: window problems please help

taz600
03-09-06, 06:39 PM
so im missing a the front driver side window out of my 1980 sedan deville and none of the window motors will work. i tried goin to the junk yard and pulling a window but i just couldnt seem to get it out, and i checked the fuses i could get to for my car and i coulndt find a blown one. is there anything i should know about taking windows out of caddys and what year windows will match up. and also any help on figuring out what is wrong with my window motors would be helpfull thanks everyone. :bang2:

Jonas McFeely
03-09-06, 07:13 PM
1980-92 Brougham SEDAN windows will work.1980-85 Deville SEDAN windows will work.Ive never taken apart my door,so someone else might know something i dont about that.Also,which fuses di you check?The ones way up under the dash or not so far up under the dash?Because there is a whole seperate fuse panel way up under the dash that is really hard to get to.You have to unscrew a big connector for a bunch of wires to get to it.I know this because everytime a dime would fall into my cigarette lighter,it would blow the fuse for the radio,and it was an absolute BITCH to change tat fuse.

DopeStar 156
03-09-06, 10:33 PM
1980-85 Deville SEDAN windows will work.
Nop! Haha. 80-84 ONLY.

1984 Sedan de Ville
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/deville/80sdv.jpg

1985 Sedan de Ville
http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/deville/85dev.jpg

Big difference....

Jonas McFeely
03-10-06, 06:59 PM
oh yeah i forgot it was changed in 85,i thought it was 86,my bad

carnut
03-10-06, 07:31 PM
The power windows are not fused. They have a 30 amp circuit breaker. usually silver in color, sometimes with a green stripe painted on it. Located in fuse box.

If a motor binds up or seizes, then the breaker trips then resets once the motor cools down or no longer binds up. If none of the windows work, ck the master switch on drivers arm rest. They were famous for unplugging from the wire connector simply from age and gravity. If thats ok, ck were the wires pass thru the driver door forward hinge, theres a large black rubber tube that all the wires pass thru going to the master switch. Sometimes flexing the tube will allow the windows to start working again. If thats the case, slice open the tube and repair the almost broken wire. Hope this gets you going in the proper direction.

taz600
03-10-06, 08:51 PM
well i hit a good luck streak haha so to speak. i got a window from a junk yard after goin to one and haveing the yard owner threatin to beat me and my brothers heads in cuz he was trying to say his 89 deville window would fit mine and wouldnt return our 6 dollor entry fee to his yard, we called and he promised us the window for my 80 deville but he didnt have it and was mad cuz he didnt know what he was talking about. i went to a different yard and got a window for $40, then me and my bro soaked the switches for my windows in rubbing alcohol and they work now all the windows exept one thanks for your help on finding the right wondow everyone!