over on its back onto the hood and when the car came to a stop it just slid off the side, got up and stumbled away- no damage to the viper-LOL but the deer has a fresh coat of zaino on its back side!!!
-moldy

urbanski
03-12-06, 03:04 PM
top of 5th gear is the vehicle's top speed, appx 163mph.
you were doing 163?

VDiddy
03-12-06, 03:08 PM
I guess I mean "bottom"....I just shifted into with when we shut it down. I only glanced at the speedo but we went over 120.

VDiddy
03-12-06, 03:09 PM
BTW, this was not a supercharged E55, it's a 2001.

Kidhummer
03-12-06, 03:13 PM
That sucks....u should be able to beat a 2001

thebigjimsho
03-12-06, 03:32 PM
Wow, talk about going from a great thread to a disappointing one. You should handily beat an '01 E55. But you should get your ass handed to you by a new E55. Slight difference.

There is no big deal about the E55 you raced.

1fstkde
03-12-06, 03:32 PM
That sucks....u should be able to beat a 2001 yup i agree!!!

alcast082
03-12-06, 03:40 PM
:bouncy: i guess the e55 had a lack of supercharger!!!!!!!!!

VDiddy
03-12-06, 04:00 PM
Well, if it helps salvage the thread, I am in the midst of my 408 buildup and the LQ9 heads are now finished...they look awesome (thanks to Harold at Port Pros!) and flow extremely well. I have the rods and will be ordering the Eagle Crank and Wiseco piston next month. I have a 6.0 truck block that Harold will machining in late April to take the new rotating assembly. After that, a new Cam, 38lb. injectors and Kooks headers will round out the package. I'm expecting at least 460 RWHP....then I will go hunting for a new E55. :bouncy:

CVP33
03-12-06, 04:00 PM
Your boss should kill himself for obvious reasons. This is not up for discussion. :thehand:

CVP33
03-12-06, 04:01 PM
I just saw the update that this was a 2001 non-SC. I'm sorry to inform you that you must now kill yourself for obvious reasons. Again, this is not up for discussion. :thehand:

CVP33
03-12-06, 04:10 PM
http://www.fast-autos.net/vehicles/Mercedes-Benz/2000/E_55_AMG/

0-60 5.5 seconds
1/4 mile 13.9 @ 103mph

Vdiddy - We're all going to miss you. :nono:

thebigjimsho
03-12-06, 04:24 PM
Some of the best consecutive posts I've read in awhile.:thehand:

Skeeter
03-12-06, 05:55 PM
Mwhoahahaha!

Great thread! OMG I did a spit take with my glass of water after that 'it's a 2001' post :) :) No, the pre-2003's are a TOTALLY different animal. The newer model is significantly faster...

As some of you know, I recently swapped out my 2005 V for a 2005 E55. At least in a straight line, the E55 is a different class of performer. Mind you I LOVED my V and would gladly get another some day, but the torque and weight transfer in the E55 are crazy.

As I dive into the E55 community I'm finding several guys turning LOW 12's and high 11's bone stock, and these aren't fish tales, they've got videos and slips. Low 12's are the norm.

Then there are the luxury amenities... The car really feels like a luxury car more than a performance car 'till you slam on the throttle. Suede headliner, whisper-quiet motor, highly insulated ride, adjustable shocks and ride height, power everything (sunshades, twin sunroofs, etc etc). I just discovered last night that the Xeenon headlights actually pivot in the direction the car is turning, something I've always thought more cars should have.

I think the V still would win in a pure handling contest. At least that's the seat-of-the-pants analysis. Huge 8-piston brakes up front, I think the E will win on brakes. But the car is so insulated that it is hard to tell based on SETP alone how fast it is.

Feels silky smooth, though the acceleration is crazy no matter how well insulated. Seriously, it just pulls so hard as to be funny to be in a car that large that leaps forward so fast. Also no wheel hop @ all, no matter how hard you romp on it...

All in all a different type of car but stoplight to stoplight it should handle the V. At least until you get into Maggies and heavy rear-end mods...

Peace!
Skeeter

Devil_concours
03-12-06, 06:37 PM
Mwhoahahaha!

Great thread! OMG I did a spit take with my glass of water after that 'it's a 2001' post :) :) No, the pre-2003's are a TOTALLY different animal. The newer model is significantly faster...

As some of you know, I recently swapped out my 2005 V for a 2005 E55. At least in a straight line, the E55 is a different class of performer. Mind you I LOVED my V and would gladly get another some day, but the torque and weight transfer in the E55 are crazy.

