: Differential problems huh?

Kidhummer
03-09-06, 09:14 PM
What is up with everyone having differential problems and blowing their rears??? I have an 06, should I be worried?

How do they break?

What do you notice?

How do I avoid it?

verbs
03-09-06, 09:19 PM
Use the search feature. This topic has bean beaten to death 10x over.

CVP33
03-09-06, 11:10 PM
I am absolutely forbidden to post in this thread. :tisk: :thehand:

lasstss
03-10-06, 09:04 AM
It may be a while but when the Aussie Diff gets done its going to be pretty tough to break. Its going to be a bolt in with a Ford 9" gear set up. They will be coming over here with it to test it (flying in). Lindsay (James)may be the tester on this unit so we will get his impressions. It will be an economical fix, compared to the alternative and enable some to 'keep' their cars.. :highfive:

Flyboy
03-10-06, 10:08 AM
Marty......I Luv You!!!:rose:

Honestly.......the "aussie thing" happened BECAUSE of you.:excited:

Thanks for keeping us updated as you get more info..I know we all appreciate your efforts here.

CVP33
03-10-06, 12:24 PM
Marty......I Luv You!!!:rose:

Honestly.......the "aussie thing" happened BECAUSE of you.:excited:

Thanks for keeping us updated as you get more info..I know we all appreciate your efforts here.

I beg to differ. (lol) I think I did more to scare the hell out of everyone than anyone else. :highfive:

trekster
03-11-06, 11:14 AM
I read over at the other forum apparently some guy got his differental replaced with the sts differental. Is that even possible? apparentley they said the diff can hold up to 460hp.

Seattle CTS-V
03-11-06, 01:38 PM
they said the diff can hold up to 460hp.

That's barely enough for many of the V's in this forum.

Luna.
03-11-06, 02:06 PM
In any case. the '06 differential is vastly superior to the '04/'05 differentials. I read this board multiple times a day and I can only think of one member that has had problems with the '06 differential. I'm sure there are more out there, but the number of differential problems seems to have decreased dramatically with the '06 differential (this is the same differential that is used in the STS-V).

The *new* differentials (Aussies, Madman, etc.) surely will be a huge improvement over the STS-V differential, but the '06 differential should be okay for those less "insane" members.

Interestingly enough, I still haven't trashed my '05 differential and I'm running a lot of HP/torque through it (but while I love to drive fast as hell, I don't "abuse" the differential at all).

ctsvett
03-12-06, 12:51 AM
Just to highlight luna's point which may have been lost in the paragraph there...

The CTS-v and STS-V share the same differential which is one reason that GM went to the '06 design.

Therefore, the guys on that other forum who said they put a STS diff in their car were right. I too have a STS diff in my cts-v, but the STS-V guys also have a CTS-V diff in their cars... hee hee

Maybe James (time permitting) can confirm with Part numbers..

Reed

LV_V
03-12-06, 01:21 PM
On my 5th diff. Yes, be concerned. It may not be an outright failure, but the whine may come. I just got the '06 diff and its very quiet now, after about 1500 miles. I've driven over 1000 miles in the past week, I feel like I am one with the V. Vegas to Tucson. Tucson to LA. LA to San Diego. On Tuesday it will be San Diego to Havasu. Its running incredible right now.

Hope your (and my) rear diff doesn't start whining.

1badcady
03-12-06, 05:59 PM
On my 5th diff. Yes, be concerned. It may not be an outright failure, but the whine may come. I just got the '06 diff and its very quiet now, after about 1500 miles. I've driven over 1000 miles in the past week, I feel like I am one with the V. Vegas to Tucson. Tucson to LA. LA to San Diego. On Tuesday it will be San Diego to Havasu. Its running incredible right now.

Hope your (and my) rear diff doesn't start whining.

I have an 06 diff & it whines like a bitch:mad: , thank god the maggie's wine
is louder:thumbsup:

trukk
03-13-06, 01:03 PM
In any case. the '06 differential is vastly superior to the '04/'05 differentials. I read this board multiple times a day and I can only think of one member that has had problems with the '06 differential. I'm sure there are more out there, but the number of differential problems seems to have decreased dramatically with the '06 differential (this is the same differential that is used in the STS-V).

My '06 diff is starting to whine :crybaby:

I can picture the GM Engineering meeting now:

Engineer: 'Sir the geometry of the rear, coupled witht the inferior parts will certainly...'

Cut off by Weenie Manager: 'Listen, it's a Cadillac, just throw a bunch of extra rubber back there. No one will drive these things hard enough to ever notice.'

:rant2:

-Chris