: AWD Question

Quickshift
03-09-06, 05:32 PM
Just wondering if there is an advantage of awd vs. 4x4. and if awd is superior and that is why cadillac went this route with the escalade (I know 99.9% of people will not go 4 wheelin in there escalade but at least you can turn off 4x4 and thus save on fuel economy but you also have it for when the snow comes).

slk230mb
03-09-06, 07:17 PM
It's not necessarily better, and some will argue it's worse. I'm on the fence about it. Sure it hurts gas mileage, but GM's thinking is probably along the lines of: If they can afford an Escalade, they can afford the gas to fuel it. Plus, the traditional Cadillac demographic would probably not want to have to pick the drive train mode.

Rolex
03-09-06, 07:34 PM
The AWD system is poorly suited for off-roading IMO. The great majority of Lade owners will never take their vehicle off road anyway. The AWD system requires no thought, maximizes traction and adds to the overall safety and traction of the vehicle...albeit at a slight decrement in gas mileage. I believe the power is split 60/40 (or close) so the majority of the power is still directed toward the rear wheels. This AWD is the same setup in most high end SUVs and cars.

True off road enthuisasts will want a 4x4 with a locking front differential to get the most traction, not AWD. AWD diverts power away from spinning wheels, and some times you need to do a little wheel spinning off road to get the job done.

hcvone
03-10-06, 08:13 AM
The AWD system is poorly suited for off-roading IMO. The great majority of Lade owners will never take their vehicle off road anyway. The AWD system requires no thought, maximizes traction and adds to the overall safety and traction of the vehicle...albeit at a slight decrement in gas mileage. I believe the power is split 60/40 (or close) so the majority of the power is still directed toward the rear wheels. This AWD is the same setup in most high end SUVs and cars.

True off road enthuisasts will want a 4x4 with a locking front differential to get the most traction, not AWD. AWD diverts power away from spinning wheels, and some times you need to do a little wheel spinning off road to get the job done.

I would agree with the about statement for GM trucks, but Jeep uses and AWD, and their trucks are always leading in the offroading, in fact my last two Grand Cherokee's had the AWD system that could put all the power to any wheel needing it, GM uses a 60/40 power split. I am sure Caddy just uses it because for the average Caddy owner does not go off road, or push the truck to the limit. I have been very pleased with the AWD system on my 03', I have been in snow over the hood, so deep thet we had to get to clean the grill because it was so packed with snow, and many times in deep mud at construction site. I have had many Suburban's and Grand Cherokee's with locking front hubs, they are no fun to get out and lock up when you're wearing a suit and have to walk around the mud. :)

Quickshift
03-10-06, 08:33 AM
Thanks for your replies.

Pkonka
03-29-06, 10:37 AM
The AWD engages only when needed. The vehicle is rear wheel drive. The computer will activate the AWD when needed.

Falkolade
03-29-06, 10:54 AM
actually i like the awd the best... its so easy no buttons to push... which means my g/f won't have to call me to ask me how it works!!!

hcvone
03-29-06, 11:37 AM
The AWD engages only when needed. The vehicle is rear wheel drive. The computer will activate the AWD when needed.

Not on the Escalade, it's a 60/40 power split all the time. :)

05 Cadillac Escalade
03-29-06, 12:13 PM
Not on the Escalade, it's a 60/40 power split all the time. :)

Correct. This is why they make the Escalade in 2WD if you don't want the AWD. If you are worried about saving money on gas, get the 2WD. Most Escalade owners do not worry about the gas prices.

Thanks.

Sinisterj
03-29-06, 01:05 PM
Correct. This is why they make the Escalade in 2WD if you don't want the AWD. If you are worried about saving money on gas, get the 2WD. Most Escalade owners do not worry about the gas prices.

Thanks.

Im not trying to start any time of flaming war here but I never understand how some of these people (im not speaking of members on this board) will purchase a 55-60 thousand dollar SUV put anywhere from $4000.00 and up worth of wheels etc. on it, and then complain about buying gas. Im not saying that gas prices are not ridiculous or that money isnt an object. I just find it interesting:hmm: sorry if this offends anyone on here, its just an observation...:stirpot:

Nasty Black Lac
03-29-06, 10:12 PM
I bet a lot of Lade owners could have opted for a RWD instead of the AWD because of where they live. Like the Florida boys, Texans and others who are blessed with mild temps year round.

I bought an AWD because every once in a while, an Indiana winter can pile up on you.

I imagine a RWD would be better to lower and/or use extravagant air-ride systems.

hcvone
03-30-06, 07:33 AM
I bet a lot of Lade owners could have opted for a RWD instead of the AWD because of where they live. Like the Florida boys, Texans and others who are blessed with mild temps year round.

I bought an AWD because every once in a while, an Indiana winter can pile up on you.

I imagine a RWD would be better to lower and/or use extravagant air-ride systems.

