: Starter change 94 SLS

Rob Benham
03-08-06, 12:39 AM
I have done a lot of searching, but only been able to find stuff that is a little daunting. I know itís here somewhere!!

Would someone mind giving me a quick refresh on getting to the starter? I have the cover off, and was hoping to use all the old parts /gasgates etc. Is this feasible?

I also realized that I do not remember how to depressurize the fuel line. I have cranked with the fuel pump off...will this do it? Also it will be over 12 hours off-line when I finally get to it, will the pressure still be up?

The frustrating thing is that it cranks like a new car, apart for the two times that it was not moving at all. I have tugged on the hi-current cable, while the missus cranks, (you know what I mean! :tisk: ) and there is not the slightest hesitation. I am guessing that it is just a dead spot on the com as the relay always goes with a good clack.

Ranger
03-08-06, 12:56 AM
Once you take the cover off, the starter will be readily accessable on the '93/'94. The fuel pressure will not build while setting 12 hrs. unless the key is turned back on. Look for the fuel pressure fitting to relieve any remaining pressure (looks like a tire valve on the fuel rail). There is a good picture of it in the Tech Tips section on "How to Check a FPR", but if you cranked with the fuel pump off that should do it. I think the old gaskets are reusable.

cart69
03-08-06, 07:26 AM
if your worried just pull the fuel pump fuse and start the car it will run and die or sputter then your gold. be sure to get the proper tools to get the fuel lines to release, i used a screw driver and its a real pain since i forgot to buy the tool!!!

Rob Benham
03-08-06, 09:00 AM
Where do i seperate the fuelline with the special tool> i was just going in making several notes as i go....it's just that when you have done it once, it will be easy after that. Rob

cart69
03-08-06, 02:09 PM
the separate right next to the throttle body just take a peek and you can see them, 2 lines. remind me in a pm and i can take a pick of them on te intake for you

Rob Benham
03-08-06, 07:04 PM
Hopefully the modes will get rid of the other thread, sorry for using up the bandwidth with two.

Thanks cart69 for your input... would still like to see some pics to help clarify some points.

Well I have the starter on the bench. It's minute innit? And I did not expect to find and epicyclic gearbox on the end either!!

The main problem was knowing what I could tug at, and what would break if I looked at it in a funny way. :crybaby: Now I know. Practically anything that is made of 12 year old plastic.

The com looks good, but is glazed with carbon which I would expect. Since it is a 4 brush, I find that it's unlikely that one segment being out, would cause a non start. Could the carbon leave it wide open circuit sometimes? :confused:

The odd thing about an otherwise good conditioned unit, is that the armature body has some score marks in it!!!! Could anything have got in there? If it did, it's hiding now.

I guess it would pay me to have an exchange unit...but it is so odd that it cranks so well when it does go.

Intermittent faults are always soooooo hard to find.

Any other experiences of this type could be helpful. Rob

Rob Benham
03-09-06, 02:13 AM
I just can not believe how small it is

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/Picture009.jpg

cart69
03-10-06, 06:46 AM
yep it is tiny isnt it!!

heres the fuel lines in the car i was talking about and on the intake
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/mezmorized03/FuelLinesCar.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/mezmorized03/Intake.jpg

heres a few random ones of my 2 motors
old motor on stand
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/mezmorized03/OldEngine.jpg
new motor
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b103/mezmorized03/NewEngine1.jpg

hope those may help some if you need it, not too big a job, as for replacement ebay has them for 60 bucks or so all over just search for northstar starter or cadillac starter i found a bunch yesterday

Rob Benham
03-10-06, 03:20 PM
Thanks again.

As I mentioned in my e to you, I was worried about the disconnection of the fuel rail lines from the main casting. They did seem to slide off okay, but I was worried that I had broken some golden rule or another. I ended up hanging the inlet unit on strings to the hood and working under it.

I finally decided not to replace the original unit as it was in such good condition. I cleaned out a deal of carbon dust and then hit it with power for 100 plus times in the vice. It did not miss a beat, but that's not to say that it won't fail as soon as I'm out in bandit country!

What I did do, was to run a line from downstream of the solenoid back to the outside, so that if it goes dead on me again, I can see if power is getting through to the motor. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed. RB

cart69
03-10-06, 07:06 PM
cool sounds like you got a handle on it, always happy to help any way i can