: block off EGR

eldorado1973
03-07-06, 08:24 AM
Hi, Is it possible to block off EGR valve? I have seville -97 STS.

fubar569
03-07-06, 10:04 AM
you are aware in most states your car will have to pass an emissions inspection right?

besides, it's not like you can modify the rest of the motor to the point where eliminating EGR can be a viable and worthwhile option.

my opinion? leave it alone. it's not hurting anything.

dkozloski
03-07-06, 10:55 AM
Blocking EGR cuts gas milage per Beezlebob.

JohnnyO
03-07-06, 11:40 AM
I tried that in another car I owned, before the dawn of engine computers, and all it did was make it ping like crazy. When I dialed the timing back enough that it wouldn't ping, it ran like crap. My EGR block-off mod lasted for about an hour, maybe less.

Ranger
03-07-06, 12:37 PM
Maybe you don't have emission testing to worry about in Finnland, but I agree with everyone else. You won't be happy with the milage or performance. Leave well enough alone.

eldorado1
03-07-06, 12:39 PM
The quick answer is no, you can't. When the ECM commands the EGR to turn on, typically in low load conditions (highway cruise), it leans out the engine, because the engine is getting less oxygen and now needs less fuel. If you block off the egr, it still thinks the engine is getting less oxygen.....but in reality it's not. So you get pinging because you're running so lean (as above).

Now, personally, I don't like the EGR. The gasses, combined with PCV vapors makes a nasty carbon-glue that coats the insides of your intake. It solidifies into a cement and slowly restricts your intake.

The good news is you can fix part of the problem by running the PCV vapors into a catch can before going into the engine. This will knock all the oil vapor and heavy ends out of the air before being pulled into the engine. I recommend it on all cars, just don't forget to drain your catch can regularly... Just dump it when you change your oil.

there are plans out there, try google, and cheap ones on ebay if you're interested....

denscor
03-07-06, 01:12 PM
The quick answer is no, you can't. When the ECM commands the EGR to turn on, typically in low load conditions (highway cruise), it leans out the engine, because the engine is getting less oxygen and now needs less fuel. If you block off the egr, it still thinks the engine is getting less oxygen.....but in reality it's not. So you get pinging because you're running so lean (as above).

Now, personally, I don't like the EGR. The gasses, combined with PCV vapors makes a nasty carbon-glue that coats the insides of your intake. It solidifies into a cement and slowly restricts your intake.

The good news is you can fix part of the problem by running the PCV vapors into a catch can before going into the engine. This will knock all the oil vapor and heavy ends out of the air before being pulled into the engine. I recommend it on all cars, just don't forget to drain your catch can regularly... Just dump it when you change your oil.

there are plans out there, try google, and cheap ones on ebay if you're interested....

I Agree!!!!

danbuc
03-07-06, 02:55 PM
The EGR is there not only ther for emissions, but also to help reduce the temperature inside the combustion chanber during part-throttle driving. It's main function is to reduce NOx emissions which are formed at 2500+ degrees. Removing the EGR can lead to pinging, and knocking as JohnnyO mention, which is caused by detonation from excessively high combustion chamber temperatures. From a performance point of view, removing the EGR will do absolutely nothing anyway, since it does not flow at WOT. It's only flowing off idle at cruise (liek when going a steady speed on the highway). The second you mash your foot to the floor to pass someone, or even to take off from a light, it cuts out.

eldorado1973
03-08-06, 04:15 AM
Thanks, I install PCV catch can and I ordered Tomco KLEAN SCREEN EGR Valve Gaskets with Integrated Carbon Filters. I hope these actions prevent carbon clue inside intake. This forum is great.