I would not have an AWD or a 4 wheel drive if I lived where it did not snow. :)

HUD
03-30-06, 08:50 AM
We were going to replace our 00 with a new Escalade, but decided not to since they don't offer 4 Low. We have needed the Low mode several times since we go off-roading in the Sierras every year. The older Escalade's let you select 2 WD/4 HIGH/4 LOW/or AUTO(for those who don't want to think about a selection). It's possible that AUTO mode would have worked in severl of the situations we were in, but we always used 4 LOW. We were old by the dealer that Cadillac stopped offering 4 LOW because most people didn't take a Cadillac off-road.

hcvone
03-30-06, 09:30 AM
Yea most Caddy owners are not going off road, that is for sure, I find myself at construction sites driving thru some deep mud some times, but never had a problem. :)

Swine
03-30-06, 09:39 AM

The ONLY reason we chose AWD, was because we couldn't get the 6.0 on a 2wd

05 Cadillac Escalade
03-30-06, 09:43 AM
The ONLY reason we chose AWD, was because we couldn't get the 6.0 on a 2wd

Agreed. I live in South Florida and would never have the need for an AWD car, but the reason I purchased the AWD Escalade was because of the 6.0 over the 5.3. I wanted the bigger and better engine.

Thanks.

Dif
03-30-06, 10:29 AM
I prefer the AWD but admit if you are going to do serious offroad driving ... 4 wheel drive is more siuted for it.
I've had both and for everyday driving in snow, rain or mud, I prefer AWD because it seems to work better.
You have to consider when you compare the two that you can't use 4 wheel drive on bare dry roads. AWD you can.
It probably uses more gas than 2WD but I don't think AWD uses as much gas to run as 4 wheel drive.
Some people get 2WD because they are in a region where it doesn't snow.
But.. it rains everywhere and AWD is always on and will give you way better control on wet roads compared to 2 WD.
Even on wet roads if you were to use 4 WD the tires would lock and learch when taking a sharp corner..., like when pulling out of a street or your driveway... they don't break loose indepenedently from each other when the outer wheel is turning faster than the inner wheel like AWD.
Also, with 2WD on wet pavement ... if you gave the vehicle a lot of gas from a dead stop and were taking a sharp turn out of a road at a corner the wheels can spin and the vehicle can spin sideways.
AWD will pull the whole vehicle utilizing all 4 wheels as needed to keep the vehicle from losing traction.
I'm sure it's a debatable issue but just my thoughts from my experience.

Surfer-Dude
03-30-06, 01:30 PM
Agreed. I live in South Florida and would never have the need for an AWD car, but the reason I purchased the AWD Escalade was because of the 6.0 over the 5.3. I wanted the bigger and better engine.

Thanks.You can get your 05' with 2wd and 6.0, that's what I was looking at originally untill I changed my mind for the car. Gotta say, when my friend went from his 03 awd to the 05' 2wd with the 6.0, quite a noticeable difference, truck was quicker, and didn't have that numb/heavy feel in the front and when steering. Nothing like a sports car, but it was a noticeabl difference. And though he didn't care about gas mileage, his mileage went way up compared to the awd he had.

2007EXT4ME
04-08-06, 11:30 AM
I have never owned an AWD vehicle. My 07 EXT is being built now and i am looking forward to seeing what the difference is.

I live in TN and it will snow sometimes but not much, it usually just rains in the winter. I am wondering how "nimble" the truck will be with AWD. Granted, if i was that concerned about it...i would have bought a vette...but i am still curious.

I have an 04 Avalanche now which is the same size vehicle. I wonder how much of a difference i will be able to tell from driving my Avalanche and driving my new EXT.

Rolex
04-08-06, 01:25 PM
I have an 04 Avalanche now which is the same size vehicle. I wonder how much of a difference i will be able to tell from driving my Avalanche and driving my new EXT.

With the increase in HP and TQ, I suspect the difference in the seat of the pants feel between the 2 vehicles will be huge. The ride and performance of the Escalade line doesn't suffer from having an AWD platform IMHO. I am interested in your forthcoming review (with pics of course:thumbsup: ).

Rolex

2007EXT4ME
04-08-06, 02:04 PM
Rolex,

I am really looking forward to it. I feel my Avalanche has decent "pick up" now with only 280 or so horses. I cant imagine what it will be like with the EXT. If someone had never driven that style of vehicle, it probably would be different because they wouldnt know what to expect. But from driving an Avalanche for a couple of years, i am already used to how that size/style of vehicle performs so i should be able to tell a difference.

I will post my review with pics as soon as i can. I am ordering some Rozzi-switch 24x10s Monday. I work in Brazil for an offshore oil drilling company on a 28-28 rotating schedule (i am in Brazil now, will be home Monday). I hope my EXT arrives by May 5th, if it doesnt then i wont be able to pick it up until i return to the U.S. again on June 5th.

My luck it will show up at my dealer on May 6th, and i will have to sit down here all month knowing my truck is waiting on me. That will be a loooooong month.

As soon as it arrives i will throw those 24s on it, ride it around and come back and post a review.

Chris

toneman
04-17-06, 04:34 PM
If the AWD system used in the '03-'06 Escalade is the same as that found on '03-'06 Yukon Denalis, then it is a decent setup...but not as capable as the AWD system found on later-model year NBS Sierra Denalis and Silverado SS. You see, the AWD on the '03-'06 Yukon Denali (and probably Escalade) uses in part the ABS to control power driven to either front or rear wheels depending on which wheel is slipping. OTOH--the AWD in the Sierra Denali and SS comes with a locking diff and uses a different setup in determining where to send power when a wheel is slipping. My point? If you were wondering which AWD setup is the better one, as far as AWD performance is concerned...the one on the Esky/Denali ain't it.