: Koni Shocks

AllenPacla
03-10-06, 10:32 PM
Has anyone used Koni Shocks for the rear on a Catera? I have just ordered a pair to replace the stock shocks at the rear of my 97 Catera. I know that i will have to disable the self-leveling system of the Catera or at least try to fool it. I just don't know what to expect or to watch out for when installing it. I will attempt to install it myself by the way.

miahcornell
03-14-06, 03:32 PM
I haven't used them, but will for sure in another month or 2. My suspension has been getting so bad lately. Disabling the auto leveling is no big deal, but I want to know about ride height. Keep us posted on how it goes.

AllenPacla
03-14-06, 06:54 PM
I finally did the replacement and definitely, handling has improved a lot specially when cornering. I used to feel like my car is slipping specially when cornering hard at a faster speed than usual, but after i installed the Koni shocks in the rear, cornering was quick and very stable. Ride height was okay basing on how my headlight's beam are on the ground compared to how it was before. I just don't know once i get the car loaded with people. So far so good, i don't usually load the car full anyway. The old shocks are just so bad and I was worried that if I get the replacement from Monroe, i might encounter some problems with the air compressor or some leaks may appear. Anyway, i don't have regrets. The install was pretty easy, the screws on top of the shocks are easier to access through the fold down rear passenger seat of the car. I did the usual disconnection of the auto levelling wirings and tied the sensor lever with a zip tie and then covered the disconnected connector of the sensor with plastic and then zip tied to prevent it from getting wet. With the air supply tubing connected to the original shocks, i just zip tied it around the new shocks so I wouldn't have to remove them, in case i decide to go back to air shocks in the distant future.

miahcornell
03-16-06, 07:04 PM
Great! Thanks for being the guinea pig!

R-Caddy
03-17-06, 09:48 PM
If I have my leveling system disconnected, will replacement of the shocks actually help me, make the car stiffer?
Thanks in advance

AllenPacla
03-18-06, 01:56 AM
I believe that Koni shocks allow for adjustment on how stiff you want it to be. They are saying that the stock setting of the shocks they sell is the optimum setting for whatever car it was set for. But going back to your question on the stiffness, you will have to just make the adjustment manually until it suits your taste.

R-Caddy
03-20-06, 09:03 PM
Thanks dude ;) I want to try my Cat in an autocross in a couple of weeks. Just for fun :D

miahcornell
03-22-06, 04:31 PM
Unless I can get a car ready by the summer, I'll be autocrossing mine as well :) Should be pretty funny looking.

mytmous
03-23-06, 09:37 AM
Which shocks are ya'll using(part number) and do they sell any for the front?

JoeCool
03-23-06, 11:49 AM
i have the koni's all around in my 97 and couldn't be happier much better handling i just wish leveling light didn't blink constantly

AllenPacla
03-23-06, 04:33 PM
Turn off the Auto Levelling dude. Disconnect the wire of the sensor. There was an advice to tie the sensor lever with a zip tie, but i am guessing that you may not need it once the connection to the sensor is disconnected. If after disconnecting the wire it will still blink, disconnect the lever of the sensor and fix it at a certain position close to normal. I hope you understood what i was blabbing about here.

R-Caddy
03-24-06, 12:44 AM
I've been trying to find a sway bar all over ebay, in Germany, Australia- no results... One of my mechanics also said that some kind of air bag around the springs is something many go with. Any info on this or sway bars?