: My '77 Fleetwood

Ryan6062
03-12-06, 03:35 AM
I have recently purchased My '77 Fleetwood Brougham. I am the third owner and it has 75,000 original documented miles. This car is in supreme condition. However there are a few minor things that are missing or damaged due to time. For instance the litter receptical, the wood trim that surounds the horn pad on the steering wheel, the j-bolt and wing-nut that holds down the jack, as well as the switch that mounts to the trunk latch to activate the trunk lowering mechanism. Little things like this are the things that I need to find, and I am having a very hard time trying to locate these parts. Is there someone that is offering aftermarket units, or are these things that I am going to have to go to junk yards for, the way that I understand the wood trim on the steering wheel. It is just as hard to replace as it is to find, is this true. If so is there someone that will re-finish this piece. The previous owner has removed the air shocks and has a pair of gas shocks. I want to return the car back to original since it is so close anyway. If I find that the air compressor needs to be re-built, is there a kit or will I have to find the diaphram and o-rings seperatly? Any help or info will be apreciated.

davesdeville
03-12-06, 04:56 AM
Junkyard parts only. That trim piece shouldn't be that difficult to replace. Not sure on the compressor... I'd probably hit up a junkyard for that too.

77CDV
03-13-06, 12:27 AM
Most of what you need is strictly junk yard scrounging, but good luck with that steering wheel trim. Most junkers, it will be in pieces, if it's there at all. You might have to try the places that specialize in NOS Caddy parts, but that can get expensive. Or, if you're good with wood, you could make one, though it would be the odd man out in all that plastic. Just FYI, 77 and 78 use the same wheel trim on all models, including Sevilles and Eldos, so that makes the field a little broader if you go the junk yard route. Sweet ride, BTW.

Good luck,

Craig

Junkman
03-17-06, 12:09 AM
My 1978 has the compressor, but the shocks were changed out for coil over shock units. I checked with a old time Cadillac mechanic and he told me that the compressors always burned out and that they were not field repairable. Seems that the compressor never shut off the way that GM designed them and as a result they had a short life span. I haven't taken mine apart yet, but even if I do, without any service parts, there is no reason to believe that I could repair it. I have checked the parts books and have never found any service parts listed either. I guess that some things will never be brought back to 100% original without finding NOS parts to replace them.