: Oil Pressure Light question

JiffyPop
03-07-06, 11:33 PM
Well, I found my 1990 Brougham D'Elegance with a 5.0L 4bbl (aka Olds 307) about 3 months ago for $2400. Need tires and probably brakes soon, but I have no regrets as it is the most comfortable car I have ever driven. I am still learning all of the issues that the car has, but the Michigan winter is too cold to do much serious investigation.

The pressing issue that can up today is the "Stop Engine Low Oil Pressure" light. I have looked around the forum and I have a couple suspitions, but I could use some help. I was negligent in keeping my oil level up until my lifters started ticking about a week ago. I had (and still have, waiting for time/money) a 1965 Mercury Monterey convertible in high school that always ticked when the engine was reved, so at least I know the sound.

I put in 2 quarts and assumed that that would be okay. This morning on my way to drop of my daughter in day care the light came on. The engine wasn't even fully warmed up so I knew it wasn't overheating, so I pulled over and added another couple of quarts I had bought the last night. I could finally see the oil on the dipstick... it must have been REALLY low last week.

I drove to work (<10 minute drive) without any lifter ticking and then got an oil change (with filter, in case it was blocked up) after work. The light is still on. It will flicker a bit when I am driving and go out for a second on some sharp left corners, but it isn't going out when driving on the freeway. When the oil was changed I found out where much of the missing oil went: out the carb. The quick-change monkey suggested the rings are going, which makes sense, but I would be interested in knowing if it will get worse (unfortunately can't afford to get a mechanic to look at all of this, budget wise).

Man, this has turned into a $%^& dissertation. Anyway, here are my suspisions:
1) Oil pump isn't priming
2) Oil pump pressure release valve is stuck open
3) Oil pump is broken
4) Oil pressure sensor is broken

Let me know what you think, and I promise my next message to the forums will be a more easily digestable length...

89fatb
03-08-06, 12:16 AM
The quick-change monkeynice. im sure u need a oil pressure switch.

Big_Blue
03-08-06, 12:22 AM
I aggree with 89fatb that it could be your oil switch or your oil pickup is clogged.
With not supplying enough oil it will make your car tick. Bad rings would make the car smoke and a serious oil leak would be noticeable with spots on the ground or very shiny spots on the side of the motor.

JiffyPop
03-08-06, 01:25 AM
Not a ring issue? Then where is all of the oil coming out of the carb coming from? ... oh, right, the head gaskets... duh. Oh, and there is the smell of oil burning off of the engine block after a quick trip down the freeway, but no puddles yet. No smoking, though, so I am not too worried at the moment. Correct me if I should be worried, of course.

Anyway, does anyone know where the oil pressure sensor is on this engine? Any idea what the ohms should be across the sensor when the engine is off? Is it even worth checking for a short across the sensor like that? There will be some warm weather the next few days so I expect to be slithering under the car soon.

Also, since it is not ticking it will be making the trip to day care and work tomorrow. Is there a chance that I could have a problem on the bottom end? Main bearing oil holes plugged up? (Does that even make sense? I'm trying to tie together some random comments from friends/online) I'd rather not kill my car.

JiffyPop
03-08-06, 11:30 AM
Update:

Well, made it around this morning okay. The light is acting in a way that is making me think it is not the sensor, though. The light only flickered at stop lights when the engine was cold, and it went off for a half-second when accelerating off a light a couple times. After warming up the light was always on. The valves still weren't ticking when I got to work, but I think they might still be not getting as much oil as they should.

Well, if nothing else this is making sure that I obey the speed limit. Hopefully I can find some time tonight to look at this.

JAKE91
03-08-06, 03:08 PM
POP, MINE COMES ON ONCE IN A WHILE WHEN I DRIVE OFF TOO SOON AFTER STARTING OLE BETSY.:crybaby:
SINCE SHE DOES NOT BURN ANY OIL AND THE DIPSTICK SAYS FULL, I AM NOT GOING TO WORRY ABOUT IDIOT LIGHTS, NOR SPEND ANY DOUGH PUTTING THEM OUT.:alchi:
ALL CARS SHOULD HAVE GAUGE PACKAGES ANYWAY.:bigroll:

brougham
03-08-06, 07:48 PM
If all of this started after you were driving around with no oil in it it really could be a engine problem that's making the oil light do that. Bring it to a garage to find out what's wrong with it.

N0DIH
03-08-06, 08:22 PM
Olds oil senders commonly die, get a new one. There is a special socket for it, but you can use a regular one too, but it might mar it up (some people care).

To troubleshoot wiring. Disconnect it. If the light is ok (off) there is no short. If you now ground it to metal, the light should come on. You have no opens if it does.