: How long should stock CTS-V tires last?

cmos
03-07-06, 10:57 PM
Had to replace both rears after 7500 miles..

now it looks like the fronts might need replacing as well (at 8500 miles)

Im not driving like a madman or anything..

What are others experiences?

The dealer says I have to buy the exact same tires to keep the thing under warranty.. that sounds shady.. and expensive.

Thoughts?

DILLIGAF
03-07-06, 11:06 PM
Not trying to be rude but start here.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html

Get a new dealer,thats total BS

cmos
03-07-06, 11:21 PM
well, I checked out that site.. not a single mention of expected tire wear, but I do now know how to disable the tire pressure sensor if I were so inclined ;-0

Besides, I was looking for user consensus based on experience.

M5eatr
03-07-06, 11:55 PM
Cmos, the bunch here can be a bit, well, to say it...I don't know how to put t in PC terms, a bit like pussies. Try to use the forum for some info but mostly the bunch here are very tight and the consensus on certain things is like inbreeding. So do your due dilligence.

The F1 tires will wear very quickly. Some have under 10K miles. I had mine replaced at about 15K with rotations and smooth as a baby's bottom. I chose the Conti Contactextreme's (stupid name and tread pattern) but they are a good compromise. Or go back to a Goodyear shop and ask them to prorate your tires as some have done to get a good deal on a new set. Welcome by the way.

oceanhut
03-08-06, 12:27 AM
the cords on mine were showing by 8400. Dealer wouldnt let me leave the lot!! Im not on my second set of Bridgestone Potenza s03. Love them. got 15,000 miles on the last set.

ChicagoCTS32
03-08-06, 01:06 AM
I think I've heard the stock V tires referred to as "RunCRAPS"... Bottom line is... performance tires wear out faster than all season tires. The rubber compound is different. It is made for grip and performance, not for long life. If they had a tire that could do everything (last forever, provide great grip on dry, wet, snow, ice, hot, cold, etc) tire companies would be out of business. In general, as performance goes up, tread life goes down. As tread life goes up, performance goes down. If your tires do not have a treadlife warranty, they're probably not going to last a long time.

Check out this article from car & driver: http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=10252

They test 11 performance tires and give the reviews. Goodyear Eagle F1 scored #1, in case you were wondering.

trekster
03-08-06, 01:30 AM
I've been averaging about 5,000 miles per each set of tires.

ctsvett
03-08-06, 02:22 AM
Welcome:

on this page:
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/doclib.html

it links to this PDF about expected tire wear (letter from GM):
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/pdf/tireletter.pdf

My runcraps lasted 15k and I was VERY nice to them and they were at cords when replaced.. My BFGs are looking to last much longer than that (with a bit more noise due to the tread pattern, however)...

Reed

tedcmiller
03-08-06, 08:36 AM
Average milage for Goodyear Eagle F1 EMTs (run-flats) is about 10K miles. Aggressive drivers will get less; baby them and they might go 15K if you don't mind seeing some cord (very dangerous). I used up two sets and really liked the dry road performance. The wet road performace was not good. Snow?? Don't even think about it. I am currently running a new set of Bridgestone Potenza RE050 MOExtended (their label for run-flats) tires that, according to Tire Rack has better numbers in every catagory than the Eagle F1s. So far their performance on dry roads appears to be as good as the Eagle F1s and the ride is a little better. More time is needed to check out the other characteristics such as wet traction and wear rate. As was the case with the Goodyears, this tire is not recommended for use in snow.

Dave-V
03-08-06, 11:54 AM
I got 18K out of my F1s. A lot of highway miles. I now have RSAs with 14K on them and they look like they will go 25K.

rand49er
03-08-06, 04:14 PM
I got 18K out of my F1s.That's the most I've heard of. :eek:

I put just over 14k on mine with still a few thousand miles left on them, I figure. I had to take them off in early December (and put on Avon A/S) because we got early snow, and they would not go AT ALL ... not ANYWHERE!!!!

Robohom
03-08-06, 05:47 PM
The run flat F1's just don't wear well. My rears were basically bald all the way across @ 7k @ 30PSI cold. Though they still held great on dry surfaces when warmed up they were getting a little scary. As far as going back to Goodyear goes I just didn't like what I read about the RSA's so I figured I'd bite the bullett and make a clean break. After much research here and a few other places I got 4 new Conti Extreme Contacts @ just under $200 each mounted and balanced two weeks ago. I'm thinking that they will last at least twice as long if not more than F1's. So far my first impressions are that ride is much quieter, more civilized and grip is great. Cons are that they are little soft on initial turn in and you don't have that "I'd better keep my hands on the wheel" or else feeling. While I miss that attention getting feedback you get from the F1 sometimes the V is still loads of fun and I just feel better knowing I'm not gonna spend well over $300 a tire every 7k miles!

GT04CTS-V
03-08-06, 05:50 PM
Call Goodyear customer service and complain about the tire wear.

1-800-321-2136

You might be surpised at the result :-}

GT

DILLIGAF
03-08-06, 06:02 PM
Cmos, the bunch here can be a bit, well, to say it...I don't know how to put t in PC terms, a bit like pussies. Try to use the forum for some info but mostly the bunch here are very tight and the consensus on certain things is like inbreeding. So do your due dilligence.

The F1 tires will wear very quickly. Some have under 10K miles. I had mine replaced at about 15K with rotations and smooth as a baby's bottom. I chose the Conti Contactextreme's (stupid name and tread pattern) but they are a good compromise. Or go back to a Goodyear shop and ask them to prorate your tires as some have done to get a good deal on a new set. Welcome by the way.Was this for me?If it was, excuse me.I figured this person could look in the faq and search the forums first.I didn't have time to type out a long tire retrospective.:thehand:

Seattle CTS-V
03-08-06, 06:06 PM
I have 10k on mine and may be able to get another 1k or so. I rotated them at 4k and 8k. I supposed if I went 7k w/o rotating (assuming this) I'd be looking at replacing them too!

racemarine
03-09-06, 12:37 AM
I gotta be the exception. Replaced mine @ 23,774 with a few miles still left.

blown65
03-09-06, 01:52 AM
wow, nearly 24k miles. I replaced mine at 13k and I actually drive fairly nice.