: GM Extended Warranty

1toycad
01-07-04, 04:06 PM
I recently purchased from my parents a 1999 Seville SLS with only (at the time) 9K miles.

The original factory warranty will expire in a week.

I priced a GM extended warranty. It will cost $1,800.00 for two years, bumper to bumper warranty, with no deductible (the $100.00 deductible warranty costs $1,700).

I plan to keep the car for 2 - 3 years, then pass it along to my son.

Should I buy the warranty and get some piece of mind for the next 24 months? Or should I bank the money and hope nothing major will go wrong?

Thoughts?

Ideas?

Suggestions?

Thank you.

bob2231
01-07-04, 04:29 PM
I recently purchased from my parents a 1999 Seville SLS with only (at the time) 9K miles.

The original factory warranty will expire in a week.

I priced a GM extended warranty. It will cost $1,800.00 for two years, bumper to bumper warranty, with no deductible (the $100.00 deductible warranty costs $1,700).

I plan to keep the car for 2 - 3 years, then pass it along to my son.

Should I buy the warranty and get some piece of mind for the next 24 months? Or should I bank the money and hope nothing major will go wrong?

Thoughts?

Ideas?

Suggestions?

Thank you. Well, chances are the car will be used a good bit more now than when your parents owned it.And it's 5 years old even though the mileage is nothing. One moderate repair will cost you more than the warranty will, like a half case leak for example. I think I'd buy the warranty knowing that I'd be passing along a well cared for car to my son. Peace of mind has a lot of value sometimes.
Bob

El Dobro
01-07-04, 08:43 PM
I spent $2600 for a 3 year/36000 mile GMPP extended warranty when I bought my Seville. So far, the car has had about $7000 in repairs. The warranty has already paid for itself.

1toycad
01-08-04, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the input...

At less than 0.05 cents per mile I guess it is a good investment. I can always stop going to Starbucks and pocket the savings....:rolleyes:

CBOYLE
01-08-04, 05:59 PM
New and better GMPP went into effect October of 2003.
The TIME and mileage begin from the time you purchase the WARRANTY Not the date car went into sercice.
BEST TO WAIT UNTIL YOUR BUMPER TO BUMPER IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE!
You get 4 years 50k on a new cadillac NOW you can add 7 years 100k.
therefore you can get total of 11 years 150k TRANSFERABLE IF YOU SELL CAR.
I did some research on line and got best price on line from BUBBA CADILLAC in Jennings Louisiana.

good luck
Charlie

CADDYBLACK99
01-09-04, 10:08 AM
I will agree that a warranty is a good way to go. I am not a DIY'er and take comfort knowing if anything goes wrong it gets fixed with no out of pocket funding! My 99' was certified when I bought it so I am good till 05' or 100k (not even close!) I'm not sure if this is possible because of the private sale, get your car certified through a dealership. That will extend your factory warranty until '05 or 100K. A long shot but it may buy you some time and save some money.