: Transmission Problems Diagnosed

DopeStar 156
03-10-06, 03:48 PM
I was out today and I felt my 2nd gear was all kinds of messed up. Shuddering in and out of that gear I took it back to AAMCO and had them look at it. They took it out and determined the problem was the Torque Converter Clutch was kicking in in second gear when it's supposed to kick in in third and fourth. So it's a $140 TCC solenoid as opposed to a $1,200 rebuilt transmission. It's getting fixed on Tuesday. Has anyone else ever heard of this happening on the 200R4?

AElayyat
03-11-06, 01:06 AM
Many I wish my tranny problems were as easy to fix as yours. But that bill is not bad as long as all of the parts in the tranny are good to go.

DopeStar 156
03-11-06, 08:48 AM
Many I wish my tranny problems were as easy to fix as yours. But that bill is not bad as long as all of the parts in the tranny are good to go.
Well last time I was there I had my pan dropped and cleaned and they said they found no metal shavings in there or anything like that which would indicate the transmission fouling in anyway. That's why this was so baffling but it's been figured out now. Let's hope this nails it and I don't have to spring for a rebuild anytime soon.

89fatb
03-11-06, 10:41 PM
i had my tcc switch go bad on my 89 right after i bought it but my car would stall or bog when i came to a stop after a cruise. it then would not want to accerlate cuz it would be in 4th gear at 5mph.

ChiTDI
06-05-06, 07:53 AM
LOOK WHAT I FOUND !!!
http://www.montecarloss.com/TCC_Solenoid.html#Definition

77CDV
06-05-06, 11:11 AM
DopeStar, what's the current story about passing smog?

brougham
06-05-06, 11:32 AM
Read his other post. It says all about it there.

DopeStar 156
06-05-06, 11:37 AM
I'm gonna make an appointment to have my shop do the inspection since I hear the shops are more leniant than the state inspections. I also started adding a high mileage oil with seal conditioners and I'm gonna put an oil additive in there too. At this point all I want is a valid inspection sticker. I'll save up and get a valve job done eventually. My next job to tackle after this is the rear springs.

caddydream
06-07-06, 08:49 PM
The Throttle Valve (TV) Cable can be adjusted. If out of adjustment it can cause early/late shifting and slipping/shuddering. I'll assume you have a 307 Olds engine. The adjustment tab is on the driver side of the carb with the gas pedal cable.

An adjustment procedure is in any repair manual. And best of all it's free if done yourself.