: northstar battery

aaron94
03-08-06, 05:36 PM
how do you dissconnect this thing? ive only seen those old battery cable connectors with the cuff that you tighten or loosen with a bolt. and if i replace the battery do i hive to reset the computer?

ELDOminator
03-08-06, 06:22 PM
There's a little bolt in the center of each battery post. Just unscrew the bolt and the whole thing'll come off with it. When you disconnect the battery, the computer resets automatically, (I think?) and you will most likely need to clear a bunch of codes. By the way, HOPE TO GOD you have a handle on your battery. Just helped someone do a battery change, WITHOUT a handle. There was no way we were gettin it outta there, so we made a makeshift handle with saudering wire. Worked great, cept the pain in the fingers...

C170B
03-09-06, 01:47 AM
go to a auto parts store and purchase cheap spl ratchet to loosen/tighten the side mount batt cables.

Side terminals are a poor design. If you tighten too much you crack batt slightly and ruin it.

You probably already know that you will find corrosion under the red term and a little wire brush and baking soda wiil clean it u. Clean every 12 18 months min and you will not be caught w low batt.

Patrick7997
03-10-06, 12:47 PM
Yeah, they sell a little ratcheting wrench with a closed 6-point end on it that is the right size. Just flip it over to change from tightening to loosening. Very handy.

Also, my last 2 cars, the battery posts when I purchased them (used) were so rounded out, they were useless, so for like $4 you can buy new bolts too, which I think is an outstanding idea.

Too tight can cause leakage, but too loose will cause all sorts of problems, so keep the wrench in the car for a few months. If you are going to err, err on the TOO TIGHT side, in my opinion.

The ratcheting wrench they sell is SMALL, so it kind of "self-limits" how much torque you can really get on it. I pretty much get on the little wrench with about 80% of "as hard as I can" power.... but that's going to vary by person.

The last one I did was in the Tahoe, and I thought I had it pretty tight, but of course, the old battery had leaked around the post, and soldered the wires to the battery bolt with acid leakage, so that was REALLY fun to clean up, since the side terminal of the battery had POPPED OUT, leaving me with a bolt and a nut holding my cables together, acid all over, impossible to get apart... what a thrill. I eventually put a cutoff wheel on my dremel and cut the whole mess apart. Anyway, I may have been tired, or afraid to torque it too tight, and have another disaster.... you can see this coming, I'm on a trip, 2 months later, I stop for gas, get back in the truck, turn the key....nothing. Makes a clicking sound, then nothing. I pop the hood, the positive battery cable is loose. Barely hand tight. Of course I do not have my fancy wrench with me. So then I personally F'ed up the new bolt retightening it with a Leatherman Tool, with a little desperation & anger mixed in...

That's why I say, err on the tight side. Don't make the same stupid mistakes I've made....

Ahh, also, if you're at the junkyard, grab an old seatbelt that looks halfway decent. If your battery has no handle, slide that under the battery and use that to help you lift.... works pretty decent for me....

danbuc
03-10-06, 05:08 PM
This may sound obvious, but whatever you do, do not reconnect the battery with the key in the ignition. THAT IS BAD!!! Belive it or not, I've known a few people who have done that, and it never turned out well. Just a reminder...:thumbsup:

STS 310
03-10-06, 11:23 PM
This may sound obvious, but whatever you do, do not reconnect the battery with the key in the ignition. THAT IS BAD!!! Belive it or not, I've known a few people who have done that, and it never turned out well. Just a reminder...:thumbsup:

Yea really...

infin1ty
03-12-06, 03:29 PM
If you keep 12v on the system while changing the battery you will not lose any of your computer's memory. This can be done by backfeeding 12v through a cigarette lighter port that has power when the ignition is off.