: Northstar in the 1997-1999 Deville.. questions.

FredMaxwell
03-11-06, 07:01 AM
I dig the 1997-1999 Devilles and am considering one next month :thumbsup:

As I remember the 1997-1999 Devilles all have the same Northy and the Concours is the one with the 300HP version of it.. is that right?

How would one go about getting it built up to around 500HP?

I've heard that some of the Northys in these Devilles had problems with oil leaks / oil burining - is that right? How do I check it out when I'm looking a car over? I mean, what specifically should I be hunting down?

Also, I've been told by several people that Northstar Cadillacs are made for performance and I can drive the hell out of one without it becoming angry with me and breaking down... how much truth is really in that?

What if I buy one with 120k on the clock?
Are they still pretty stout at higher mileages?
I've seen Northy limos with well over 500,000 miles on the original drivetrain so I would imagine so,

Ranger
03-11-06, 12:39 PM
Yes, the Devilles are 275 HP. There are several here that have well over 200 & 300K. Make sure the cooling system has been maintained. Oil consumption is not a "problem". Go to the top left of this page, click on Technical Archive and read up.

Kimura-sensei
03-12-06, 09:34 PM
I can vouch on that, northstars likes to be driven hard. It's not like the previous cadillacs I've owned where you need to baby the hell out of the engine. I drive my 99 deville with 67k miles pretty hard and the car still runs as if it's still 2-3yrs old. My dad's 99 deville with 95k miles doesn't run as well because he babys the engine. Last week, I cleaned out his car. Took me a few days to clean out the carbon deposits in the TB, EGR, and combustion chambers. Runs a heck lot better now. You probably need to do the same.

500HP? I'm no tuner guy, but we do have a fellow member here, mark99sts, who put a turbo on his 99 STS northstar. Look at his webpage, and you can search for threads he started.

http://www.markonemtg.com/marks99sts/id3.html

He did a fantastic job, and his recent video clip kicks ass.

davesdeville
03-13-06, 04:45 AM
400hp is easy enough with nitrous and a good exhaust. 500hp isn't going to be do-able without forced induction, which would be a hell of a project, especially on a 96+.