: SC install question for those who did it themselves

darvish
03-08-06, 04:02 PM
OK honest oppinions. How difficult is the maggie install? I have rebuilt engines, Built kit cars and restored antique cars, all VERY low tech items. I have even installed a supercharger on a Miata with NO problems. ( Was tired of losing stoplight drags to Prius's)
The SC install on a high tech LS6 is a horse of a different color. How easy was it REALLY and how much mechanical ability did those that did it themselves have?
I am trying to talk myself into doing it.

Bill
St louis

daytripper
03-08-06, 04:08 PM
I don't have one, and therefore didn't do an install myself, but detailed installation instructions are posted on the FAQ here:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/magnainstall.html

Notice in the preface it says install difficulty =10, and says not recommended for do it yourself.

That being said, guys on the board have done it themselves, with varying levels of complications. Try a search for maggie installation.

Brian R.

Mat347
03-08-06, 04:24 PM
Actually, the LS6 is not very technically advanced by todays standards, it's simply a fuel injected pushrod V8, nothing more. I've read thru the very helpful FAQ above, while the Maggie install on a V is quite a bit more involved than the "normal" supercharger install, you should be fine doing it yourself. Seeming how you've rebuilt motors, you obviously can turn a wrench and follow directions.

I suggest reading thru the step-by-step above, you'll know then what it involves.

StealthV
03-08-06, 04:35 PM
It's basically an intake manifold swap with a few hose and wiring changes. Do it. :thumbsup:

GT04CTS-V
03-08-06, 04:48 PM
The installation was pretty straight forward. Mechanically not all that difficult. Just make sure you start out with the 2.8" pulley vice the 3.0" pulley.

There were several things wrong in the directions:
- The intercooler coolant reservoir brackets would not mount to the car as indicated. - unless the brackets were tilted to the sides.
- Belt routing diagram incorrect

I did the install in five stages.

1) Modify the wiper assembly
2) Install the fuel pressure boost assembly
3) Pin the Harmonic balancer (Need impact wrench)
4) Install the intercooler assembly with hoses
5) Install the SC / modify the required wiring / Reprogram ECU with Magnuson tune
6) Send ECU to StealthV for Stealth tune :-}

The car was still drivable after each stage :-} After the install, make sure all wiring and hoses are clear and no hitting moving parts. I filled the intercooler with green coolant, just in case of future coolant leaks. The color would indicate which system was leaking :-}

GT

heavymetals
03-08-06, 06:11 PM
There are some early threads that had very good instructions. Review those.
I did my own install and it took about three days.

1. Disconnect the connecting arm to the two wipers. If you grind on the passenger side arm you will melt the bearing, which you can't buy seperatly(new wiper unit is >$200.00).

2. Get a six foot breaker bar to help get the crank bolt out.
You may have to lock up the motor in gear with parking brake on to loosen the sucker.

3.If you take your time it goes very smooth, but you need two guys to lower the SC onto the motor.

Buy a bottle of ALEVE.:thumbsup:

ronr
03-08-06, 07:04 PM
There are some early threads that had very good instructions. Review those.
I did my own install and it took about three days.

1. Disconnect the connecting arm to the two wipers. If you grind on the passenger side arm you will melt the bearing, which you can't buy seperatly(new wiper unit is >$200.00).

2. Get a six foot breaker bar to help get the crank bolt out.
You may have to lock up the motor in gear with parking brake on to loosen the sucker.

3.If you take your time it goes very smooth, but you need two guys to lower the SC onto the motor.

Buy a bottle of ALEVE.:thumbsup:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Do it, you'll be fine and you have the forum to help :highfive:

wildwhl
03-08-06, 11:50 PM
Just take your time...it really isn't that hard. Though the .faq states a 10 in difficulty, I'd call it a seven. Time consuming - not difficult.

WW

Dennisscars
03-08-06, 11:52 PM
All that.. take your time and do it right..
If you listened to the drive by more than 10 times, your ready..
http://www.zoomersexhaust.com/cadillac/default.htm

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/img/maggie/3-s.jpg

stkshkr
03-09-06, 10:16 AM
You will have no problem if you take your time. The directions and the advice in the FAQ are very good. Read everything ahead of time to become very familiar with the install process. Make sure you have all the tools needed. Complain about the reservoir mounting brackets! They caused my windshield washer reservoir to crack due to the presure against it. You will need someone to help at times.

Ghost-V
03-10-06, 09:44 AM
Darvish -

Hello from a fellow STL V-owner! If you do indeed go with the maggie, I GOTTA meet up with you for a look-see. Hell, if you need an extra hand some weekend afternoon, give me a shout.

Darren - three one four two eight three five four two two mobile