: Aftermarket guages on 94-96 FWB?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-11-06, 09:59 AM
I've seen lots of people do aftermarket guages for Impala SS's, has anyone ever done them for the FWB? I've seen an A pillar pod that fits the SS, will it fit the FWB?

caddycruiser
03-11-06, 08:05 PM
The pillar pod is a VERY common Fleetwood mod, mainly to add some gauges that are otherwise non-existant in the car. The pillars and whole windshield area is the same among all of these cars, so you just need to order the pod and whatever gauges for an Impala/Caprice, and it goes right in...well, at least after you figure out the wiring:thumbsup:

96Fleetwood
03-11-06, 08:56 PM
I have a A-piller pod that holds a 8K Tachometer. It is a Impala SS pod and fits perfect.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-12-06, 12:40 AM
What are common aftermarket guages that you see on this application?

I would do tach, oil pressure, and temp.

BCs71
03-14-06, 05:04 PM
Yeah, the Impala only had gray interior so that will be the easiest to find out there.... so hopefully your FW has gray interior.

Possibly some B-body vendors have different colors available with intentions of Caprice owners using them.
I guess there is always dye or using fabric to cover a gray Impala pillar.

I have gray interior but have opted not to go that route. To me the FW is to classy to crowd up with gauges that everyone outside the car can see right up on the pillar. I'd prefer a more "stealthy" look so I'm struggling to find other places.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-14-06, 10:36 PM
Yeah, the Impala only had gray interior so that will be the easiest to find out there.... so hopefully your FW has gray interior.

Well I havent decided yet on which car I want, but the FWB is like #3 or 4 in my list

I'd prefer a more "stealthy" look so I'm struggling to find other places.

Yeah its tough in that car. Could you switch out the instrument cluster from an Impala SS? Is the opening the same size?

caddycruiser
03-15-06, 06:07 AM
Yeah its tough in that car. Could you switch out the instrument cluster from an Impala SS? Is the opening the same size?

NO, completely different dash structure and shaping. Of course, anything is possible with enough time and money, but something like this would not be an easy plug and play. I always thought the digital gauges were SO cool, but now it doesn't seem any different...just too used to it, I guess.

I do understand the concern over a lack of gauges. It drives my father NUTS (well, actually, paired with the awful climate control, he's wanted to sell a few times...), and I too think it would be nice to at least have some indication something might be going wrong before waiting for one of the lights to kick on.

Of course, I guess that didn't fit with their apparent intent of keeping everything as clean and uncluttered as possible, but it still might have been a good idea.

HotRodSaint
03-15-06, 08:41 AM
Some notes on the A-pillar mod.

The 2 small 1 large A-pillar for the Impala SS is not a drop in replacement on the Fleetwood. The large gauge opening makes contact on the dash.

Any good upholstery shop can cover the A pillar to match your interior.

If you are covering it, then the 2 small 1 large can be modified to fit by cutting the top and bottom off and molding it to the stock A-pillar.

I haven't done it yet, but I bought the wrong pillar pod and thus has to learn what is required to use it.

And FYI mine was black, but I forgot who I bought it from. But black plastic is not really a match anyway, so it would have to be covered in headliner material.

N0DIH
03-15-06, 12:23 PM
It would be cool if we could get the late 90's DTS gauges to work, that would be slick! Or maybe the late 90's early 00's STS gauges....