: worth keeping?

taz600
03-08-06, 01:08 AM
ok i paid $350 for a 1980 deville kinda of a fixer-upper and i got it and noticed more and more wrong with it as i go im getting stressed because a couple things keep breaking, i want to know if you guys think i should put the money into it and fix it or jsut sell the thing, i already fixed the ignition replaced the heater control valve and the pcv vaule, i also have a new water pump to install

HERE is a list of whats wrong

-window motors wont work
-a/c and heater wont blow air
-trunk motor dont work
-tail lights cracked
-brights came on twice but now wont turn on
-wipers dont work
-needs carb rebuild
-missing driver window
-needs new belts
-turn signal needs new relay
-front brakes need replaced
-oil change,spark plugs and wires and fuel filter
- front and back bumper fillers (thats what i think there called)

please let me know what u think keep in mind i payed only 350 do u think it is worth the parts i need to put into it

Jonas McFeely
03-08-06, 03:18 AM
Damn,it all depends on if you really love the car.All of those repairs are relatively minor,though could be costly.Try your local junk yard,they may have something nice you could pick clean.I just sold my '92 Grand Marquis and have aquired and '88 Brougham to use as a parts car for my '85 Brougham,i am only using the front bumper,rear bumber,taillight assembly,plastic pieces(surprisingly perfect),and all of the dark woodgrain interior pieces(mine is light wood grain).After that the car will be for sale,and it is NICE,i almost didnt want to part it out.Its cotillion white with a dark blue top,MINT meduim blue cloth interior,cd player,all of the goodies,recent repaint which is nice,no rust whatsoever.Its got the 5.0 which runs like a charm.The transmission leaks though.I'd be willing to sell it for next to nothing.Problem is you live in AZ.

DopeStar 156
03-08-06, 08:13 AM
Damn,it all depends on if you really love the car.All of those repairs are relatively minor,though could be costly.Try your local junk yard,they may have something nice you could pick clean.I just sold my '92 Grand Marquis and have aquired and '88 Brougham to use as a parts car for my '85 Brougham,i am only using the front bumper,rear bumber,taillight assembly,plastic pieces(surprisingly perfect),and all of the dark woodgrain interior pieces(mine is light wood grain).After that the car will be for sale,and it is NICE,i almost didnt want to part it out.Its cotillion white with a dark blue top,MINT meduim blue cloth interior,cd player,all of the goodies,recent repaint which is nice,no rust whatsoever.Its got the 5.0 which runs like a charm.The transmission leaks though.I'd be willing to sell it for next to nothing.Problem is you live in AZ.
Your 88 wouldn't happen to have the factory radio in it would it? And if it indeed does, do the knobs have the little woodgrain in them? I am missing one of the little stupid woodgrain pieces and it drives me insane that just ONE is missing.

Oh and my personal opinion would be keep the car and fix it up. Like 85Evergreen said most of that shit is nothin' to fix, all you need is the time to do it and the Arizona climate is pretty good for doin' that sorta thing. I know I couldn't get away with missin' a window in NJ, my car would be gutted.

taz600
03-08-06, 09:43 AM
i like the car and it does need alot work and i think i will do my best and fix it up, if u need a knob for your radio i have the ones on mine you can have my radio dont work so im goin to replace it anyway so if u want it i have it. i would pm you but i dont have 50 posts yet :thepan:

i need to replace the window a.s.a.p. i just havent been able to make it to a junk yard to get one i have just been lucky without it can anyone tell me what year and models have interchangable parts for my caddy?

tkrueger3
03-08-06, 10:29 AM
Hey Dopestar ... I don't yet have 50 posts so I can't PM you - but can you tell me what the paint color NAME is on your '89? I think it's probly the same color as my '91, but I can't find touch-up for it. RPO code on mine is 74U.

Thanks, Tom

Jonas McFeely
03-08-06, 10:41 AM
Dopestar: it has an after market cd player,sorry.

Taz,anything from 1980-1989 Brougham's are pretty much interchangable.There are minor differences,mainly cosmetic though,like trim pieces and emblems.Anything else is pretty much interchangable,like windows,or whatever else.

taz600
03-08-06, 10:50 AM
interchangable to a deville?

Jonas McFeely
03-08-06, 11:28 AM
1980-1985 deville are almost identical in every aspect as the fleetwood brougham,only minor trim and interior pieces are different,also a vinyl top was optional on the deville.Windows ARE interchangable.

taz600
03-08-06, 11:56 AM
are the trunk pull down motors and fender fillers interchangable as well??

Jonas McFeely
03-08-06, 01:40 PM
Yes,both are interchangable.Some of the motors on the later broughams i think may be different,but anything from 80-89 is ok

taz600
03-08-06, 01:43 PM
k thank you for your help i am off to the junkyard :thumbsup: part pulling time

Jonas McFeely
03-08-06, 01:53 PM
Your welcome.Good luck finding what you need.I love junk yards!

taz600
03-08-06, 02:34 PM
yeah i called the junkyard and they have an 81 deville so i hope i will get lucky and find some good parts

DopeStar 156
03-09-06, 01:46 AM
Hey Dopestar ... I don't yet have 50 posts so I can't PM you - but can you tell me what the paint color NAME is on your '89? I think it's probly the same color as my '91, but I can't find touch-up for it. RPO code on mine is 74U.

Thanks, Tom
I've been down that road before.... They discontinued the color in '96. My local Caddy dealer dropped the bomb on me there. Someone told me it's called "Autumn Maple Firemist." Firemist meaning metallic flakes in the paint. The color name in '91 changed I think to "Victory Red" if I'm not mistaken.

Dopestar: it has an after market cd player,sorry.

Son of a bitch!!!! Ok thanks anyway.....

if u need a knob for your radio i have the ones on mine you can have my radio dont work so im goin to replace it anyway so if u want it i have it.
If it's from your 1980 then it won't work since the radios are different and the knobs aren't the same. Here's a pic of my dash, as you can see the radio isn't the same and you can see the stupid missing piece of woodgrain.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1989%20Fleetwood%20Brougham/caddydash2.jpg