As I dive into the E55 community I'm finding several guys turning LOW 12's and high 11's bone stock, and these aren't fish tales, they've got videos and slips. Low 12's are the norm.

Then there are the luxury amenities... The car really feels like a luxury car more than a performance car 'till you slam on the throttle. Suede headliner, whisper-quiet motor, highly insulated ride, adjustable shocks and ride height, power everything (sunshades, twin sunroofs, etc etc). I just discovered last night that the Xeenon headlights actually pivot in the direction the car is turning, something I've always thought more cars should have.

I think the V still would win in a pure handling contest. At least that's the seat-of-the-pants analysis. Huge 8-piston brakes up front, I think the E will win on brakes. But the car is so insulated that it is hard to tell based on SETP alone how fast it is.

Feels silky smooth, though the acceleration is crazy no matter how well insulated. Seriously, it just pulls so hard as to be funny to be in a car that large that leaps forward so fast. Also no wheel hop @ all, no matter how hard you romp on it...

All in all a different type of car but stoplight to stoplight it should handle the V. At least until you get into Maggies and heavy rear-end mods...

Peace!
Skeeter
their traction control is amazing allowing such consistent amazing launches.

crowan
03-12-06, 07:06 PM
Good Grief! A 2001? :eek:

Having owned a 2002 E55, I can say that the V should beat the Mercedes like a red-headed step child.

I have to agree with CVP33. There is only one honorable solution to this embarrassment. I suggest a bathtub of warm water and a sharp razor blade. It will be over in no time.

We will tell the world your story. :alchi:

CR

Florian
03-12-06, 09:06 PM
Mwhoahahaha!

Peace!
Skeeter

Forgot to add:

1. Mindblowing repair bills
2. Customer service that rivals Caddys in arrogance and apathy
3. Oil changes that cost 200 bux.
4. As$hole MB drivers that dont know road/race etiquette because they have more money than brains and think that since they spent huge $$'s for the car, they can be pr1cks.
5. see 4 above

Its still a kick ass ride

F

VDiddy
03-12-06, 09:29 PM
Guys...all is not lost. I was about to drop a bottle of tranquilizers and drink some everclear but I talked to Bryan (my boss) and told him about this thread. I also told him I should have wasted his car and then he admitted that he has a 75 horse shot of nitrous, which he used when he raced me on the highway. He told me that was why he was laughing when he asked me to race... turns out he was astonished at how fast the V was. He also told me that he was going to get a new E55 this summer.

I think I won't tell him about the new motor. :cool2:

moldowan
03-12-06, 09:36 PM
350 hp stock + 75 shot = 425 HP
so your vindicated Vdiddy!
-moldy

VDiddy
03-12-06, 09:41 PM
Sneaky bastard just sent me some pics... check this out:

http://quick.dropfiles.net/download.php?file=9bebd8bd8d94773627ddcc55297a8329 (http://quick.dropfiles.net/download.php?file=9bebd8bd8d94773627ddcc55297a8329 )

http://quick.dropfiles.net/download.php?file=e0a0cd5a0840b5d34acd8abcc4777c6c (http://quick.dropfiles.net/download.php?file=e0a0cd5a0840b5d34acd8abcc4777c6c )

moldowan
03-12-06, 09:52 PM
Hmmm cant see or download it?

thebigjimsho
03-12-06, 10:11 PM
A Merc with NAWWSSS??? Get those pics working! Funny stuff. You are forgiven.

VDiddy
03-12-06, 10:23 PM
They work fine for me. It takes a few seconds and then produces a link that says "download." If you click that it gives you option to open or save. I hit open and it opens the pictures in Microsoft Photo Editor.

Zorb750
03-13-06, 04:56 AM
I wonder what would happen if you added nitrous to the 469HP E55 not the 355HP E55...

Devil_concours
03-13-06, 07:57 AM
They work fine for me. It takes a few seconds and then produces a link that says "download." If you click that it gives you option to open or save. I hit open and it opens the pictures in Microsoft Photo Editor.
upload it to imageshack.us and use the img tags to post pics directly

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/368/amgnitrous5jn.jpg
http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5135/amgnitrous28nn.jpg

tonythemongoose
03-14-06, 10:59 AM
:banghead:

What a wild thread,

I've owned many new cadillac's, but their still a Gm. The CTS-V, is a beautiful car, but it isn't even in the same league as an E55. I've owned a new STS Cadillac every year since 1990, yet as Cadillac owners we've learned that the prices go up yet the quality, looks, and horsepower always stayed the same. I read about you're boss having a nitrous set-up, but depending upon mileage and the strenght of his engine the horspower variance can be totally different than what you stated.