: Hello and timing

88_special
03-07-06, 08:32 PM
Hello all, i'm new to the world of Caddy's and i will probably have a bunch of questions, cause i never dealt with a carb. or vacum lines, so this is new to me i'm excited, yet kinda nervous. I've always loved Caddy's just never bought one until 3 days ago, 88 Brougham I paid $1500.00. I think it was a good deal, good for Vegas anyway.

My first question is, where is the bolt to loosen the Dist. cap so i can adjust my timing, im guessing it's near the bottom, correct? my friend and i tried to see, but it's kinda hard. I don't wanna pay the $70.00 to have it done.

any help would be appreciated-thanx

89fatb
03-07-06, 09:42 PM
the ignition timing is controlled by the ecm. it should not normally need to be adjusted. i imagine you have problem that is leading you to suspect the timing. well in any case, in order to adjust the timing you have to disconnect a connector near the distributor to put computer into base timing. you should have step by step instructions under your hood on the emissions decal. it should be just before your fan shroud. i hope this helps.:)

88_special
03-07-06, 10:20 PM
thanx for the reply

So here's the thing making me think my timing is off:

while driving 50-55 mph, if i step on the gas to pass someone, it seems like there's no mor power left, and i get this hesitation where if feel my car jerking...what could that be??? also, when im at a stop light i get hestitation and jerking when taking off, could it be something simple like it could use a tune-up, maybe something to do with the carb, and my friend says my car is running rich, could that also, be a problem with the slight jerking, and hesitation. I just bought the car, and it runs well "overall" but i want to get some of the other bugs out. I really like this car, and i wanna keep her on the road - thanx for any help

89fatb
03-07-06, 11:19 PM
i think the problem that you are having is a tcc switch sticking. also known as a torque converter clutch switch. the switch is engaged whenever your at a cruise or steady speed. so what happens is it stays engaged when you stop or try to speed up. to replace it just drop the trans. pan and you'll see it. there are 3 wires.

Big_Blue
03-08-06, 12:17 AM
if your timing is off the car would stumble when at idle and you would also notice that your cars engine with shake back and forth. If your TCC is bad then once you driven over 45mph and then attempted to slow down the car would in a sense boggle down hard like it was about to stall until you stopped.

here is a article on TCC problem and how to repair it if it is the problem
http://www.montecarloss.com/TCC_Solenoid.html#Definition

its a different car but the same tranny

carnut
03-10-06, 07:38 PM
I would also suggest a muffler shop verify the cat converter is not plugged up, that would limit top speed and cause hesitation. Also replace the fuel filter, Just because its probably original. A restricted fuel filter can cause this as well.