: Northstar Oil Leak

1998catera
03-11-06, 08:32 AM
I drive a 1998 Catera...yes I know this is the Eldorado/Seville Forum but my question is for those who have had thier Northstar leak oil in that problem spot where the engine comes together... My grandma has a 1994 Cadillac Eldorado and she is having the oil leak fixed. The dealer said it would be about a $3000 job. I found a guy for her (he's good, redid the oil cooler on the Catera) that said he'd do it for $1600. Does that sound reasonable?

Ranger
03-11-06, 12:06 PM
Sounds like you're talking about the halfcase leak. If he is willing to drop the drivetrain to fix it for $1600, that is a good price. Does he know what is involved, or does he think he can do it in the car? How bad is it leaking? Usually it is nothing more than seepage as it is an unpressurized leak and therefor is nothin more than a niusance leak. It will not become catastrophic.

zonie77
03-11-06, 12:25 PM
If he's a low overhead operation it could be reasonable.

1998catera
03-12-06, 01:21 PM
The leak is bad enough that he has to pull everything. When you pour oil in, it runs out almost as fast...(glad it's her Eldorado and not my Catera)... The guy said it's about as bad as it can get.