: Another variation on an iPod theme

Digital Vidiot
03-09-06, 02:53 PM
It was funny when I saw what "loanman" did to install his iPod (great job by the way), because it is so similar to what I did, except that I attach the iPod to the lower dash panel, just underneath the heating/cooling controls. This raises it to an acceptable level for viewing, at least for me. To atach it I use a thin piece of velcro - I know, kind of cheesy, but you dont' see it when the unit is attached (which is every time I drive), and I don't really care for the iPod holders that I have seen thus far (cup holder, haginging out of an air vent, etc) I then put it back into the ashtray area for storage, as it fits on its back very nicely. I also (like loanman) have a subwoofer level control knob installed insided the small door opening that is just below the heating/cooling controls.

Anyway, just throwing it out there as another option for those that are thinking about going the iPod route.

jrs05caddyext
03-09-06, 03:07 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Falkolade
03-09-06, 04:33 PM
thats nice too... i do like it...

Digital Vidiot
03-09-06, 04:36 PM
Thanks JRS and Falkolade..!

The other thing I forgot to mention, and it is not exactly by design, but because of the way the wire for the iPod is routed up through the ashtray area, and underneath the cigarette lighter, pushing on the lighter will actually raise the iPod up a little bit out of the area it is stored in to make it easier to grab. The housing that the lighter would normally plug into is not there, just the lighter itself. I don't usually need to push on it though, but now I finally have a use for my cigarette lighter! :cool:

benamaster
03-09-06, 07:13 PM
Nice and clean job. I like it.

LADE in the SHADE
03-09-06, 11:30 PM
Yo Digital V,
Whats the sub dial all about and how does it work

loanman
03-09-06, 11:37 PM
Nice Job man :thumbsup:! I like it. I am glad to see more posts on the ipod location, gives everyone more ideas to improve and improve.

RobertJoseph17
03-09-06, 11:41 PM
I have a proclip solution for my ipod. www.proclipusa.com I really like it. I like how your set up as well too. Good job.

ndhunay
03-11-06, 06:45 PM
Install looks great. What integration kit are you using?

Digital Vidiot
03-12-06, 12:37 AM
I am using USA Spec's PA-11 iPod interface product. Overall, I like it very much, as it charges the iPod, I can use my steering wheel controls, and you can also access things like Playlists as well. The only thing it does not do that I wish that it did is display the MP3 band/song text on my Nav unit. I don't know of any interface that does that, although it would seem that it should be possible.

Thanks for the comments.

Falkolade
03-12-06, 12:47 AM
i feel like such a tool just using my iTrip thingy... the fm siginal it sends is very un-clear and loaded with static...

hornyjuan
03-12-06, 12:55 AM
i feel like such a tool just using my iTrip thingy... the fm siginal it sends is very un-clear and loaded with static...

ITRIP is terrible. Get an aftermarket interface!

Digital Vidiot
03-12-06, 01:45 AM
Yeah, the USA Spec PA-11 unit is cool too in that the sound that it is sending to the head unit is digital, using the same connector type that comes with the iPod, which sends the audio and other information to the PA-11, which transmits it to the Nav/head unit. The sound quality is excellent, and I also use some of the iPod's EQ settings too, which enhances the sound in ways that I cannot acheive using the head unit's bass, mid, and treble controls.

slk230mb
03-12-06, 10:44 AM

When I used my itrip I found that having the ipod placed towards the back of the truck helps, because our FM antenna is on the side windows. In my dads Yukon, it works fine in the cup holder because it has a solid antenna on the front. As for my ipod solution, I plug my ipod in and leave it in the console on random or a playlist. (I'm using a PAC interface to give me 2 aux inputs by hijacking my cd player input.)