: strangest thing, my car sings when turing the wheel!!

obzidian
03-10-06, 12:11 PM
Right!!

So as im dropping of my GF at work this morning, i pull out and turn the wheel left to make a u-turn. The radio was off, as usual, i like to drive in silencio most of the time.

Anyways, as i turn, i hear this VERY faint noise whenever i turn the wheel. It does it left and right. VERY strange wince i haven't heard this before.

It sounds weird. I would guess a whistle. But not like the whistling of wind through a bad window. No, its as if someone was whistling very softly. It varies in pitch, gradually though, and its almost not very coherent...but i noticed it.

anyone have a clue as to what im talking about? Is this that steering pump failure tsb thingy or something else? How can i test to see if the steering pump is about to go?

CVP33
03-10-06, 12:29 PM
Definitely sounds like a steering pump. The other singing was the water pump but your symptoms don't match that one.

CTS-VPaco
03-10-06, 01:00 PM
My steering pump sings. Doing donuts while your wheel is locked to either side is not good. You should probably stop doing that. :)

obzidian
03-10-06, 01:05 PM
hey, i have only done that a few times and definitely not enough to constitute abusive driving!!!

So, yeah, steering pump? interesting... is there a TSB on this?

CTS-VPaco
03-10-06, 01:19 PM
I dunno, but I'm about to take mine to the dealer, cos mine's SCREAMING! It's embarassing sometimes, but other times I pretend I have a blower. It's working for now, but I may end up spending money I don't have for something I really don't need really soon.

rgd
03-10-06, 05:52 PM
After my first track event in my car my steering did the same thing only much worse. Unless I was moving I couldn’t turn the wheel. Turns out the steering fluid was over heating (boiling basically) overflow then pump goes bad.

Took it to the Cadillac Dealer (one of the good ones supporting me well) had it replaced. Next track event same thing not as bad. I had fluid all over the inside of my engine compartment, and it made a little whine noise. Did not damage the pump this time.

Since then I have replaced the Power Steering cooler with a better one I bought from Summit Performance. I will test it on the track one week from Monday. If interested there is a write up in the one of the faq's about replacing the steering cooler. It is # 205 +/-.

Be sure to check your fluid level that is probably the main issue unless it is getting really hot.